Grand Seiko and the 44GS case

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

We know Grand Seiko for its unique situation of offering so many different TYPES of in-house movements.
The 9F "super-quartz", the 9R Spring Drive and 9S mechanicals, in particular the Hi-Beats.
It allows them to offer this wide range of movements with the same case design and I can't think of anyone else doing this. Anybody??

For mine the iconic case is the 44GS, first seen in 1967 and as spectacular, even modern, today as ever it has been. Remarkable.
In pics and videos it is stunning, but although I have had a few GS watches on my wrist I've never actually tried a 44GS on.
There will be some folk here with such experience. I'm interested in any observations you have.
Pic attached for illustration but I have a couple of questions.
As I prefer a watch not to "shout" - does it?
It presents quite a bit of Zaratsu polish towards the wearer. Is it really a smudge/scuff/scratch magnet? Does that really jump out at you more than other watches?
Seiko+Grand+Seiko+SBGA375+Blue+Dial+-+2019+(2).jpg
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Grand Seiko and the 44GS case

Post by angusbon »

Never tried the 44gs, but own a snowflake and yes, the Zaratsu is a smudge magnet

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

To me GS is all about the spring drive models. :thumbup:

My out and out favourite case shape from GS is the 44GS. If I bought another GS it would likely be a 44GS cased SD model.

That said the new case shape of the SLGA007 looks rather splendid, even though it isn’t a 44GS.

Chris the one in your pic looks like the lovely blue/black SBGA375. Having tried one on it would certainly be on my short list.

Now whilst watch types like to think that GS “fly under the radar”, I really don’t think that is the case.

I have the champagne dial SBGA001 - Mrs nbg often refers to it as my “bling watch”. Far more noticeable on the wrist than any Rolex that I own. I don’t really notice smudges and mine doesn’t seem scratched up, even though worn for the same activities as Rolex, Tudor, Omega and the like. I.e. not worn as a “dress watch”.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

It is indeed the SBGA375, Neil. And I rather like it.
For sure there is a GS SD in my future, just a matter of which one.
As I put up in the Day Dreaming thread, my gorgeous daughter and her family have quite loudly and unanimously agreed the special watch for me should be the "Skyflake" SBGA407. That is ALL polished and a bit dressier than I would normally go for but gosh it is rather special.
They are both gorgeous pieces in quite different ways and I am going to have to get them on wrist.

As we are in HEAVY lockdown in Sydney at the moment and expect to be until at least the end of September ("Delta" is rampant), it will have to wait until I get to do that. But I think those 2 are The Shortlist. I do rather like the '373 with champagne dial too so I guess there's 3 :)
Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ Last time I tried on GS was in a Seiko boutique a couple of years ago - including the SBGA375.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52631&hilit=Grand+Seiko

It is the angular case shape that really does it for me. :)

I think it is difficult to take pics of that show the various shades of dial colour.

Happy hunting.

Neil
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Thanks for that thread heads-up Neil.
My instinct says the Family Favourite Skyflake is more interesting in close-up and perhaps less so on the wrist. Have to try them on.
I'm gravitating towards the '375, hence the thread - suspect it would get more natural wrist time. A more versatile fabulousness if you like, which is what I'm looking for.
Chris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Chris

while I do not have a 44GS either, I agree with Neil that the SD is something rather special. The cases do differ a bit between models and it is very much that you need to experience them but the detailing is always superb. I would say the overall impression is distinctive but not in your face garish.
ND2_2205.jpeg
I have not found mine to be a scratch magnet though for sure the polished surfaces do show up smudges - easily wiped. I am very pleased with it and real world accuracy is well within the quoted 15s a month if that matters to you.

Have fun choosing

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Resurrecting this thread because the following W&W article popped up in my feed this morning.

Grand Seiko introducing 36.5mm 44GS case

Wonder if it will eventually become part of the standard lineup.
Ryan
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ I do hope so Ryan. I think it’s spot on. :thumbup:

As GS have been busy the past year in tweaking quite a few of the cases, including the new Evolution design language, I reckon it’s a racing certainty that others will follow.

Neil
TZ-UK
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Agreed. Not a dial that does anything for me but I'm sure there are plenty that would with that size case
Mabeco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mabeco »

I've tried the sbga415 this weekend, the winter and I was blown away.
It does not have a bezel and sits much lower than the skyflake for example.

Don't have a budget for the moment or else, I'd probably leave the shop with it.

The new case is amazing!
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Very cool they have taken to the smaller size, although the pink is not for me.....

I will stick to my '373 40mm champagne dial thank you :) And yes, a smudge magnet but there really is something special about the 44GS. May more people enjoy it!
Chris
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

20220419_112309.jpg
This is my SBGA283, 39mm on my 18cm wrist. It wears like a 38mm though, as the case has polished 'shoulders' that extend the case width from the bezel slightly. Most GS watches seem to follow this design idea in that the case sides are not vertical, obviously the 44GS shape takes this concept further. As previously stated, a quick wipe with a soft cloth restores the stunning finish. The overall level of this watch is a high as I've ever seen and I've owned and handled several Rolex and Omega previously. There's just something special about a GS, and they are totally under the radar. This is less than +1s a week and the smooth second hand is mesmerising. You can still pick this model up new less than £3k if you shop around, although it was deleted last year I believe, its 9R65 SD movement is still current however. The bracelet is very very fiddly to adjust, personally I find pin and collar much simpler than tiny 1mm screws!!
wookiechew23
Senior
Senior

Post by wookiechew23 »

Gorgeous watch! GS make some amazing pieces, and I hope to get one in my collection soon.
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE, C1 Bel Canto, C12 Twelve Ti