Just an observation on Chronographs lately

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Just an observation on Chronographs lately

Post by jkbarnes »

jtc wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:06 pm I wish there were more centre minute counter hands on chronographs, with an elapsed running seconds and hour totaliser. What more could you need! The closest I've found is a Damasko...
I love the center minute counter of my C65 AM GT LE. That was a part of its appeal for me. I find its timing options offer tremendous utility. It can track up to 12 hours down to the 1/10 of a second. That’s impressive.
Drew
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:53 pm ^^^ What about 2:45 vs 3:15? When you get past an hour or two, anyone can get that mixed up if you’re tied up in a task. I prefer the ease of use and speed of using the watch on my wrist to getting out my phone or computer.
I view the purpose of a chrono as that of recording time precisely, which, for me is by definition in shorter periods. It's rare that I need to be accurate to the second over a longer time frame since precise time becomes less critical as more time elapses. So, for me, a 30 minute chrono is more than adequate. I can tell easily if it's been running more than 30 minutes.

That said, many quartz chronos do provide 12 hour elapsed time recording.

Let's be honest, a chronograph is pretty much an anachronism these days since we have much more accurate timers on even the cheapest of cell phones. *Most* owners, me included, just like them for the look.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Bicompax with no hours is having a run these days. 30 minute counters don’t do me much good.

I’d like to see a bicompax with a jump hour for the chrono hours instead of a date.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:49 pm
jtc wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:06 pm I wish there were more centre minute counter hands on chronographs, with an elapsed running seconds and hour totaliser. What more could you need! The closest I've found is a Damasko...
I love the center minute counter of my C65 AM GT LE. That was a part of its appeal for me. I find its timing options offer tremendous utility. It can track up to 12 hours down to the 1/10 of a second. That’s impressive.
Yes, although finding a mechanical equivalent is more difficult!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:40 pm
Soporsche wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:34 pm It maybe eyesight, maybe lack of attention, but find some tri-compax in particular interfere with the primary objective of telling the time 🥴.
As I mentioned in the dial thread that is one of the beauties of the Speedy Moonwatch. I think it’s because of the overall lack of colour on the dial that it doesn’t look as busy as some. It’s pure white on black. For some reason when I need to see the time I can see it instantly, and the same applies on the rather more rare occasions when I need to look at the chronograph hands.
I agree completely Steve, which is why the only recent chrono I acquired was the Speedy. Both black and white dial variations retain good legibility though the white hands on black dial probably edges it.
20210712_083441.jpg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:53 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:53 pm ^^^ What about 2:45 vs 3:15? When you get past an hour or two, anyone can get that mixed up if you’re tied up in a task. I prefer the ease of use and speed of using the watch on my wrist to getting out my phone or computer.
I view the purpose of a chrono as that of recording time precisely, which, for me is by definition in shorter periods. It's rare that I need to be accurate to the second over a longer time frame since precise time becomes less critical as more time elapses. So, for me, a 30 minute chrono is more than adequate. I can tell easily if it's been running more than 30 minutes.

That said, many quartz chronos do provide 12 hour elapsed time recording.

Let's be honest, a chronograph is pretty much an anachronism these days since we have much more accurate timers on even the cheapest of cell phones. *Most* owners, me included, just like them for the look.
I can see that :thumbup:
And of course I could easily buy a $15 stopwatch to hang around my neck, but I choose to spend thousands on a fine Swiss made timepiece :lol:
What a world we live in.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:55 pm Bicompax with no hours is having a run these days. 30 minute counters don’t do me much good.

I’d like to see a bicompax with a jump hour for the chrono hours instead of a date.
How about a bicompax with a jump hour for Chrono hours plus a big date and a power reserve? I’d buy one of these tomorrow if I could justify the cost of one, which I currently can’t.

C843C0DD-36BF-48B7-A478-0849EBF15917.jpeg
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 pm
Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:55 pm Bicompax with no hours is having a run these days. 30 minute counters don’t do me much good.

How about a bicompax with a jump hour for Chrono hours plus a big date and a power reserve? I’d buy one of these tomorrow if I could justify the cost of one, which I currently can’t.

Oh my god, I now believe in love at first sight. The want/need factor on this one is HIGH. *Adding to the list*
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 pm How about a bicompax with a jump hour for Chrono hours plus a big date and a power reserve? I’d buy one of these tomorrow if I could justify the cost of one, which I currently can’t.

Now that’s a good looking watch! Holy cow! Is that a power reserve set in the seconds sundial?!
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:31 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 pm How about a bicompax with a jump hour for Chrono hours plus a big date and a power reserve? I’d buy one of these tomorrow if I could justify the cost of one, which I currently can’t.

Now that’s a good looking watch! Holy cow! Is that a power reserve set in the seconds sundial?!
Yep, it surely is. 12 hour jump hour chronograph, big date, power reserve, 100M WR. All the watch you ever need. Stunning.

Edit: Forgot to add, it’s also a fly back Chrono
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:35 pm
Yep, it surely is. 12 hour jump hour chronograph, big date, power reserve, 100M WR. All the watch you ever need. Stunning.
Just finished reading about in on their website. That is an eye watering price. But wow, what a beauty! It’s been added to my “If I Win the Lottery” list, along with a Reverso.
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:30 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Oh my god, I now believe in love at first sight. The want/need factor on this one is HIGH. *Adding to the list*
Yep, it’s been on my list a fair while now but that tiny little thing called money always gets in the way :lol:
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

TigerChris wrote:

Haha, someone makes one?!?!?

Now THAT is cool! I had no idea such a thing existed.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:35 pm
Just finished reading about in on their website. That is an eye watering price. But wow, what a beauty! It’s been added to my “If I Win the Lottery” list, along with a Reverso.
Yep, price is the big hurdle :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^ Often available at a more reasonable price preowned or from a grey market dealer. A lovely watch.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK