Review of C65 Trident

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Review of C65 Trident

Post by sinner777 »

... Or a bit of long and not usual experience with it.

Well.. The story in the nutshell.

I bought this (exactly this) watch 2 years ago, did a review at local forum and sold it afterwards. Something else was "more important" as always..

I was impressed by the whole idea of "diver without bezel" in the first place since I first saw the announcement in the Chr. Ward magazine.

I mean.. Cmoon.. It is all round watch. You can wear it in the office and then dive with it.

Best of both worlds.

Got it.

Wore it.

Sold it.

Yesterday (!?) a friend called me, "I have a great watch, do you want it" and sent me pictures of my watch. I did not sell it to him and in original sale it went with leather strap. Along the way bracelet showed up.

I went after work and bought it at 11:00 PM.

After 2 years it is back... And TBH I have no idea what was I thinking about when I sold it.

So here it is... C65 on new generation bracelet. The best of 2 generations.

Some boring Specs are.. 43 mm case, 22 mm lugs, SW200 movement, sapphire.

Some not so boring specs : wave dial, characteristic hands, London logo and overall impressive appearance.

Case is massive. Do not think this is shy or discreet watch. It is C60 diver with bezel off and slightly larger dial. Wide lugs, muscular case and yet curves make it elegant in strange way. Like sports car in silver, it can be posh and aggressive in the same moment. Also it is farely slim. Unlike overgrown modern divers this kept its relative slim profile.

Strangely, it is full brushed. Almost matte finish tones down large case a bit. Actually works for me, polished cases are a no go for me. I wear my watches, they get hit. Polished case shows every nudge.

As it comes to wear and tear, this baby was away for two years. And it shows. There are bumps on the edges of lugs, some scratches on the bezel. It has been worn. But overall quality of the case is great. I have seen higher class watches worn in office that look like they have been on battlefield.

Bracelet is also great. Massive, with brilliant ratcheting clasp (it came a bit of surprise... Great solution. Low tech, no glide blah blah, no spring load yada yada...) and polished central links that ad a bit of glamour to the whole package. And PITA to polish and clean. Also the clasp is long. Someone with smaller wrist might have problem.

Also a strange detail. Although watch has a decent lume, there are Green dots on the edge of dial. Why? TBH i have no idea. They also glow but are redundant.

Watch wears big. Do not be fooled by the size. SKX 007 is 2 mm smaller on paper but due to longer lugs, lack of bezel and overall different approach it wears large. .

I have large wrist (do not be fooled by vintage watches... I have a lumberjack hands and wrist.) and it fits perfectly. Some watches just dont have the balance or keep flippin over the wrist. C65 just sits. Perfecty balanced. Puuuurfect.

Conclusion?

As I tend to smaller watch collection as I grow older this is probably the closest thing to all round watch or one that I can wear all the time..

It has it all : the ideal size (for me atleast) the blend of dress (kind of...) and tool, it has great dial, reliable movement. In a strange way it is modern everyday watch.

I often meet people that wear the same watch for decades,this would be a great watch for the "one watch" purpose.

If Bond did not become brand ambassador he would probably wear this. There.. I said it. It would be a great watch for her majesties favourite double-o.

Untill then.. I can always order "shaken... Not stirred" and get a strange look at local pub.
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: Review of C65 Trident

Post by borderman »

Glad to see you reunited with the C65 and very good story and review well done :clap:

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

I have done it via mobile, so it has few mistakes. But overall.. You get the idea. Now off to work in the rain and with masculine umbrella

sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

oh some of stuff I would change.

lug holes are very near the case. it makes squezzing the leather other than one with fitted ends from CW or using curved bars almost imposible. add fat springbars and eventually perlon would get through.

also I would like drilled lugs. I am strap maniac, often change the whole setup and drilled lugs are great solution.

other than that I have nothing on C65.

in fact, I am very please to have it back. I always kicked myself "why did I sell it" - now it is back where it should be. :D
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

So...

Strangest thing happened.

I have worn C65 for.. I think 2 weeks. I have taken it off when I was on seaside on sunday just because I cant swim with something heavy on wrist. And today to try Oris that just arrived. And I have put the C65 back.

So.. This could easily be the everyday watch for me...

I tried to find that kind of watch numerous times. Closest was SARB035 but TBH It looked too bland for me.

I have serious problem with wearing same watch for a whole day, unlike for 10+ days,so this is strange. I used to change 2 or 3 watches per day for a while.

I have also entered a "wear one watch for a month" challenge with few friends on other watch forum and... C65 just sits on wrist. No intention to go back to box.

Glad I have it back. And cudos for this strange concept from CW.

Here it is.. Todays pic.

tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Happy to see the return of your C65 Trident . I also like your review , a very enjoyable read . You have caught the dial nicely in your picture above , very nice .
Bernie
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

It is the detail that raises the whole watch. It actually has purpose. It reduces glare.

sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

Third week on wrist.

Accuracy of Selita is 10 s fast per day.

Some truly great reviews over here. Good luck to all!

politel
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by politel »

Nice Watch :thumbup:
Rainer

wanted:
C9 Me109 Single Pusher Chronograph
C8 Flyer Mk II DLC
C8 Power Reserve Chronometer DLC