The Plan

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

The Plan

Post by Thermexman »

I’ve mentioned “The Plan” a couple of times recently. I think?

It wasn’t a plan with hard and fast rules or aims. It was a “sort of a plan”, type of plan, if you get my meaning? It could evolve into something different or it could simply cease to be. Who knows?

It was meant to take a little longer to mature and fully form though! Especially as I’d promised not to buy another watch this year. :silent:

The Plan was simple. Reduce the collection down, over the next couple of years, to release funds for a more expensive purchase. This purchase was to be a watch that would head up a smaller collection and be the main watch to see me through the leaner years of retirement.

A watch of suitable quality to leave to my son. A watch that he’d happily place in a drawer, out of respect for my memory, as he’s clearly not that bothered by watches!

I was thinking maybe a Rolex? Maybe an Omega? A Zenith? An IWC?

The main sticking point to any of the above, wasn’t necessarily the price of purchase? When I say “necessarily”, I mean “definitely was” as I’d probably end up babying it due to the cost and not really wearing it in the carefree manner I’d intended.

Part of the plan, step one if you will, saw me sell my Tudor BBR 41mm as I had realised that I hadn’t been wearing it much lately. In fact, my watch app suggested it had been worn 28 times in three years of ownership!

Whilst I didn’t regret selling it, I kept coming back to the look, price verses quality proposition and pedigree of Tudor, as a brand. Particularly the Black Bay Fifty-Eight. I’m currently favouring the smaller diameters now.

Whilst the BB58 was top of my list, I hadn’t ruled out a couple of Omegas so found myself in a position to look in a few shops yesterday. The upshot is that I made up my mind as to what I wanted.

Now bare in mind that I wasn’t intending to buy yesterday as I’d promised I wouldn’t. I got permission though so it’s alright, isn’t it?

I know that the BB58s aren’t as hard to find as they once were but finding both versions available in the same shop still isn’t common, so when I saw them both together yesterday, it was rude not to go in and try them on?

I spent a pleasant time chatting to the friendly and knowledgeable young salesman and was quickly able to realise that a BB58 was going to fit the requirements of “The Plan” perfectly. Which colour though? That wasn’t quite so easy. The salesman was wearing the Black version and quickly declared himself as biased and stepped away from the debate.

As he stepped back though, he almost whispered the following fateful words: “We’re not supposed to discount Tudors and these particular models are hard to come by but we’ve been dead all day, so I might be able to wangle a deal, if you want to buy today!”

Well, what’s an addict meant to do?

The manager duly offered 5%.
I wrinkled my nose and said 10% would do it. (I’m not greedy and they’ve got a business to run after all? Or is 10% greedy?)
Anyway, a swift call to the area manager secured me the following, with a lovely little 10% discount:

I love it. The shade of blue is sublime. It’s got such a casual, yet classy and understated look about it and the size and proportions are spot on, in my opinion. It might not be to everyone’s taste but it absolutely ticks all my current boxes. I love it. Oh, did I say that already?

Just got to whittle down the collection now.

FDB08FEF-E64D-4C76-9D86-83798BDC495A.jpeg
Attachments
7E955B2A-992F-4976-B8DD-59279D3BFC79.jpeg
C7875DFC-C883-46A1-88AF-141BE4455D00.jpeg
C851BF98-2544-4367-AC60-849E841E466F.jpeg
33EA0F98-4BB2-4605-BC0C-B9858C70997C.jpeg
B14F1235-F99F-40EF-921B-F7CE0AFC340E.jpeg
These users thanked the author Thermexman for the post (total 6):
scootersproughtonBidentStrapMeister0uatiOWTortoise
Steve.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: The Plan

Post by tikkathree »

Well, that fits the criteria for "gorgeous watch" and no mistake. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thermexman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:02 pm
I spent a pleasant time chatting to the friendly and knowledgeable young salesman and was quickly able to realise that a BB58 was going to fit the requirements of “The Plan” perfectly. Which colour though? That wasn’t quite so easy. The salesman was wearing the Black version and quickly declared himself as biased and stepped away from the debate.

As he stepped back though, he almost whispered the following fateful words: “We’re not supposed to discount Tudors and these particular models are hard to come by but we’ve been dead all day, so I might be able to wangle a deal, if you want to buy today!”

Well, what’s an addict meant to do?

The manager duly offered 5%.
I wrinkled my nose and said 10% would do it. (I’m not greedy and they’ve got a business to run after all? Or is 10% greedy?)
Anyway, a swift call to the area manager secured me the following, with a lovely little 10% discount:
Hey, isn't it good that the old dances still pay off?

Shop Manager : "Hello area manager, I've got this really keen customer, we're talking about...."

Area Manager: "At the third stroke, it will be ten forty two and fifteen seconds" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got what you wanted at a price you were willing to pay: great result. You've even positioned yourself for a nice Rolex :silent: :silent: :silent:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Thermexman
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Although I already commented on the NCWOTD thread, have just seen your post here. Great to read your plan came together and didn't completely break the bank. As you found out the 58 is definitely not too hard to find now and a discount can be had, good bargaining on your part.

The 58 blue is such a lovely colour and difficult to capture well in photos, I think your final photo above nails it though. I was thinking recently that I might put mine back on its bracelet soon and these photos confirm that.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
Thermexman
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Steve I do like a plan that comes together. :clap: :thumbup:

Congratulations it’s a lovely watch.

I still think that the 39mm BB, in either colour, represents the best value dive watch on the market.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Thermexman
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Many a Watch God are draining their ale filled gourds in salute to your fine a$$ pick up!!..they give it 2 spears up!!.. 8)
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post:
Thermexman
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I love the watch plans we have, and yours has worked out perfectly. What a gorgeous watch to see you through the years. :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Thermexman
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Totally top notch acquisition, Steve and a lovely story to go with it.

How long did you say your honeymoon is going to be?

Enjoy wearing it in, hopefully, good health for many a year to come.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Thermexman
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Psst!

I gave it a like.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
Thermexman
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer

Post by downer »

Great watch, and (in my eyes) it has better proportions than the original Black Bay.

Congrats!
These users thanked the author downer for the post:
Thermexman
Richard
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Thanks guys & gals.

Patrick, you’re so right about the blue colour being difficult to capture. I totally agree that the last pic captures it perfectly though!

Peter, you old cynic. The old “ring the speaking clock” rouse went out the door when Minder ceased filming, didn’t it?

Scooter, your thumbs up will be our secret. :wink:
Steve.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Congrats, the BB58 blue is a lovely watch, probably the best of its type at that price point. It's a great watch to consolidate to. And, if I was thinking 'less is more', this would certainly be a watch that would leave me comfortable in my decision.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Thermexman
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:02 pm I love it.
…..and that is all that matters.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Thermexman
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Seriously, it is a great watch that I would have bought on release had it not been for my Submariner and blue dialled, blue insert C60 FLE (blue scooter).

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
Thermexman
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Brilliant watch. End of.

Congratulations on a great choice
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
Thermexman
Cheers now, Paul
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

It's a seriously comfortable and well designed watch - congratulations and wear in good health! I only went for the black because of small sentimental reasons about the design and the timing of my purchase. I do often lust after the blue too...
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Thermexman
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex