C65 Trident GMT Review (WRC2)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: C65 Trident GMT Review (WRC2)

Post by Misterchrono »

This is a very good review ! And your pics are great too !
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Malcolm, what has your experience been so far with reading the GMT hand time? Many have complained about the size of the GMT hand, but I’m imagining that it’s prominent size combined with the color and a proper GMT bezel make it as easy to read the GMT time as it is the local time. Would you say this is true?

I have a Parnis GMT. And while it’s a nice looking watch, the GMT time just isn’t that easy to read at a glance with its small hand.

I’m anticipating that the GMT time on the C65 GMT is easy enough to read that when I get one (I’m choosing to be optimistic here!), it won’t be an issue at all to read if I set it to local time (since it’s the quick set hand) when I travel.
Drew
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 pm Malcolm, what has your experience been so far with reading the GMT hand time? Many have complained about the size of the GMT hand, but I’m imagining that it’s prominent size combined with the color and a proper GMT bezel make it as easy to read the GMT time as it is the local time. Would you say this is true?

I have a Parnis GMT. And while it’s a nice looking watch, the GMT time just isn’t that easy to read at a glance with its small hand.

I’m anticipating that the GMT time on the C65 GMT is easy enough to read that when I get one (I’m choosing to be optimistic here!), it won’t be an issue at all to read if I set it to local time (since it’s the quick set hand) when I travel.
Andrew, I have found the GMT time zone is quick and easy for me to read at a glance. IMHO the GMT hand is not too big, but just right. The size and orange color ensure you can see the second time zone with little effort. I have my home time set to the Pacific time zone and my GMT hand set to 8 hours ahead as I have family in England. I can quickly see it is 2:20 pm here and 10:20 pm in England. I think those that have said the GMT hand is too big are basing it on the high definition close-up photo's online which really emphasize the hand. If they saw it in the flesh I would guess many of them would change their opinion. It is a stunning looking watch.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks! You’ve confirmed what I had assumed. Yet another reason for me to get this watch.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Having handled the watch earlier this summer, I would agree with your assessment of the GMT hand. Thanks for the review, Malcolm, I enjoyed reading it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 am Having handled the watch earlier this summer, I would agree with your assessment of the GMT hand. Thanks for the review, Malcolm, I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks Steve. It has quickly become my favorite watch in my small collection.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

For anyone that is interested in seeing a video of the C65 Trident GMT, I have added a link at the end of the review to a short unboxing video I made when I received the watch.
Malcolm

kostasd87

Post by kostasd87 »

Hello Malcolm and congratulations for your thorough review. There's something missing though - - the usual CW logo rant.
Kidding aside, what's your impression on the logo? Was it a love from the first sight or did it grow on you?
I have long considered a CW and I finally booked a showroom visit on Tuesday. Was considering a C65 vintage but after your review I need to think again..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

kostasd87 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 pm Hello Malcolm and congratulations for your thorough review. There's something missing though - - the usual CW logo rant.
Kidding aside, what's your impression on the logo? Was it a love from the first sight or did it grow on you?
I have long considered a CW and I finally booked a showroom visit on Tuesday. Was considering a C65 vintage but after your review I need to think again..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Thanks Kostas. This is my third CW watch and I have never had a problem with the new logo. It has been my experience that in real life the logo is not very prominent while on the wrist, so the location doesn't bother me. When you see close-up pictures of the watch online they tend to emphasize the detail of the watch face, including the logo. The font is small and thin enough, however, in real life that the logo does not stand out. In addition, of all the CW watches I have owned the positioning of the logo on the C65 GMT appears the most balanced against all the other elements on the dial. I think it's a combination of the twin flags logo at 12, the date window at 3 and the orange GMT hand. They all work together to balance out the dial. I have a feeling that when you see it in the flesh at the showroom you will be very impressed.
Malcolm

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Thanks for the review and pictures of a very nice watch. I get the overall impression - reinforced by your comments - that while CW prices have been creeping up (in some part thanks to a weak £ of course) the quality and precision has been advancing at a greater rate so that the value for money proposition is better than ever. That is a trade off I can live with.

best

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
rolexafficionado

C65 Trident GMT

Post by rolexafficionado »

Just received this watch in the mail yesterday and must say my initial impressions are that this watch is great in a lot of respects.. had read a lot of reviews and watched videos before making the decision and I love that I finally ordered and bought this watch. In terms of finish, fit and quality it feels right up there with an Omega or Rolex (maybe ETA movement aside but maybe that's just my bias towards in-house movements versus a workhorse ETA)..

- Nice finish with hardly anything I can find that would disappoint.
- Nice matte finished dial that reduces reflections and makes you want to look at the dial.
- Don't really mind the logo at 9 although i did read a lot of reviews where people weren't that happy with the font and positioning compared to their older branding.
- Good weight and overall balance but could have been a little lighter. Maybe I am feeling the difference after having worn a SpeedMaster Moonwatch with a leather bracelet for the last month now.
- I wish it had a screw down crown. Maybe that would have made me feel the watch was safer in water..probably just in my head.:)
- Really comfortable bracelet and neat extendible clasp design without adding any bulk like on some of the Omega extendible clasps. Still feels solid.

So what would I change if I were to be picky.

- I think CW should play around with a wider bezel to give the hour markings more presence and visibility obviously making the dial slight smaller which would make it more balanced.
- Would love to see thicker lugs with a 20mm lug to lug distance instead of 22mm. I think thicker lugs would give the watch a more vintage look and balance in comparison to the case size. Thicker lugs would also look good with a leather or nato strap.

Overall, still warming well to this watch..

CW service has been excellent to say the least. I bought this watch before their Black Friday sale and although I only received it yesterday, I asked them about the 15% discount and they happily obliged.

I had asked them to size the watch to my wrist size before delivery and they did but they got it wrong and sized it for a 5 inch wrist instead of 6.4 inches that I had requested. I had to get it resized by a watchmaker and when i mentioned it to them they happily agreed to refund me the charges I incurred for resizing. Who does that really.

I also purchased their 38mm vintage Trident but didn't warm to it all probably due to the smaller size and in line with their returns policy they even refunded the return mailing charges. So all in all a great experience dealing with CW and their lovely courteous staff..
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Firstly, welcome to the forum!
rolexafficionado wrote:So what would I change if I were to be picky.

- I think CW should play around with a wider bezel to give the hour markings more presence and visibility obviously making the dial slight smaller which would make it more balanced.
- Would love to see thicker lugs with a 20mm lug to lug distance instead of 22mm. I think thicker lugs would give the watch a more vintage look and balance in comparison to the case size. Thicker lugs would also look good with a leather or nato strap.
While I agree with the rest of your post, I personally think that the narrower bezel and lugs really hit the mark nicely. If you look back to the sixties, the narrow bezel and lugs are what you’d typically see. It’s the seventies where things started to get a bit chunkier. I also quite like the 22mm strap on the 41mm case, but 20 or 22 would both fine with that case size. At least they didn’t go with a 21mm lug size... :)

Besides, i feel that if you were to make the bezel wider and the lugs chunkier, it’d be impinging on the C60’s territory just a bit too much. I like that the two dive models have a very different aesthetic...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier