Review of Watch Review Contest #2 Prize - C65 Trident Diver

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Review of Watch Review Contest #2 Prize - C65 Trident Diver

Post by mvlow »

This is my review of the Christopher Ward C65 Vintage Diver, Model #C65-41H3H1-S0BB0-VC.

I won this C65 Trident Diver for my entry in the Christopher Ward Forum watch review contest #2. When I received notification from the forum administrator and from Christopher Ward Customer Services that I had won this watch, I was over the moon. I eagerly awaited it’s arrival so I could compare it to the C65 Trident GMT, and the C60 Trident Pro that I already owned.

I was pleasantly surprised when I received the shipping notification from Christopher Ward indicating they had sent it to me via DHL Express shipping on October 8th. I received the watch 8 days later on October 16th.

When I received the watch, the outside packing box was dented on two sides, but due to the excellent design of the foam trays protecting the watch box inside, there was no damage to the inner box or to the watch.

My initial impression of the aesthetics of the C65 Diver was positive. The 41mm size is perfect for this watch and the blue color is beautiful. This is currently my only watch with a blue dial, which is a nice addition to the black and grey dial watches in my collection.

On the wrist the watch looks stunning in a simple way. The dial is clean and uncluttered. The lack of a date window only enhancing its simple design. The subtle de-bossed Twin Flags logo is a nice addition to the dial. The thin case sits nice and flat against my 7.25 inch wrist. The Vintage Oak Leather strap contrasts with the the blue dial and bezel of the C65. The strap is comfortable and appears to be well made. The quick release spring bars are a nice touch. For those of us who like to change straps often they can be a time saver and help avoid those accidental scratches to the back of the lugs from a slip of the spring bar tool.

Technical Specifications

Diameter: 41mm
Caliber: Selitta SW 210 hand wound, 19 jewel movement
Lug Width: 22mm
Height: 11.55mm
Weight: 65g
Water Resistance: 150 meters
Crystal: Glass Box Sapphire
Power Reserve: 42 hours

The signed crown does not screw down, which makes it easy to wind and set the time on the C65. Even without the addition of a screw down crown, Christopher Ward has managed to design the watch with a 150 meter water resistance rating which is more than enough water resistance for everyday use and a dip in the swimming pool.

The glass box sapphire crystal suits the vintage look of this watch perfectly. Christopher Ward could have saved money by using a flat or regular domed crystal, but instead included a box crystal, adding to the incredible value of this watch for the price they are asking.

The case design is the same as on the C65 Trident GMT. The sides of the case alternate between brushed and polished. Most watches in this price range have much simpler case designs and finishes to save costs.

At 11.55mm the case is slightly slimmer than the 12.05mm case on the C65 Trident GMT, made possible by the hand wound Selitta movement. When I compared the watches on the wrist, the difference in height is barely perceptible. Even when placing the C65 GMT and the C65 Diver next to each other the difference in height is difficult to see.

The case back is identical to the C65 GMT and many other Christopher Ward watches, with a deep stamped Trident logo as well as the water resistance, model and serial number engraved into the case. The attention to detail on the case back is yet another example of Christopher Ward putting in the extra effort to ensure the entire watch is high quality for the price.

I was not sure at first how I would like the lack of a date window, but I quickly began to appreciate its simplicity in design and in function on a manual wind watch. It makes a nice change to be able to quickly set the time after the watch has stopped without having to worry about also setting the date.

After wearing and testing the watch for the past week here are my impressions and findings. I have fully wound the watch three times to see how long it would last before winding down completely. Each time, it took approximately 59 turns of the crown for me to fully wind the watch. All of the other watches in my collection have automatic or quartz movements, so I was a little concerned with the possibility of over winding a watch with a manual wind movement. I needn’t have worried, however, as the winding on the C65 Trident Diver is smooth and there is an obvious stop so you know when the watch is fully wound.

My first full wind lasted 46 hours and 20 minutes, a full 4 hours and 20 minutes longer than the specifications indicate. After 24 hours, the C65 Diver had only gained 3 seconds, which is well within the advertised specifications of +15/-15 seconds per day for this movement. The subsequent two winds also lasted over 46 hours and gained an average of 4 seconds each 24 hour period.

The 120 click unidirectional bezel, positively clicks into position and has very little slack.

I have two other Christopher Ward vintage style watches, the C60 Trident Pro Vintage, and the C65 Trident GMT. There are some similarities between these watches, especially the GMT and C65 Diver, but there are enough differences to make it a pleasing addition to my collection.

People seem to either really like or hate vintage lume on watches, I personally like vintage lume and think it works well with the vintage design of the C65 Diver.

The color of the lume in daylight is subtly different on all three of my Christopher Ward vintage watches. The C60 has a slightly brighter yellow lume than the other two watches and the lume on the C65 Diver has a lightly more tan hue than the bone colored hue of the C65 GMT. I find it interesting that Christopher Ward has taken the effort to try to match the lume to the design of the watches. I can only assume it would have been much easier and less expensive to paint all of their vintage watches with the same color lume,.

In the dark, the lume on the C65 Diver and C65 GMT are very similar. The lume on the C60 Trident Pro Vintage by comparison is a lighter color and is slightly brighter. As you can see from the picture, the brightness of the lume on the C60 Trident Vintage also appears to be a little more visible because of the larger surface area of the indices, hands, and bezel pip.

Comparing the C65 Trident Diver to other watches in my collection the quality is comparable to more expensive watches such as my Sinn 104. The lume on C65 Trident Diver is not as bright as the lume on my Sinn or my Seiko SKX, but it is acceptable.

Discussing likes and dislikes of any watch is highly subjective and personal as we all have different opinions. The only thing I would change on the C65 Trident Diver would be the addition of an automatic movement. As I stated above, there are some advantages to having a manual wind watch with no date window in my collection. That being said, I prefer automatic movements that I rarely have to wind unless I leave them sitting in my watch box for an extended period of time. The very subtle difference in height between the C65 Trident Diver and the automatic C65 GMT further emphasizes to me that there would be no loss in aesthetics if this watch had been made with an automatic movement. This is just a personal opinion. I know there are many that will prefer a manual wind movement on this watch.

This is a very minor preference on my part and in no way would it stop me from enjoying this watch. There is no perfect watch out there and I have included this observation for the sake of a balanced review.

In conclusion, I am impressed with the design aesthetics, attention to detail, and build quality of the C65 Trident Diver. It makes a nice change to have a watch with a blue dial in my collection to put on when I want to wear something just a little different. If you are looking for a vintage inspired dive watch that has a touch of dressiness, this is a great watch to add to your collection. I cannot emphasize enough the amazing value you are getting for the price that Christopher Ward charges for the C65 Trident Diver.

I want to thank the forum administrator and forum moderators for choosing my review of the C65 GMT as the winner of watch review contest #2 and also thank Christopher Ward for being kind enough to donate the C65 Trident Diver as the prize.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Review of Watch Review Contest #2 Prize - C65 Trident Diver

Post by MiniMpi »

A fantastic review yet again Malcolm, even as good as your C65 Trident GMT review if that's possible :clap:
Extremely well done review which gives you a true hands on feel of the watch perfect for a potential buyer.
Congratulations once again for winning this lovely watch, very well deserved :thumbup:
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 pm A fantastic review yet again Malcolm, even as good as your C65 Trident GMT review if that's possible :clap:
Extremely well done review which gives you a true hands on feel of the watch perfect for a potential buyer.
Congratulations once again for winning this lovely watch, very well deserved :thumbup:
Thanks for the kind words Ferg.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Truly excellent review Malcolm, again, made all the more interesting with the comparison to your similar, but different, C65 Diver GMT.

Top notch.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:59 pm Truly excellent review Malcolm, again, made all the more interesting with the comparison to your similar, but different, C65 Diver GMT.

Top notch.

Guy
Thanks Guy.
Malcolm

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thank you, Malcolm, for another extremely well written and thoughtful review. Interesting to read your thoughts on manual wind watches, which I tend to prefer, as opposed to automatics.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Another great review of a very attractive watch.

I agree with your preference of an auto over hand wound although I appreciate it's part of giving the watch that vintage design.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:57 am Thank you, Malcolm, for another extremely well written and thoughtful review. Interesting to read your thoughts on manual wind watches, which I tend to prefer, as opposed to automatics.
Thanks Steve. Even though hand wind watches are not typically my first choice, there is so much about this particular watch that I like, I have a feeling the hand wound movement will grow on me. It is definitely nice to have variety in any watch collection and that includes a variety of movements.
Malcolm

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 am Another great review of a very attractive watch.

I agree with your preference of an auto over hand wound although I appreciate it's part of giving the watch that vintage design.
Thanks for kind words Patrick. I agree that the hand wound movement suits the vintage design of this watch.
Malcolm

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations again and also on an excellent review!

Thanks so much for posting. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Good review and excellent photos!
Tim
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

timor54 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 pm Good review and excellent photos!
Kip wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 pm Congratulations again and also on an excellent review!

Thanks so much for posting. :thumbup:
Thanks Kip and Tim.
Malcolm

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Just read this again having bought a ‘nearly new’ blue version in the sale.

I’m keen to add a non-date watch to my collection. I tend to wind my watches anyway as I rotate through them every 1-2 days, so manual winding isn’t an issue for me.

Again, great review which confirms that I’ve made a good impulsive purchase. Looking forward to receiving it.
Tim
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I have a friend who is strongly considering this watch and found this review to be absolutely outstanding!

Extremely thorough, balanced and appreciated the comparison to the C60 and C65 GMT.

Very helpful! I’ve forwarded it to him as well....

PS: He ordered it btw!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Praise indeed, Malcolm. Better hope it lives up to your description! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)