Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Forthcoming - Elliot Brown Bloxworth 3HD

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Its a while since a new Elliot Brown was written about on these fair pages. It was early October last year when Des introduced us to the New Elliot Brown (Holton) Automatic. It seems therefore that this might be an Annual Event with the forthcoming Bloxworth 3HD range.

How do I know about the Bloxworth 3HD (3 hander)?

Well? Earlier this week I was browsing around (as you do), went to the Elliot Brown tab I have in my browser and scrolled through the models. At the end of the current Bloxworths (44mm Chronograph Diver) I can across a Bloxworth 929-106-L26 Founders Edition, the like of which I had not seen before.

004 - Bronze 929-106-L27.jpeg

Reading the extensive description of how it was designed and its feature, along with it being an LE of 250 pieces (a first for Elliot Brown), I was intrigued and wondered if I might get a bit more information; how come its a Bloxworth? When will it be available? etc.

I therefore wrote an enquiring email to Alex (the Brown in Elliot Brown) who I've met on several previous occasions, and ended up with an exchange of emails in which he shared a realm of information about the watch, its development and some new features. Some of what Alex wrote is here;-

"Glad you like the new 3HD. I’m sure I say this every time (!) but that took ages to design; I remember standing in the garden talking to Ian on the phone last March, talking about the colourways…

This one's a bit like cooking: In some ways, the simpler the dish, the better it’s got to be. Eggs Benedict is dead simple and done well it’s yummy, but there’s nowhere to hide. And I think this watch is the same; because it’s quite an apparently simple design everything’s got to be on point in terms of proportions etc. because it’s all there to see.

But I think it turned out really well. The proportions and the little details are lovely; the polished surfaces here and there, and the Tropic pattern on the dial and the caseback. It really is a showstopper.

There’s also a brand new ‘Tropic’ rubber strap in production too that fit this and also the other models in the range that’ll be available soon too.

The reasoning behind calling it a Bloxworth is that we’re trying to keep our watch models in families for simplicity, and this model was designed to be a ‘divers watch’ in the same way that most people would think of the OG Bloxworth as a ‘divers watch’. The case architecture is also very Bloxworth in terms of its proportions and the facets on the shoulders too."

"The starting point was wondering what would a classic diver on a Tropic strap look like using our design language and the (basic) Bloxworth case shape as that’s a ‘divers’ watch.

— our cardinal markers, the shape of the indexes, the fitted strap, the proportions of the dial, elements of the EB logo etc etc. The spirit of a heyday-diver but done with our sense of proportion and our detailing, without it being a pastiche or a homage etc.

That Zuludiver Tropic looks pretty nicely done, especially at the money; some Tropic straps I’ve seen are a lot more than that.
It’ll be interesting to see what you think of ours! We’ve been wearing the protos for a while and they’re fab. They might even replace our webbing strap as my new favourite.

The Founders watches are just going through final QC at the moment I think so I’d expect them to be here early next month, with the rest of the range following a little later and yes, the Founders model will be serial numbered with a serial numbered card too."

005 - Bronze 929-106-L27 - Back 2.jpeg

006 - Bronze 929-106-L27 - Back 1.jpeg

Will I be buying one of the Founders Edition or shall I wait to get one of the regular range; several of which Alex reckons I'll like?

Answers on a Post Card please. :wink: :wink:

Guy

NB> Edit, Mon 27th Sep 15:10 hrs
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm I've had a further chat with Alex this morning and he has asked me to point out;-

"the images I sent over are actual photos; they aren’t renders or CGIs etc.

They’re pro photos so they’re photographed and lit to bring out the details, but they are actual photos of the watch and I can say they are definitely representative of the watch itself."

NB> This refers to the three photos in my initial post (and as used on Elliot Brown's website).

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
Tortoisemeganwayne
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Forthcoming - Elliot Brown Bloxworth 3HD

Post by Tortoise »

Interesting - thanks for posting this Guy.

My postcard answer is: ....
Suspect you will try both and flip which ever you are least pleased with ! :D

Off to have a closer look..
cheers
Ian
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Founders Edition is written on my postcard since that is what got your attention.
I have to say, they have done a REALLY nice job with this one. Got my attention too. A bit long for my skinny wrist though.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I can’t sleep, hence the 5am post. And, I didn’t expect to see an Elliot Brown post at the top of the portal page. So why not comment, eh. I’m a very big fan of what they do after all. And, like Guy, I came across this new addition (yet to be launched) to the EB range around about a week ago. I also had a lengthy chat with Alex (Brown), much along the lines of which has been recorded by Guy in the blue wording.

I have included a couple of real world photos of a prototype that is being worn in the office, renders are a bit too lifeless and two dimensional. I think it’s a stunning watch with a gorgeous vintage feel. Highlights for me: the basket weave textured dial centre; the handset; the lollipop seconds hand; the bezel…in fact the whole damn thing. It’s a beauty!

Yes, I am sorely tempted, but I have vowed that my next addition will be a mechanical watch. Never say never I guess, eh Guy. 😉

Des
B691B485-C0B4-4626-9FFB-05CC2D654CB6.jpeg
Attachments
3B6A646D-382F-490F-8E10-20C928BB0225.jpeg
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Tortoise
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Thanks for the photos Des.

They really show the Bloxworth 'heritage' in the hands and case architecture, specifically the profile of the lugs. I'm really liking the coin edge to the bezel too.
Noush wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:44 am Founders Edition is written on my postcard since that is what got your attention.
I have to say, they have done a REALLY nice job with this one. Got my attention too. A bit long for my skinny wrist though.
That's why, with only a 40mm case (41mm bezel) which is on the smaller side of my preference, the longer lug2lug makes it work well (hopefully) for me. :) :)

Tortoise wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 am Interesting - thanks for posting this Guy.

My postcard answer is: ....
Suspect you will try both and flip which ever you are least pleased with ! :D

Off to have a closer look..
cheers

Got to start somewhere. :wink: :wink:

I'm definitely going for the Founders Edition and will take a view later on as to whether I get one of the others (presumably steel?) from the range.

Guy

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s a beautiful watch. Alex’s comments analogy to eggs Benedict is spot on! I enjoyed reading the thought process behind the watch. Thanks for sharing that.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS

I've had a further chat with Alex this morning and he has asked me to point out;-

"the images I sent over are actual photos; they aren’t renders or CGIs etc.

They’re pro photos so they’re photographed and lit to bring out the details, but they are actual photos of the watch and I can say they are definitely representative of the watch itself."

NB> This refers to the three photos in my initial post (and as used on Elliot Brown's website).

Guy

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Just to clarify, when I spoke of renders I was referring to what I thought was being shown on the EB website, not the photos in the OP here which are clearly real world photos. I didn't check back to the EB website when I made my post, and I know that they have used renders in the past for models that are not yet available for sale/pre production. I think this was done with the mountain rescue Canford Mk2 and possibly the Mk2 Broadstone.

My added photos were really added just to show photos out in the wild, so to speak, bezel smudges and all. Either way it's a beautiful watch, my temptation continues to grow.

D
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I make no secret of my love for this brand, at present they're the only maker in my watch box. Not only do they make fantastic watches, but they explain pretty much better than anyone else how they go about designing a new watch, or even strap for that matter. Below is the link to the design evolution of their new Bloxwoth 3HD. I think it makes a great read for anyone with an interest in watch design.

I had said to myself that my next watch would certainly be an auto, and CW was certainly in the shortlist. The new green Sealander is really pulling at my heart strings, it's gorgeous. But then this from the brand I love; my head is spinning like a bidirectional rotor.

Des

https://elliotbrownwatches.com/blogs/te ... 80809b8a62
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Bahnstormer_vRS

New arrival yesterday.

Elliot Brown Bloxworth 3HD* Founders Edition #007 of 250.

* 3 Hand Diver

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
mvlowstrapline

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Nice one, Guy! :thumbup:

My latest incoming was a surprise. Can’t quite say the same for yours! :lol:

Enjoy! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

strapline wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm I make no secret of my love for this brand, at present they're the only maker in my watch box. Not only do they make fantastic watches, but they explain pretty much better than anyone else how they go about designing a new watch, or even strap for that matter. Below is the link to the design evolution of their new Bloxwoth 3HD. I think it makes a great read for anyone with an interest in watch design.

I had said to myself that my next watch would certainly be an auto, and CW was certainly in the shortlist. The new green Sealander is really pulling at my heart strings, it's gorgeous. But then this from the brand I love; my head is spinning like a bidirectional rotor.

Des
I think you have summed my thoughts up perfectly, 'Guy' great photos thanks for posting. It looks good on their website but I always prefer real life photos Image Image
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:39 pm New arrival yesterday.

Guy

Nice one, Guy. You don't hang around do ya!! You're gonna leave Daniel Craig disappointed though :lol: :lol:

Be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you've got suitably acquainted. Hopefully you'll be left stirred but not shaken.

Des
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:39 pm New arrival yesterday.

Guy

Looks good - Congrats Guy ! :thumbup:
How is the lume?
cheers
Ian
Bahnstormer_vRS

Tortoise wrote:
Looks good - Congrats Guy ! Image
How is the lume?
cheers
Thanks.

Lume is first rate. As good as the current crop of CWs.

Guy

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Tortoise