A place to discuss other watch-brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Incoming - ‘Exit Watch’ is here!

Post by missF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes - I KNOW I said the plan was to consolidate to two watches which would do me until the end of time... But as soon as I settled on that idea (and I was very happily settled), two very different watches jumped out at me, and I believe that the second of the two is going to be my exit watch...

Is there such a thing as an exit watch? Who knows?!! I’ve been here long enough to know that there might always be ‘just one more’ (even Scooter’s sub wasn’t in the end an exit watch). But circumstances sometimes must, and I think I’d rather go out with one brilliant exit watch than keep acquiring cheaper watches into the future.

So, first came the experiment, and I’ve mentioned this already. Inbound is a Tissot t-touch ana-digi watch. I’ll see if I need any of the functionality- see if I appreciate owning a daily beater (it’s never so far been my style), then probably move it on.

And the Exit Watch? I don’t know when it will get here, so you have plenty time to guess! Three clues:
1. It houses my favourite complication, and I’m totally excited about this above all else.
2. It’s a Swiss brand - there is a small collection of this brand on the forum
3. It satisfies my love of slightly different style.

Aside from any guesses, I’d be interested in your thoughts on exit watches. Do you have one in mind? Have you ever inched towards finding your collection complete? Can there ever EVER be such a thing?! :lol:

:thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Incoming - Experiment and Exit Watch

Post by nbg »

1. Pointer date. :)

I will ponder on the other points.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:50 pm 1. Pointer date. :)
Actually no! But a good guess. Turns out there is a greater complication than this - one that somehow, for me, marks a great watch wherever I see it...
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I should have also said that this is a 2020 pre-owned watch, so you may not get the actual model. First to guess the complication and brand wins the kudos...
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Is it a day date?
Ryan
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Nope. It’s less common than a day-date
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Moon phase?
Richard
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Nope! (I realise that I have waxed lyrical about all of these over the years!!)

The complication in question is a simple complication made more complicated. And as far as I have seen more likely to be seen on some very gorgeous (and way-beyond-my-reach expensive) watches...
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

A god status Casio... sorry been watching too many Nico’s YouTube posts :lol: :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

missF wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:53 pm
nbg wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:50 pm 1. Pointer date. :)
Actually no! But a good guess. Turns out there is a greater complication than this - one that somehow, for me, marks a great watch wherever I see it...
Ok what about a big date?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I have nothing useful to add to the sleuthing about Lindsey’s exit watch, but on the more general topic, thinking out loud, I would expect an exit watch would have to be a grail watch. It has to be the pinnacle, which once achieved, leaves nowhere else to go, nothing else to do…. The grail is so good that there is simply no point in going on.

I don’t have a grail, and therefore I don’t see myself finding an exit watch. However, as my stream of consciousness continues, I have occasionally started to think, while wearing one particular favourite or another, “If I had an only-watch could this be it?” Whenever I’ve found myself answering “yes”, thoughts of consolidation have started to creep into my head. Perhaps then, an exit watch doesn’t need to be incoming. Perhaps I already have mine, nestling patiently & quietly in my collection, waiting for me to realise, like turning round one day and noticing that the girl next door, who has always been standing right there, is, in fact, the one.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

A small seconds?

As far as an exit watch, I refuse to entertain the idea. The hunt for the next watch is too much fun, even if I have attained my grail! There’s still so many unique and interesting watches and micro brands out there.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:36 pm Aside from any guesses, I’d be interested in your thoughts on exit watches. Do you have one in mind? Have you ever inched towards finding your collection complete? Can there ever EVER be such a thing?!
Most posts so far seem to be guessing your last watch, but I’ll choose to answer the other question if I may.

I’ve pondered this one myself. I’m 50 in a couple of years and have frequently considered selling most of my watches, just keeping one or two and going for one “exit” watch with the funds from the others.

While I would probably be happy with this in the short term, I'm sure I’d never really get over the excitement which comes with chasing the next watch.

Therefore what im looking to do is probably implement the main part of my plan, but keep one or two lower value watches in my collection and have a one in one out rule on these. This will allow me to meet the end game, while still keeping me in the hunt for the next watch. I think if I achieve this, a couple of higher value watches will be enough, while allowing some fun at the other end.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:46 pm
Ok what about a big date?
That’s the one! :clap: :clap:
Big dates for me are pure class wherever I see one :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:49 pm I would expect an exit watch would have to be a grail watch.
I’m not sure about this, having never really had a grail watch. I should think it’s possible that your grail might already be in your collection, in which case your exit watch might be one to ‘round off’ the collection? In my case I found a big date watch that I really love within a budget I never expected. Then it was a spur of the moment decision rather than a long planned for grail. Still - I’m fond of making quick decisions then justifying them at length after the fact! :lol:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00