C5 malvern mk III : A year on the wrist. (WRC2)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

C5 malvern mk III : A year on the wrist. (WRC2)

Post by Misterchrono »

My fellow CW enthusiasts,

I'm not the kind of guy who usually go into contest but this time I really wanted to express my appreciation of the Christopher Ward brand. On top of that, obviously, the opportunity to win a wonderful CW watch is something that's not completely out of my mind.

I've been registered with the forum for a long time but I'm not a heavy poster and some of you may notice that my profile says I'm located in France so be kind with my English ;)

The point is Christopher Ward watches are on my wishlist for a long time but as time passes by, the price increases steadily and therefore my CW's first watch was this C5 Malvern I purchased a year ago, hence the title of my review.

After a year on the wrist I can say I've never been disappointed with it. It's a dressy watch and a casual watch as well, that I wear happily day after day.

Details are very important and I guess for all CW enthusiasts it's something known as the DNA of the brand. Although, being regularly amazed by the craftmanship of that watch says a lot about the quality and requirements of CWL.

Let's begin with the dial. It is a 39mm case but the lack of inner bezel, the curved and thin outer bezel make that dial pop out.

The texture of the dial is surprising. It is no matte nor varnished but something like a grain

The Dial shines on bright light and subtle details appears : a thin inner circle mimics the railway of the hour hand.

And there is this nice date window : precisely carved in the dial creating a beveled edge making it highly legible.

The blue hands are really nice and in high contrast with the white dial.

Of course it's an automatic watch, and the smooth seconds hand is really nice. It's powered by a sellita sw200 which we can appreciated through a display case back.

Another point is the caseback itself. It is globally screwed in the case and so there is no apparent screw, no holes and no crenellated margin: it's all about circles.

The crown holds the two flags logo and the lugs are finely diving towards the leather strap.

The major upgrade I would suggest is the design of the indexes. Half the indexes are thick and applied. But those at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 are very thin. It does reflect the light sparkingly but I think the balance is not good. I mean this uneven height is the only drawback of this model.

The bottom line of this review is the C5 malvern is really refined and worth every penny ! I love it.

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: C5 malvern mk III : A year on the wrist.

Post by Thegreyman »

That was an excellent review and considering it is not in your native language, then very impressive :clap:

The C5 is a lovely dress watch and your review and some superb close up photos really highlighted a lot of the great features. I too love the dial which is detailed yet clean at the same time, your point about the indices I also agree.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: C5 malvern mk III : A year on the wrist.

Post by Markornot »

Great review....awesome pics!
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior

Re: C5 malvern mk III : A year on the wrist. (WRC2)

Post by Misterchrono »

Thank you guys.

I love this watch.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Totally agree with Patrick here.

A very nice watch excellently described.

Class suit to boot.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I enjoyed this description and review, and it is very clear that you have grown to love this watch. Thanks for making this contribution.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

A good review with some superb pictures .
Bernie
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior

Post by Misterchrono »

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.
:clap:
Underhilldc

Post by Underhilldc »

Great review thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk