Review: C8 Power Reserve Chronometer

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Review: C8 Power Reserve Chronometer

Post by Richard D »

I’m not going to follow a traditional review of a watch as that would only repeat what has already been already said about the C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, instead this is a personal reflection. I’m one of those collectors who does not sell any of their watches. The main reason is that I only buy a watch if I feel that I can form an attachment. Therefore, what better story than to celebrate may 60th birthday than with a special timepiece.

After researching a number of options including a Tudor Black Bay and an Omega Seamaster 300, both fabulous watches I decided that I needed a closer look at another Christopher Ward, this time a C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, (C08-44HPR1-S00K1-TC). As I only live a short distance away from No:1 Park Street I took the opportunity to make a showroom appointment for the 27 September 2017 and boy was I not disappointed, the visit was not what I had expected. I was met by Declan Strange, Showroom Manager, who introduced me to the C8 Power Reserve Chronometer along with many other models including prototypes. I took an instant liking to the C8 in a steel finish. The contrasts between the brushed surfaces and the chamfered polished edges caught my eye. Even without my reading glasses the dial was immediately easy to read. I loved the subtle detail and thought given to the design. For example, the date which has an applied lume, the applied 12 and subtle use of red accents. In my humble opinion a beautifully balance dial.

Comfort is important to me and the vintage leather strap did not disappoint. I was also impressed by the finish and imagination applied to the SH21 movement. I’m particular, both winding barrels designed to look like turbines did made me smile.

I guess in many ways I was sold and an immediate attachment made. However, another surprise was to follow and that was being introduced to Adrian Buchmann, Head of Product Design who talked me through how the watch was conceived and how he had taken his design clues from famous aviation timepieces like the Spitfire's Mark II Smiths clock. We spent best part of an hour chatting not only that, Adrian personalising my owners paperwork.

If I were to compare this with another watch on the market, I don’t think I could. This is a unique design, it’s what makes in my eyes, CW special. Christopher Ward can deliver a watch that has its own story and one that I can add to over the years.

So nine months on has the attachment for this watch grown? The simple answer is definitely. I have a large collection of CWs and this without doubt is my favourite next to my C900 SP. The watch continuously holds my interest especially as it seems to suit many strap combinations. I really can’t fault this watch. The movement is fantastic and delivers a +3 accuracy. Not only that, a full wind lasts well over 5 days. The watch is extremely comfortably on my wrist and suits different occasions from work to causal recreational actives. A mechanical watch with so much detail will, and has, attracted a lot of comment and I know that one such conversation has led to an order.

Has this been the perfect way to celebrate my 60th year? Without a doubt it has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Re: Review: C8 Power Reserve Chronometer

Post by theemaadhatter »

I'm glad I was able to pick one of these up in the Nearly New category back in January. Though it's not the CW that I wear the most (that would be my C65 Trident Vintage), and not my first CW (that would be the Moonphase), it is undoubtedly my favorite.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thanks for the review Richard.

A watch always feels more special when there is a back story with it.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well done. A nice tour of the watch and a very personal story. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

I really like this review and it's made me take notice of a watch I'd not really taken any interest in before. The case back and movement look great.

Edit: And I should have added that Declan sounds like a great guy and a real asset to Christopher Ward.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Thanks for the review Richard.

A watch always feels more special when there is a back story with it.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Well done. A nice tour of the watch and a very personal story. :thumbup:
Thanks guys, very much sums up my collection as each watch has its individual narrative.
RichM wrote:I really like this review and it's made me take notice of a watch I'd not really taken any interest in before. The case back and movement look great.

Edit: And I should have added that Declan sounds like a great guy and a real asset to Christopher Ward.
Thanks Rich, if in some small way I have made someone look closely at a CW then I’m pleased. It’s a great brand, staffed and supported by lovely people.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

An excellent review Richard, it really shows off your enthusiasm for this watch in particular :thumbup:
It's definitely one that I have on my sights.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

MiniMpi wrote:An excellent review Richard, it really shows off your enthusiasm for this watch in particular :thumbup:
It's definitely one that I have on my sights.
Thank you Ferg, I throughly enjoy collecting watches and I’m glad my enthusiasm has come across.
Richard