Bulova 1957 Prototype dive watch reissue

A place to discuss other watch-brands
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Bulova 1957 Prototype dive watch reissue

Post by mvlow »

This is an interesting new reissue of a Bulova prototype mil-spec dive watch from 1957. The original watch never went into production. 16mm lug width is definitely a little different.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bulov ... 2JoAZ5HCyw

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 8.48.40 AM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Bulova 1957 Prototype dive watch reissue

Post by angusbon »

Obviously the Blancpain vibe is appealing without being a direct rip off.
Interesting read Malcolm, thanks for sharing

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

angusbon wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 pm Obviously the Blancpain vibe is appealing without being a direct rip off.

Thanks. My wife has been collecting vintage lady Bulova watches for a few years, and Bulova is currently borrowing one of her watches to produce a reissue. It is the watch worn by the main character in the Queens Gambit Netflix series. The watch has become very popular since the series came out and Bulova did not have a copy of the exact vintage watch on which to base their new reissue. It will be interesting to see how close they get to the original.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i like everything about this.

except the 16mm lugs. tiny little bird legs and a fat belly.
the "g" is for Greg...
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

mvlow wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:26 pm
angusbon wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 pm Obviously the Blancpain vibe is appealing without being a direct rip off.

Thanks. My wife has been collecting vintage lady Bulova watches for a few years, and Bulova is currently borrowing one of her watches to produce a reissue. It is the watch worn by the main character in the Queens Gambit Netflix series. The watch has become very popular since the series came out and Bulova did not have a copy of the exact vintage watch on which to base their new reissue. It will be interesting to see how close they get to the original.
This is very cool Malcolm. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this as a possible watch for my wife. Do you have a good picture of it? It's been a while since I've watched the series, and I can't find a good picture of it online.
I hope Bulova gifts your wife one of the reissues as a thank you for the loan.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Lavaine wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 am
This is very cool Malcolm. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this as a possible watch for my wife. Do you have a good picture of it? It's been a while since I've watched the series, and I can't find a good picture of it online.
I hope Bulova gifts your wife one of the reissues as a thank you for the loan.
Thanks. The watch is an American Girl K made in 1958. I'm fairly confident they will gift her a reissue once they are released as they have been very grateful she has loaned it to them. They are projecting they will be available for sale sometime this Fall.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.36.53 PM.png
Malcolm

FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

A Miyota 8 series movement in a $900 watch? No.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

FloridaPhil wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:58 pm A Miyota 8 series movement in a $900 watch? No.
I agree the pricing is too high Phil. I would never buy a Bulova at full RRP as they usually quickly go on sale for a significant discount at most major online retailers.
Malcolm