Marloe Solent

A place to discuss other watch-brands
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Marloe Solent

Post by biggus_richus »

I've enjoyed a bit of an on-off love affair with Marloe watches over the past few years. Go back to my last SOTC, and you'll see a Coniston Bluebird, bought in excitement on its launch day, and a Lomond Panda, strong candidate for my favourite watch ever. Neither are with me anymore; the Coniston went as It was no longer my favourite blue/white watch and the Lomond fell to a smaller panda-dialled piece. In the meantime, a Derwent Sundial came and went as I discovered I don't like two-handers, as did a Haskell Black Edition (twice) because I felt it wasn’t the sum of its individually beautiful design elements.

My Marloe interests are currently represented by the Morar Sands and Coniston Speed Edition, the former amusingly polarising (more so before it’s price was slashed by a third) and the latter partially responsible for ousting the original Bluebird from my collection.

Along with the outgoings, the company moved up to Scotland which, while commercially sensible, somehow broke the affinity I had for a brand almost on my doorstep, and the newer releases weren’t appealing to me in the same way as the older models did. And so it was when preview images for the Solent were released. If I pushed myself to say something nice, I liked the sector markings on the black Cardinal. But the white Windward just seemed pedestrian and besides, 42mm without a bezel is verging on the large side for my preference. Then the social media campaign was launched, and a couple of images caught my eye; one design feature in particular. Add the marketing machine to the mix, spinning a back story that held resonance, and before I knew it that “pedestrian” white model was in my hands!
238C88D7-3918-49E5-839C-170F6ADE1878.jpeg
DD861614-A30A-4C5A-B9E9-F495D6C7938C.jpeg
In summary, it really is surprisingly lovely; surprising in that I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. For its size, it wears similarly to the 40mm Coniston, no doubt helped by the grey rehaut and the fact that the lug to lug is only half a millimetre more. The white, yellow and grey combination is unusual but well matched, and the yellow is used sparingly. The white-on-white numerals work surprisingly well, and the arrows at each hour marker, the only real visible nod to the inspiration behind the watch, are quirky but not overly intrusive. The watch face itself is no Anthropocene, nor Opalin finished C1, but it’s not completely flat and changes from cream to bright white under varying lights. The hands and lack of any lume won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ve caught myself admiring the shadows they cast. The case is polished and, unusually, very slightly tapers towards the watch face. The face of the crown is bead-blasted, contrasting nicely with the case and finished with the signature 'M'.
160F96FB-F06F-4E25-81B6-80F54308B74E.jpeg
50421EA6-E8BE-495A-8C47-C52263978E64.jpeg
I need to come back to the design feature that really grabbed my attention in the social media photos, and it's a master stroke; the yellow ring hidden, and slightly recessed under the grey rehaut. Invisible when viewed directly face on, it only appears when the watch is viewed at an angle, (although can appear in reflection as seen above) and pairs brilliantly with the second, outer yellow ring. Marloe have a good history of adding depth in their dial designs, but that’s always come with the cost of, well, actual physical depth. Here, what may seem to be a minor feature comes at virtually zero physical cost and it’s sublime yet transformative.
C59BDE62-FE43-4A24-961F-724760225178.jpeg
Things are less great from the rear but by no means bad. Marloe know how to do a caseback. They can do exhibition casebacks - see the Coniston and Lomond. They can do an engraved caseback - see the Haskell and Morar. But this follows the Atlantic with a view in to a pretty boring movement, and not even a decorated rotor. It’s saved - just - by the yellow ring, with trademark inspirational quote. The back as a whole feels like a missed opportunity, but at the same time, I can understand if Marloe are trying to hit a certain price point, especially given their trials with the Morar.
372F6295-01B4-4DE3-A797-AB994BC9FA7D.jpeg
Elsewhere, the movement hacks but isn’t especially pleasing to wind, lacking smoothness. The strap is nice though; better than your average Barton or Archer with quick release and rounded inside edges. The Marloe logo on the tip of the tail end is a nice touch, but in reality will always be obscured in wear by a keeper. I’m tempted to add another colour strap, but they’re not yet listed separately on the website, so I’ve no idea what sort of premium they will command. I’ve since discovered that it also looks great on the CW vintage camel strap, but of course it does as there are few watches that don’t.
00E47D97-44CF-4542-AEA1-71209DBBF4F8.jpeg
BAB96997-EA4C-4D7D-A43F-BE15CCE59E8B.jpeg
I had been thinking about getting a C63 Sealander since it was launched, the main barrier being an already fairly sizeable compliment of batons and trident counter-weights in my collection. The Solent won’t have Mike France making good on his promise of a free watch for matching the C63’s engineering quality and price point, but it holds its own. The Cardinal is a more distinctive design but in its Windward guise it impresses with its own #GADA qualities.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Marloe Solent

Post by angusbon »

Great write up Rich, and just a lovely looking watch

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author angusbon for the post:
biggus_richus
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

biggus_richus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm The Solent won’t have Mike France making good on his promise of a free watch for matching the C63’s engineering quality and price point, but it holds its own.
Having worn a C63 for the last week, I think you may be right. However, that’s a great write up on a good-looking watch from an interesting company. Thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
biggus_richus
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

A brilliant write-up - incorporates so many facets and aspects of the watch - a reminder that a watch never stands in isolation of so many other less tangible factors that need mentioned.
A great read - thanks for posting :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
biggus_richus
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00