C8 Flyer Automatic P2725 (WRC2)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
DavidT

C8 Flyer Automatic P2725 (WRC2)

Post by DavidT »

I am reviewing my lovely C8 Flyer P2725 automatic.

Just a bit of background: I was using an Apple watch for about 2 years. While it is a fun piece of technology, the Apple watch lacks a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’. I was also felt like I was being bombarded by notifications and now I want a more peaceful and stylish life. The Apple watch was bought for me by my wife as a substitute for my two decades old Breitling Colt automatic, which needed to be serviced at a cost of £500+. The idea was that I would keep the Breitling for nice occasions and the Apple as a day watch. (The Breitling is a lovely watch with strong sentimental value- I bought it with the little bit of money left over when my mum died. I don’t think that I could afford this watch now).

I started to look seriously at watches around the £400-700 price range. I guess what I was looking for was something simple but elegant perhaps with some historical association that I could wear day-to-day. I looked around in jewellers and at second hand places. Amongst others, I looked at a Bulova Lunar Pilot, an old Omega Seamaster 200 (pre-Bond). While nice they didn’t quite resonate for me and then I remembered CW, so started reading lots about them and was impressed by the CW ethos. I liked the fact that they were UK based but used Swiss movements in their watches. I especially liked their designs, which suited my requirements. I held off from buying as I was very nervous about buying quite an expensive watch that I had never ever tried on. On Thursday I took a gamble as there was a nearly-new P2725 on the website, which brought the overall cost down and also with a discount code I manage to grab a ‘free’ spare strap. Why did I choose this watch and not others? Well it was a really difficult choice as nearly pulled the trigger on new Morgan C3. I guess that I was taken by the simple design and links to the Hawker Hurricane (I used to build AirFix Hurricanes when I was little). I also have a thing about the craft of making automatic watches, I love the clock collection in the British museum. I like just looking at the watch- the second hand is mesmerizing, just a little tip of red to watch gracefully.

I ordered on Thursday and the watch arrived next day as promised on Friday. I was shocked at the size of the box. I didn’t really expect something quite so large- clearly, this was luxury packaging designed to be sent around the world safely. When eventually I got into the watch, read the manual and put it on my wrist, I was stunned- it was beast! It is a thick watch- thicker than anything that I have owned, and it might be a tight fit with certain close-fitting shirts. The watch face itself is also large, though not too large that it looks ungainly- I believe that the the simplicity of the design makes everything feel in proportion. The winder is oversized too but doesn’t dig in. I was quite enamoured by the two different luminous paint shades used- a neat touch and I hope that my picture captures an element of this. The Tiber leather strap is substantial and not like cheaper straps that fall apart after a few months of use- this one is thick and strong. I am not a terribly stylish person, but I note that the leather strap is very much in keeping with my Cheaney shoes, and my handmade English leather jeans belt.

So far the watch has been pretty accurate, despite being rated at +/- 20 seconds per day, I have only noted 5 seconds deviance over three days. This is pretty impressive for a non-COSC credited watch. My only comparison is with my Breitling which is chronometer-certified (which maybe only loses 5 Second per month), but that does cost 6 times the price.

It is probably easy to see that I am enjoying my C8 Flyer automatic P2725 very much. I like the style both front and back (with the deeply embeded wind tunnel design). It performs beautifully- and looks great. What would I change. As I have only owned it for a few days, I should reserve judgement on this for now. I am not really a collector of watches, so this is going to be a watch that I will wear every day.
Attachments
Watch 2.jpg
Watch1.jpg
Watch 3.jpg