C7 Rapide Rosso Corsa COSC LE Review (WRC2)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

C7 Rapide Rosso Corsa COSC LE Review (WRC2)

Post by Markornot »

THE BOX

Let’s start with the presentation box. It is always exciting when your newly ordered watch arrives...the anticipation builds as one carefully peals back the layers to reveal the latest acquisition. Some do it better than others but Christopher Ward has always provided a reveal that was better than most. For this watch however, it is over the top! I have never owned a top tier watch but I can’t imagine that CW could be outdone. From the dedicated shipping box to the ribbon handled double outer box...to the well crafted wood presentation box itself...it is all so very well done.

Although I am not sure if this was by design, there are top and bottom square caps that appear to be there to protect the inner box during shipping but I found they may have a more purposeful mission. Because the caps are covered in a quality fabric type material, they can be turned over and used as protective tray to park a watch in a pinch... much like a jewelers pad.

To finish the reveal, entry to the presentation box provides an unexpected surprise. The inner box has a fold over lid that is clasped with a fairly strong internal magnet about mid-way down the front side of the box. When a little ribbon tab is firmly pulled, the lid releases and what happens next is special. As that clasp is released the front side of the box drops under its own weight, much like a draw bridge to an English castle, to expose the final presentation box. All very clever really...but enough about the box!
C7D0D76F-7199-4012-8175-2E4BB2363B56.jpeg
THE WATCH

- C07-42ADD1-SDRR0-LK
- 42mm width
- 22mm lugs
- 11mm case height
- ETA 2836 COSC Movement
- Screw down crown
- Black DLC Stainless Steel and Red Aluminum 4 piece case

From its release in 2017, I was drawn to the new C7 Rapide line and particularly the Automatics. The motorsports themed watches suited my lifestyle and the new case design was intriguing. The then newly released twin flags logo also appealed to me as I had unknowingly been in a sort of silent protest against the 9 o’clock logo as it always seemed to be a sticking point for me when considering a purchase. I was initially drawn to the the black version and even more so to the 2017 COSC LE version. But as often happens, my procrastination ruled the days and soon the 2017 LE was no more. In late August 2018, the opportunity presented itself to consider another watch and the 2018 LE was available for preorder. My initial thought at first look was “that’s a lot of red!” but I dig things Italian and it was different enough to really stand out in my collection.

Upon receipt, I had some mixed feelings about the watch but after taking it for a “test drive” for a few days, I have found myself enamored with the design, wearability, and yes, even the color.

For the technical minded, the specs are out there and I will offer only my impressions of the LE after several days of wear. Much has been discussed about the sandwich design of the C7 Rapide case and it is truly executed to a high standard. The watch wears flat upon the wrist and is notibly lighter than any watch I own of similiar dimensions. One might think this would translate into perhaps a case that is less substantial than one of more traditional construction. However, I found that the construction and the tactile feel and look of the case actually demonstrates a case as robust as any carved out by more conventional means. It came to mind an automotive comparison of say the refined precision of an Acura NSX to the brute strength and presence of a Mercedes AMG GT/R.

Then there are the “lugs”. That word can not adequately describe this revolutionary take on attaching a strap to a timepiece. The lugs might be better described as architectural flying buttresses. They are not structural to the main case itself and seem to almost float from the side of aluminum center section. Additionally, when the watch is viewed from above, they seem to visually disappear as the strap reaches for support rather than the lugs reaching for the strap.

Like any CW watch I own or have seen, the overall construction is impeccable with the dial markers and indexes perfectly placed. When I first set eyes on the watch in the catalogue, I thought it an interesting choice that the double height numberals were framed in highly polished chrome. The entirety of the hour, minute and second hands are set in chrome as well. It seemed to me that the appliqués and hands would be more suited to a contrasting black color but what I have learned while wearing the watch is that you get the best of both worlds in that the highly poilished surfaces reflect its opposing light or lack there of. This creates a multitude of effects on the watch face which in a moment can seem almost jeweled (and perhaps a bit feminine) to a bold, dark and decidedly masculine look if the face is in the shadows. This effect extends to the hands as well and especially the second hand which can occasionally appear to be black. I have caught myself several times, glancing at the watch face to observe this effect. CW made a superb design decision to utilize the white super luminova which fills the numberals/markers and really makes them pop in the daylight. The lume itself is not particularly bright but it is a very pleasant soft blue which is legible enough in dark conditions and is unique to anything else in my collection.

Red is a difficult color in that light can vary its hues. It was true for a Guards Red Porsche that I once owned years ago and this “Rosso” watch is no exception. The textured face seems less susceptible to this effect but the center case section and fixed bezel are both made of aluminum and I believe are anodized or some similar process to produce the red color which seems to amplify this hue changing effect. Depending on the lighting conditions the hues can range from deep red to shades of orange and pink. I think perhaps using a different bezel material or the way the color is applied might lessen the effect.

This is a minor complaint that is due more to physics than design and depending upon the individual may actually only serve to add to the uniqueness of the watch.
4B9BEEBF-417B-4839-B804-2232B337F75E.jpeg
THE STRAP

When seeing the watch for the first time, I was disappointed to see that the 2018 LE had been assigned a different strap from the 2017 LE model. I thought the perforations of the 2017 strap lended to the motorsports theme and the bold red beading along the side of the pervious strap would really tie the Rosso theme together. After spending time with the watch, I discovered that the selection of the matte finsh soft touch Italian leather strap was a brilliant choice in that the strap perfectly matches the black DLC finish on the lugs and really creates a seamless effect in tying the watch to the strap. At a casual observation, the color and flat finish of strap could be mistaken for rubber, evoking almost the look of a racing slick. Although probably not intentional, I quite like the effect. Additionally, the strap is all day comfortable which compliments a watch that already sits very well on the wrist.
47D89C29-9679-421D-8432-9E73A9C467B6.jpeg
FINAL THOUGHTS

If I had input into the next Rosso Corsa design, I would probably look to a different material for the bezel that would be more durable and less impacted by the color hue effect. I would also take a cue from the designers of the CW Pilot watches who have found inspiration from historic aircraft to develop the shape and style of many of those watch hands in the more recent model line. A watch that harkens to the Italian racing red pedigree of sports cars past and present could easily justify the same sort of inspiration from the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Alfa Romeo and would really pull the motorsports theme together. Watch hands derived from the style and shape of the black, white and red tach hand from the Ferrari F12 might just do the trick!

For a watch that had produced mixed feelings at first, I later found instead it just produced MORE feelings...perhaps more than any other watch has during my collecting obsession. The fact that this watch inspired me to write my first review may say more about the watch than the review itself.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C7 Rapide Rosso Corsa COCS LE Review

Post by Kip »

An excellent review. Well done for being the first one to enter the Christopher Ward Watch Review Contest #2.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

An extremely readable review which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I like the way it has been themed with your motorbike and brings out the sportiness of the watch.

Your photographs of the cleanness of the dial both delight and sadden me for reasons that I will not discuss here.

Thank you for the time that you have taken, it was well worth the effort.

Good luck in the contest.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

scooter wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 am

Your photographs of the cleanness of the dial both delight and sadden me for reasons that I will not discuss here.

Thanks for your reply, Scooter...I am curious about your thoughts on the dial...although it seems maybe a little plain in photos, there is a lot more going on there than meets the eye. In the week or so I have owned it, I have learned what happens when your wear a red dial watch...people notice! I have received more comments on this watch than any I have owned prior. Maybe it’s the circles I run in but I usually have a bit of a let down period after acquiring my latest mechanical work of art and no one seems to notice...no matter how high I hike up my sleeve or conspicuously check the time of day. :D
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: C7 Rapide Rosso Corsa COCS LE Review (WRC2)

Post by scooter »

Private message sent Mark.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks for posting this, Mark – I enjoyed reading it. I particularly liked your analogy of the lugs as flying buttresses!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 am Thanks for posting this, Mark – I enjoyed reading it. I particularly liked your analogy of the lugs as flying buttresses!
Thank-you, Amor...I’m really enjoying being part of this community...
Mark
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

AVO...you’re only allowed to call me Amor if you are female and Hispanic. :lol: :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am AVO...you’re only allowed to call me Amor if you are female and Hispanic. :lol: :wink:
Haha...AVO...it is!!..I fretted about that a bit...my wife actually has a cousin named Amor on a distant side of her family... :oops:
Mark