Christopher Ward C60 Apex review (my 1,000 post)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Christopher Ward C60 Apex review (my 1,000 post)

Post by albionphoto »

I joined the CW forum in 2015. I have gradually been accumulating posts on the forum ever since. I actually wrote the review of the C60 Apex some time ago but never got around to taking pictures of it. When I realised that my 1,000th post was coming up I knew it should be the C60 Apex review. With the advent of Christmas Holidays (sorry, couldn't resist) I photographed my C60 Apex and now I can post the review. Enjoy.

I learnt about the C7 Apex when its entry into GPHG 2018 was announced. There had been rumours that CW would make something special to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the SH21, and now, here it was. It seems that the rumours had been quite widespread and that there was a reserve list for the C7 Apex a long time before it was announced. The lowest number available was #15 and so in due time I received C7 Apex #15.
When the C60 Apex was announced I contacted CW immediately and, after some discussion with Scott Callaway, I found myself on the reserve list for C60 Apex #15. Fifteen seems to be such an anonymous number but what matters is the watch. Isn’t it? I put my name on the reserve list in March 2019 and my C60 Apex arrived in my hands in October 2019. Was it worth the wait? You betcha!

ImageChristopher Ward C60 Apex by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Over time, I have learnt the perils of buying a watch unseen. It’s normally a risky business and often leads to disappointment. I had no qualms about doing this for the C60 Apex. CW hinted at the influence of Armin Strom for the C7 Apex but confirmed, with pride, for the C60 Apex ensured that it would be spectacular. And, lets face it, I’m a sucker for a dive watch.

Design – The C60 Apex has two design languages to follow. The first is that of the C7 Apex. The dial is partially open. The bridge that supports the pivot for the power reserve indicator is visible and the plate which supports the central hands is smaller in diameter allowing hints of the mechanism beneath to seen.

ImageC60 Apex 04 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The rest of the design follows the pattern of the C60 Trident Mk 3 with the new handset. The second hand still sports a Trident counterweight. There is no word mark just an embossed twin-flags logo next mounted horizontally, inboard of the date window.

ImageC60 Apex 06 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The case is the current light catcher case. There has been some borrowing from the C60 Elite with the bezel, crown and helium escape valve coming from that watch. Given the size of the watch this is an eyecatching design. The contrast of orange and blue works well and the anodized, machined bridge and power reserve indicator create an asymetric design which hides in plain sight due to the colours chosen. More than any other watch I own this watch looks better when its clean. I haven’t yet found myself compulsively cleaning the sapphire crystal to maintain the “pop” and hope I don’t but, when clean, there is nothing like this.

The design is let down by the Mk 3 hand set. I liked the Mk 2 Trident hour hand and was sad to see it go. The new Seiko-esque hour hand is not to my taste at all. It disappears against the exposed central pillar mechanism for the hours, minutes and second hands and looks like an after thought. Due to the great lume this is my only CW that might be more legible in the dark. I’ll live with the stumpy hour hand on this watch but don’t think I’ll buy another Trident with this handset.

ImageChristopher Ward C60 Apex (lume shot) by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The different surface finishes of the case complement the milled coin-edges of the bezel. Most importantly, the case disguises the bulk of the watch. The SH21 has been described in many ways, achievement, technical marvel, etc but… but it has never been described as svelte. In automatic form it’s a big movement and leads to a high case (my micrometer says that this is 16.67mm tall and 49 mm lug to lug). I have shown this watch to quite a few people and, in many cases have seen them do a double take when they realise just how deep the case is. The overall design hides that very well. I’m sure the sapphire caseback doesn’t help maintain a low profile; you’ll notice the height.

My C60 Apex is on the bracelet. I have seen it on the orange and blue hybrid strap and have been shown an alternative on ostritch leather. I’m reserving judgement on both options right now. The bracelet is the Mk 3 trident bracelet with brushed links. The centre link is quite broad. It suits the case but I think I preferred the Mk 2 bracelet with brushed and polished links. The bracelet offers the two most important innovations in horology today: Quick release pins and push button micro-adjustment. This is an extremely user-friendly bracelet even if mine seems to be quite stiffly articulated.

The real star of any CW Apex watch isn’t the dial, it isn’t the case, it isn’t the bracelet, it’s the back.The open case back on the C7 Apex was a joy but the the C60 Apex moves things onto an entirely new level.

ImageC60 Apex 07 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The bridgework has been opened up much more. The tungsten rotor in orange contrasts against the blue bridgework and the SH21 mechanism. The power reserve barrels add an air of solidity (like the wheels of a train). If anything the bridgework and the twin barrels remind me of the bogie arrangement of a sherman tank. If the dial catches people’s attention then the watch back will leave them breathless.

ImageC60 Apex 08 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Quibbles – I’ve been laudatory about the C60 Apex so far. It’s an amazing achievement and visually stunning. These quibbles relate to my C60 Apex and may not apply to others.
The bezel is a 120 click unidirectional bezel. It turns with with a satisfying mechanical click. There is quite a lot of backlash though. I can move mine a few degrees in either direction. I haven’t seen this much lash in a bezel mechanism for a long time. The bezel is also very easy to turn. On a number of occasions I have found it has been inadvertently moved from the twelve o’clock position. This is not what I expect. None of my other dive watches do this including my Mk 2 and Mk 2.5 C60 Tridents.

The bracelet seems to be quite stiffly articulated. It does not flex particularly easily and it squeaks. I can hold the watch head horizontally and wave the strap about making it squeak. The squeak seems to come from the end link and the link next to it. This is most noticeable when I put the watch on in the morning. It will squeak as it is put around my wrist. In daily use the squeak is unnoticeable but at the start and end of the day I hear it when I put the watch on or take the watch off. On my C60 Apex the crown is very stiff. It winds easily enough but when it comes to changing the time or the date the crown and stem are very stiff. So stiff, in fact, that I am reluctant to alter the time or date in case the force needed to turn the stem should break it.

Conclusions - I waited a long time for my C60 Apex to arrive. It was worth the wait. Visually it is a large watch which makes no attempt to hide itself. I’m a dinosaur and I like a large watch so this suits me down to the ground. The work that has gone into the watch is a real tribute to both CW and Armin Strom. It’s not perfect and is let down by the handset. This watch could well become one of my favourites. It’s up against my Speedmaster Mk 2 and SeaMaster Ref 210. This is strong competition and is a sign of the design excellence and innate quality of the watch that it will go against these two. I’m going to put my name down for the “Aviation Apex” on the strength of this design. I just wonder how CW will make a “dress Apex” with an SH21 inside. For now the future looks bright at the C60 Apex.

ImageC60 Apex 03 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

ImageC60 Apex 05 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Apex review (my 1,000 post)

Post by H0rati0 »

Great review and very helpful. I agree about the handset, the MK2 was better and I too am sorry to see them go.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Quality and balanced review. It does look excellent on bracelet.

I guess you have already tried to find a solution to the squeaking bracelet but I had a similar experience with my MK3 Trident. Plenty of liquid soap worked into the bracelet and then rinsed well, fixed it immediately and I haven't heard it squeak since.
downer

Post by downer »

Excellent, well balanced review. I learned something new about the watch.

Thanks for taking the time to put the review together, and congratulations on 1,000 posts.
Richard
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

A1soknownas wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:06 pm Quality and balanced review. It does look excellent on bracelet.

I guess you have already tried to find a solution to the squeaking bracelet but I had a similar experience with my MK3 Trident. Plenty of liquid soap worked into the bracelet and then rinsed well, fixed it immediately and I haven't heard it squeak since.
Glad you liked the review. I've worn the C60 Apex on and off a number of times since I wrote this review. The squeak has gradually gone away. I wonder if taking it off the watch head a couple of times (as I did) might have fixed it.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

downer wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:51 pm Excellent, well balanced review. I learned something new about the watch.

Thanks for taking the time to put the review together, and congratulations on 1,000 posts.
Thanks Richard.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 pm Great review and very helpful. I agree about the handset, the MK2 was better and I too am sorry to see them go.
Thanks.
Mark
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks for taking the time to post this great review with some super pictures, Mark. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I agree with AVO ^^..

Excellent..Thank you. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Great review Mark. :thumbup: I’m pleased I didn’t read this yesterday or I might have been tempted to add an Apex on a hybrid strap to add to the one I have on a bracelet. :lol:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Clach77 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:50 am Great review Mark. :thumbup: I’m pleased I didn’t read this yesterday or I might have been tempted to add an Apex on a hybrid strap to add to the one I have on a bracelet. :lol:
I'm not sure I'd go that far. Both the hybrid strap and the bracelet have the quick release pins so swapping from one to another is easy. It's probably better to start saving for the C1 Apex due in 2021 (not 2020 as first thought).
Mark
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting well put together review. :thumbup:

I liked the look of the watch when I tried it on and was tempted.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

An excellent review of a brilliant watch.
Saw one at the London GTG and was very impressed by it.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Some super photos in there Mark- enjoyed reading that.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Now with images as attachments
C60 Apex 08.jpg
C60 Apex 07.jpg
C60 Apex 06.jpg