A Bronze C60 Trident in review.

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

A Bronze C60 Trident in review.

Post by copemanphoto »

Model # C60-43ADA2-B00B0-VT. C60 Trident Pro 600 Bronze
Ordered/Purchased: 31-October-17

A Bronze C60 Trident !

I have always loved the warm rich look of bronze dive watches, the fact I had a brass dive watch didn’t scratch the itch, couldn’t scratch it even as nice as my brass watch was. So I remember when the rumours started circulating last September of a possible new and exciting addition to the Trident line up. The speculation whetted our collective appetites, teasing us with various designs and bezel treatments on a new Bronze C60.

Now a bit of a back story, I had my heart set on a Tudor BB Bronze for quite awhile when the Bronze Trident buzz started and of course this really got my attention.

I knew what to expect from Christopher Ward quality as I already owned a C60 Trident White/Black so I just knew adding this Bronze to their line up would be a sure winner and definitely worth a closer look.

Well the final production photos cemented it for me. There was no hesitation on my part when it came to ordering it on it’s first day of release October 31, 2017. As a matter of fact I darn near fell over when I saw the price in CDN dollars and I got to use a discount code as well. What a great deal!

Since product flies off the shelves at CW during sales and the uncertainty of the website crashing before my order was placed did cause me some concern. I had a big sigh of relief once my order was accepted and confirmed.

I ordered it with the leather strap, a combo I liked so much I ordered a spare leather strap as well. If I could do it over though I would have ordered the blue canvas strap as a spare and then I could change the look from time to time. Both straps are great looking.

I could hardly wait for the watch to be delivered and to see it in the flesh but that pleasure was going to have to wait as I was on vacation until mid December, I had it shipped to my daughter’s home and she got to unbox it, snapped some photos and sent them to me so I would have something to look at until I got home.

Now you are probably wondering how I went from a Tudor BB Bronze grail to grabbing a CW C60 Trident Bronze in such short order and the answer is ticks. Not the kind you might hear from the movement. No, the ticks I am referring to are the ticks in all the boxes when I consider a new watch.

The Trident ticked them all and then some.

The look of the C60 Bronze, the quality of construction, the nicely signed crown, the trident seconds hand, the raise arabic numerals on the matching bronze bezel, the Old Radium SuperLuminova on the hands and indices set against the marine blue dial added up to a beautiful watch with an old nautical heritage.

Watches have an emotional appeal to me as it does for all passionate watch guys and gals.

First thing, the watch has to be attractive, eye catching, a thing of beauty. Then comes the research, checking out all the reviews and of course visualizing ultimate ownership, how it will look on my wrist and how wearing the new time piece will change my life, or at the very least how I will use it in various settings and places.

While this Trident is perfectly at home worn with a jacket and tie or a suit at the office, it is when it sneaks a peak out of the cuff that I am reminded where it really belongs, in the company of worn jeans, casual shirt or short sleeves, at the seashore or kicking back on vacation.

The perfect vacation for me is in the Caribbean or at least the northern tip of the Caribbean in Key West, a place I have been lucky enough to visit and hang out in, a number of times.

I can hardly wait to go back there and visit the Chart Room, Captain Tony’s Saloon or Mallory Square to watch the Buskers and see another green flash sunset with the C60 Bronze Trident gracing my left wrist. What a great way to spend the winter and a perfect watch to share it with.

This is a really cool travel watch with a nautical heritage and it fits in perfectly in any seaside town, like Bar Harbour, Cedar Key or any place in between.

The C60 Bronze is rugged and certainly looks it with a nice patina and the strap taking on it’s own vintage look.

Inside the bronze case beats the reliable and accurate SW200 Swiss movement, which has seen service in other Christopher Ward watches. This is a proven work horse which is backed up by the legendary Christopher Ward 5 year warranty.

With a diameter of 43mm, a lug to lug of 51.5mm and a height of 13.3mm, this watch sits comfortably on my 7.25 inch wrist, feeling substantial and well balanced, but not too heavy.

When I read the lug to lug of 51.5mm, I was surprised, as this doesn’t feel like an overly large watch. If any thing it wears smaller than you would think. I believe this is a result of the down turned lugs which cutback towards the case, matching perfectly to the strap which appears to be an extension of the lugs when on the wrist.

The crown winds in effortlessly and smoothly, never feeling rough as it matches the threads of the crown tube with precision. The padded leather lined strap comes with quick release spring bars making strap changes very straightforward and the strap is extremely comfortable measuring 22mm at the lugs tapering to 20mm at the matching signed bronze buckle.

The bezel is unidirectional with a smooth action and a definite snug click on each detent, confidently securing the bezel where ever I set it.

Real world accuracy is around -5SPD on the watch I purchased, well within CW specs. The advertised 38 hour power reserve was easily surpassed with 41.5 hours reserve time when fully wound.

In the 8 months I have owned it the patina is setting in nicely and taking on a beautiful aged bronze hue that reminds me of old ship fittings, mahogany and teak. I like natural patination and over time I see subtle changes in the colour of the case and bezel. I can’t help but notice how the hands and indices compliment the mature bronze tint. I am sure it will change, darken over time and I am excited to see how it will evolve. This is a time piece with a warm personality and character, constantly changing.

Are there things I would like to see changed, certainly. As a lume aficionado I would love to see more SuperLuminova applied to the hands and indices. I love “ flashlight or torch “ lume on my watches and even though the Trident falls somewhat short in this area, the lume is adequate and the dial is mostly legible throughout the night.

Choosing the C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600 over the BB Bronze was an easy decision. The quality is there and in my opinion the finish is on par. The details, especially the bezel with the raised arabic numerals, the signed crown, the trident seconds hand as well as the detailed stainless caseback made this one clearly the best choice.

I should also mention value as well. Where can you get this much watch for more than 3.5 times less than the Tudor?

The Trident with a WR of 600m also bests the Tudor’s 200m!

This a definitely a first class watch, with a different, warmer look than stainless steel, and would be a great addition to anyone’s collection, especially anyone looking to add some sporty nautical flair to their lifestyle.

Thank you for this opportunity to share my thoughts and photos.
Cheers, Mike.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: A Bronze C60 Trident in review.

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Great review and wonderful photos.
There's always time for one more.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Fabulous. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Wonderful pictures in a setting that matches the watch’s character perfectly. The quality of members’ reviews has been consistently very high and yours is no exception.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your kind words.
Sorry for being somewhat tardy in replying.
Cheers, Mike.