Mr. Blue Ltd. (review of C60 Trident 316L LE Blue)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Palisander
Junior
Junior

Mr. Blue Ltd. (review of C60 Trident 316L LE Blue)

Post by Palisander »

I could never understand watch collectors. I mean, 100k for something so small and kind of useless in this day and age? Most of my life I’ve never had a watch, not needed one. And the birth of mobile phones had solved the problem of asking people on the street for the time. Yet, some years ago, for no obvious reasons, I was gradually drawn into the world of watches. To me, watchmakers, those Don Quixotes of La Horologia, are the last men standing between our past and our inevitable future. There is something both romantic and noble in high-end watchmaking, including the obviously ridiculous price tags. Nonetheless, as time passed, my knowledge of brands and technology became strong enough to give me the urge to finally purchase my first proper, quality watch. It was a used ’96 Eberhard Traversetolo. A sort of diesel for one's hand, if you will. And for a moment (well, a couple of years, as it were), I did indeed have peace of mind.

Now following the watch industry sets your browser cache towards obvious topics and offers. This is how I learned about Christopher Ward – just another post on a popular watch blog. It set a chain of events (lasting less than 2 months) which led to the purchase of my first CW watch: C60 Trident 316L Limited Edition Blue. And I was never even into divers! But the more I read and watched, the more I was hooked. Here I must send kudos to the members of the CW community – they were one of the main reasons I decided to buy a watch online. Not an easy decision, especially when you’re doing it for the first time. Of course, the price was another factor – I strongly believe that it’s pointless to own a watch that costs more than your monthly salary. And this Trident seemed really good value for money. Besides, my 40th birthday was just around the corner. You get the picture.

The watch itself is perfect when it comes to binge-watching. You know, those endless hours when you scroll watch portals and flip magazines enjoying great close-ups of luxury pieces, reading stories and news, regretting you didn’t hit that jackpot. Yet, those amazing pictures can be misleading. “Wha-at? Is that it?” – a common reaction when I have the chance to see a grail watch in person. You can either hardly see the details and craftsmanship with the naked eye or you feel that the pictures you saw were tuned. On the contrary, the Trident delivers 100%. Christopher Ward does a great job with the website, but that’s just the beginning. I remember when I opened the box (A+ for the packaging) - my first, smiling impression was: “Oh yes, that’s exactly it”. And the moment you take the watch, put it on, look closely - the second wave of appreciation unfolds. You just know it has to be a keeper.

During my “oh my, which one should I buy” phase I was considering some other CW models, including the motorsport line, bronze, titanium and GMT Tridents (no other brands though, didn’t find anything quite as appealing to me). There was just something so unique in the blue shade dial I simply couldn’t resist (not to mention the feeling alone of owning a limited-edition watch). Depending on the light, the watch can change its appearance completely. From almost black in full sunlight to a cool marine type of blue in the artificial light. With a steel case and bezel, this makes a perfect combo. As much as I admire orange and yellow Tridents I think that this color (along with the white and black dials) is the most universal. I don’t like wearing a watch that screams on your hand when you enter the room. Yet, this Trident Pro 600 surely can grab a stranger's attention ("Hey, nice Omega!" - true story).

I wear watches on my right hand. I’m not a leftie but somehow it seems more natural to me. Of course, this does require taking a watch off during longer working hours, when using the mouse, etc. I don’t really mind that. I just put it on the table next to my mobile to have something to make eyes at every now and then. But there is another reason I take off my watch besides to flirt with it. I tend to wear more loose bracelets/straps to ventilate my wrist when it becomes sweaty. And having a watch on the left side makes the crown feel uncomfortable when you bend your hand. But I guess this could go with any other watch with me. So, problem solved.

With the steel bracelet, the Trident wears heavy. Which I also like – you just know you have it on, kind of a security feature against Derren Brown. The quality of the glossy and brushed steel and the clasp with CW branding complete the picture. When necessary, I can use the micro adjustment feature to make sure it fits perfectly. Its 13.3 mm thickness might not suit slim suit lovers, but I think it can make a nice statement for some serious business talks. Besides, I also bought blue webbing and brown leather straps which can change the watch appearance dramatically. I have prepared some pictures (thanks Love, that was so much fun!) to show you what I mean. As you probably will notice different straps make this watch fit any attire. Not to speak that they also decrease the overall weight.

I’m not a freak when it comes to accuracy. We are surrounded by devices telling us the time and it’s never about seconds these days. So far, I haven’t noticed if the watch runs fast or slow. But if that becomes a noticeable problem I can always use 60/60 (again, another +1 point) or just have a nice excuse to take the watch off my wrist, unscrew the crown, set it properly and admire the design and craftsmanship. I also really like the hands - there is something almost cartoonish in them, like a wink from the designer. The orange second-hand makes the watch unique in its own way. Yes, the luminova could last a bit longer but then, I don’t live in the woods. The Trident brand engravings on back of the watch leave you with the impression that you're the holder of a serious time machine.

Much has been said about CW customer support quality. I had a fair share of that as well. Right after I bought the watch (apparently one of the last ones, as it was discontinued almost immediately after), the annual sale was announced. Bummer, huh? After a short discussion on Facebook with the support (with me sending “I-hate-you-will-never-buy-you-where-is-my-mommy” kind of stuff) they proposed to just charge my CC with the same discount, how about that? I mean, the coupon would be more than fine. All of that makes Christopher Ward a proper experience brand. Pro-tip CW! Please let someone with nice handwriting fill the owner's handbook. It’s a detail, but those aficionados collecting all those boxes and papers will appreciate that for sure.

Now, the elephant in the room. I was introduced to the brand with the new logo already in store. As this Trident is my daily timepiece, I'm exposed to its details all the time. And I like it. I really like it. From a distance, the logo aligns nicely with the rest of the face elements and up close the font remains clear and simple. But it stands out when it comes to other brands as it's quite unusual to have a logo on the left side. Also, I'm not a big fan of the previous versions. Being often surprised by the old CW portfolio, I have this constant feeling that if it wasn't for that change I might not have purchased this watch at all. Kind of academic thinking but resonates in me quite strongly.

I find it quite silly watching all those shots of Tridents and other watches next to food and other stuff constantly posted by community members. But for sure you can feel the love and admiration for the brand. And this is something no money can buy – you just have to earn it with hard work and quality. So far - CW does it. You should also see the madness during the annual sales. Which of course brings up the question regarding brand value in the long run. Yes, Steinhart seems to have a similar level of engagement, but British-Swiss misalliance is more appealing to me. Besides, Christopher Ward is defiantly less of an homage company.

Taking into account all that I have written above, it seems I've started to “get” watch collectors. I mean, it’s hard yet to tell how Christopher Ward brand will perform in the years to come. Will it ever be a good financial investment? The competition in this price segment is fierce, many Kickstarter brands have surfaced recently, some very interesting. Also, the premium brands are reshaping their marketing strategies, moving online, offering more affordable models. Not to speak about the rising popularity of smartwatches. With so many choices one can easily start its own collection and not to ruin its budget.

But for me, buying C60 Trident 316L Limited Edition in Blue, was the best thing I could do for my own satisfaction and happiness. It likely won’t be my last Christopher Ward watch either. Surely “it’s certainly not an ordinary brand”.

Model No: C6043ADA2-127/316
Date of transaction: 22.03.2018

DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Mr. Blue Ltd.

Post by DISJT »

What a great, well written review, with some fantastic pictures to boot.

This is particularly good...
Palisander wrote: Image
Thanks for sharing
CHRIS
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As Chris says, a very enjoyable read and excellent photos. Thank you very much for your entry.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

That's magazine quality review and photos. The watch looks really stylish on the bracelet and also on the tan leather, although I've never liked the look of the webbing strap.

Nice suit and tweed jacket by the way - very stylish.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

:clap: :clap: Quality review!
There's always time for one more.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Professional and highly enjoyable read.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Great review. Your images really help to tell the story. I own two CW watches and this would have been my third CW purchase had I been in a financial situation to purchase it before it sold out. This and the Trident C60 vintage (which I own) are my two favorite Tridents to date.

On a side note, I almost didn't read the review because of the title. I usually scroll through new posts quickly to see if any seem of interest and did not realize by the title this was a review. I was pleasantly surprised and glad I clicked on the link.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A brilliant review, very much enjoyed.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

A cracking read. :thumbup:
Steve.
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

What a first class review :clap:
Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

That’s quite an entrance. Welcome to the forum. You have yourself a fine watch, and you can certainly write and take pictures as well as anyone (nice contrasting cuff buttons). Really good job. You have to submit this to the Review competition.

As I read it, more than once I thought “yep, I agree”. The accuracy (is a few seconds a day really that big a deal?), the handwriting on the warranty cards, the special call out to the bracelet micro adjustment....

You question how the brand will fare longer term. Well, this forum has a line up of owners of multiple CWs, me included (3 Tridents) who will attest to the brand’s ability to retain our interest over time. “Not an ordinary brand” is another chance for me to say “yep, I agree”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Mr. Blue Ltd. (review of C60 Trident 316L LE Blue)

Post by Thegreyman »

Wow, great review and photos. That will be hard to beat if this is entered for the review competition.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An excellent review. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Brilliant post. your pictures make me want that watch.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

As others have said, a magazine quality review for sure, Well done :clap: