C7 Rapide Automatic, Black + Red (WRC2)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

C7 Rapide Automatic, Black + Red (WRC2)

Post by 0uatiOW »

Recently I haven’t felt compelled to buy any of the current CW range, being drawn more to other brands. Until now that is. I’ve always quite liked the Motorsports range, in particular the C70s, and I was browsing the site one night and spotted the C7 Rapide, one of the few in the current line up without the word mark logo. I took a chance, reassured by the 60/60 guarantee, which is a real differentiator in this market. Kudos to CW.

I’ve had this watch for 4 days now, and here are my first impressions.

C7 Rapide Automatic, Black + Red on Piccari leather N07-42ADA1-S0KK0-PK
Bracelet 22-STL-04-SXS-MA

Diameter: 42mm
Height: 11.15mm
Weight: 70g
Calibre: Sellita SW200-1 (currently running +10 seconds per day)
WR: 10 ATM (100 metres)
Lug width: 22mm
Lug to lug: 48.2mm

Unboxing was a pleasant surprise. The presentation box with matt ebony finish, is decorated with the Mk 2 logo, lined with cream leather sporting a polished plaque “Chr. Ward”. While surprised to see this vintage box containing a watch model released in 2017, I wasn’t put off because it is nicer than the others I have.

Immediately I noticed how light the watch is. Constructed from 4 separate parts, it’s certainly not your ordinary case. The hollowed lugs butt up against the black aluminium centre band. At first I felt that the 70g weight was too light, as it rattled around on the provided leather strap, which, even with the short 48.2mm L2L, is too large for my 7 inch wrist. I bought the bracelet, which will add another 99g, and should anchor down nicely, but in the short term, I have fitted one of Erikasoriginals MN straps, which is just as effective. Snug and tight, the weight doesn’t feel too light any more, rather it feels like it isn’t there at all. It’s a pleasant sensation and surprising given the 42mm case size.

The dial suggests an essence of Chopard, which is no bad thing, with big, bold double-height numerals at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12, separated by half-batons on the odd hours, polished and applied like badges on a car, the difference being the generous infill with SuperLuminova SLN-T-C1.

The date / no date battle continues to rage ahead on watch blogs and fora, and for me, 6 o’clock is the best position to avoid upsetting the balance on the dial. However in this case, CW designers have performed a miracle. The white on black date wheel matches the sandblasted dial perfectly, nestling unobtrusively at 3, the position of the window leaving plenty of room for the polished index, which is identical in size and shape to its counterpart at 9. Placing the date window at my preferred 6 o’clock would have would have been totally wrong and would have interrupted the big number sequence.

The CW word mark has prompted heated debate on this forum, and the C7 Rapide is the only mainstream line in the current fleet without it. Instead, the classy & discrete twin flags logo is displayed at 12 o’clock, polished to match the other raised markings. In my view this is one of the most distinguishing features of this model, and places the C7 in pole position in the current CW line up.

Overall the dial design is nothing less than a work of art, perfectly balanced on the both axes. The only text is the single world “Automatic”, and the much revered “Swiss <space> Made” flanking the number 6. Despite the bold, oversized numerals, it manages to remain understated, in stark but surprising contrast to its noisy blue brother, which initially caught my eye before I eventually decided on the red & black combination. The styling and layout are so different to the other CW offerings that I can only conclude that there must have been a different design team behind it.

The black painted aluminium bezel is fixed and marked at 5 minute intervals, with red graduation to 10 minutes on the chapter ring, cleverly simulating a rev counter. This is a nice touch of detail, complementing the red central second hand. Muscular sword hands, polished with a central lume channel complete the look and are perfectly matched. It’s churlish to criticise the lack of lume on the second hand.

The Picarri leather strap is attractive and soft, but poorly finished. The black leather layer isn’t cut cleanly. However, as the standard CW straps are always too large for me, I bought the fitted steel bracelet, with CW’s amazing micro adjustment buckle, and all brushed, making it more forgiving to scratches than the PCLs of the Trident bracelet. I haven’t fitted the bracelet yet, but I have lined it up to to see what it looks like.

The unguarded crown is knurled & signed with the twin flags, reminding me a little of a Tudor BB. At 6mm, winding is smooth and easy, screwing in to deliver 10 ATM WR.

The caseback is impressively embossed with a large twin flags motif floating on a sea of little twin flags, encircled with the words “Christopher Ward Rapide”.

Although the C7 hasn’t attracted a lot of press attention nor forum comment compared to the Tridents, what I did find was often mixed, with the C7 being compared to cheap fashion brands, the motif-only branding revealing an identity crisis, and the plethora of options for dials, movements & straps suggesting a lack of direction. I couldn’t disagree more. Motorsports has for a long time been one of the 4 pillars of the CW product range, each of which are markedly different, and display their own personalities. The C7 is no exception, the engineering, the appearance and the design are all worthy of its Motorsports aspirations, and luckily unlike anything else in my collection.

The C7 Rapide Automatic is a welcome addition to my collection, my 4th CW.

My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: C7 Rapide Automatic, Black + Red (WRC2)

Post by Markornot »

Great review and pics!.I probably don’t need to tell you that I am a big fan of the C7’s as well...I think this is one of those watches that plays out much better in person than in photos. Speaking from a Yanks perspective...the interest in motorsports watches compared to the Tridents here, is akin to the interest in the US of F1 as opposed to soccer....not even close. I can’t see ever replacing my Rosso Corsa...It has become one of my favorites in my collection.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Thanks, I read your review too - really good pics. Good luck with the competition! I haven’t had this long, but so far I really like it. It’s a bold look (the Rosso is even more bold!). A few turned up in the Clearance Section today, so they can’t be selling well, which is why we don’t see a lot of postings. Underrated, I think, so hopefully our 2 reviews will help shift some more. We can ask for a commission!
Just call me Diderot
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

0uatiOW wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:22 am A few turned up in the Clearance Section today
Had I not just picked up a 1st gen C8 Regulator day before yesterday...I probably would have picked up your model during this clearance...four watches in one month would be a bit much..haha...and I was doing so well after my last rehab :lol:
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

I enjoyed reading your review. I have considered buying a C7 a couple of times but have always had something else come up that has taken my money. Maybe one day I will pick one up.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

It took me a good 30 minutes to remove 3 links and fit the bracelet but it was worth it.....

Just call me Diderot