Review CW C60 43 Bronze (C6043AB)

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Review CW C60 43 Bronze (C6043AB)

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Review of CW C60 43 Bronze (C6043AB)

I have a few CW watches which I used to wear in a sort of random rotation (I'd wear a watch for a couple of days, then choose another). However that has all changed. I liked the look of the C60 in bronze, but couldn't really justify another watch as I have been trying to reduce the number of watches in the collection; because some of them just weren't getting chosen in the random rotation mentioned above.

When, last December, I saw one offered asking for a trade for a chronograph, I quickly offered up my C9 silver chrono as that one just never got picked to wear. A swap was arranged and in a couple of days I received my bronze Trident. For the last seven months, I reckon there has only been a couple of days when it hasn't been on my wrist.

One of the important aspects of the bronze watch is the fact that it will in a reasonably short time, lose its 'new' look, and aquire the well known bronze patina of use. Now it isn't that I want a green watch, or something particularly scruffy on my wrist. My thinking was that being bronze which is softer than stainless, and understanding that it was going to change its appearance in a non-uniform way; then it would make an ideal everyday watch. If it gets the odd ding, scratch or splash, then it wont actually 'deface' it as no one will expect it to look pristine anyway. So it is my daily, my beater, then one I wear all the time.

I am very happy to wear this every day. The colour change now is quite gradual, and it is interesting that the bits of the watch that get touched have stayed almost the original bright finish. Whereas, the parts not touched have gone quite dark. The top of the bezel which apart from the numbers is a matt finish has gone darkest, and the polished case has less change, but the colour is non-uniform according to what it comes into contact with. I expect that now I'm in short sleeves every day, there will be more change than through the winter months when the watch was mostly under my sleeve.
It does not make my wrist go green! CW have put a large stainless backplate on, this means that I do not have the bronze case resting directly on my skin. Bronze will be cleaned bright by acids, such as fruit juice, vinegar etc, but will oxidise (rust) in contact with bleach, washing powder, soda etc. Looking at this picture, I must have splashed it with something as the green verdigris was growing nicely. At this point, I thought that I did not really want green growth on the watch, so I have removed it with a quick scrub with a nail brush.
Those familiar with the Trident will know that it is a very solid dependable performer, the reduced, downward shaped lugs ensure a comfortable fit. The engine is the dependable Sellita SW-200, so the watch just runs fine. A niggle is that this one is about 5 seconds a day out, and it is slow! That's a bit of a bind,as even though I'm not a time prisoner, when I do reset the watch, I have to reset the time forward. One of the simple things about a hacking seconds movement is that providing the watch gains time, one just has to stop it on the minute occaisionaly and wait for the real time to catch up. In practice, I usually re-set it about once a month.

The unidirectonal bezel requires a definite action to move it, and since it has become a daily wearer, I find I quite often use it as an oven or egg timer - much easier than the electronic thing on my oven!
One thing that I'm still not settled on is the strap. I was most disappointed with the blue canvas original that it came on as it was showing signs of wear after a very short time, and the color was a boring dark grey, hardly blue at all. So, I have tried a few experiments with straps.

Ever since I bought my C9 5Day which came with a Bader deployant, I have tried to get all my watches on this type of buckle. In comparison with a conventional buckle, it is easier to use, will push up my arm if needed, and doesn't stress the strap every time I put the watch on or off.

So I have experimented with a few straps. The one currrently in use is a home-distressed leather. The watch is looking used now, it would just look out of place with a smart dress leather strap. Canvas straps are too thick for the Bader, and nylon types will take a long time to lose that 'new' look. I'm happy that the current strap does the job for me, and looks suitably casual to go with the watch. I am still considering my options though. Oh and I really don't like NATO straps.
Yes, I do like this watch. It truly is a daily wearer, and I think it manages to perform that fashion conundrum of 'Smart Casual' with ease. It is something that I don't really think about a lot, I just put it on each day and wear it.

About once a month I set the time and that's it. I'll take it off if I'm doing rough jobs, but I have always done that with watches. This get less care than other watches I've worn and I really do just take it for granted. Someone said that quality goods age gracefully. This does exactly that.

If I could change anything, I'd like to have the wavy dial, and maybe lose the date.

To a certain extent, this watch has been a game changer for me. I was thinking of reducing my collection down to just those I regularly wear; but this has made me stop wearing different watches day to day, unless I want a different watch for a special occaision. So I now have one watch I regularly wear, and a small collection of those that I don't.

Note that clicking on any image will take you to a full size option on Flickr.
There's always time for one more.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Review CW C60 43 Bronze (C6043AB)

Post by Markornot »

Thanks for this review...this is a watch I'm seriously considering. As a sailor, it really appeals to me not only for the case material connection but the aging process that would make one less likely to stress over the occasional scratch or nick which is bound to happen while actively under sail.
it Is there a point at which the patina sort of settles in or is constantly darkening? How does heft feel compare to a SS watch of similar dimensions. Great pics btw...

Thx
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Review CW C60 43 Bronze (C6043AB)

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks for writing this, Paul. Although I cannot see bronze on my own horizon, I did enjoy your description of the various processes that contribute to the patina.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)