A place to discuss other watch-brands
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Re: Incoming. Can you guess?

Post by trsullivan »

AB3FD347-CAB0-4B6F-97A6-E81C92085CBF.jpeg
Saw this thread after coming home from work, and just could not resist temptation...
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I also bought a 5610 a couple of years ago for about £60 new if I remember correctly. I only wear it on the boat but it’s a bloody fantastic value watch for the money.

If we weren’t such snobs it’s probably the only watch you’d ever need.
Tim
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

^^^
You really can't go wrong with a G-Shock. Since I hate changing batteries, I prefer the solar powered models. But I must agree: everything you ever need
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

Great pickup - I have a few G Shocks and they've taken just about everything I've thrown at them!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

timor54 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:33 pm If we weren’t such snobs it’s probably the only watch you’d ever need.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But we are – which is why we are here! But so true. We agonise (I certainly do) about watches to take on trips. Fair enough, the places I go to are generally fairly quiet and low-key. But if I was going somewhere where I was concerned about security, and didn’t feel the need for something elegant in the evening, this is a definite GADA/GODO.

When I did the Camino de Santiago ten years ago I wore an old Casio Illuminator on a sports Velcro strap. It performed brilliantly, of course, in a completely dressed down environment. I would love to repeat the experience, and possibly spend a couple of weeks helping out in a pilgrim hostel. I wouldn’t hesitate to lock all the other watches away and take this one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by mibby »

Nice - I have a 5600, which just goes on and on...
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

My G-Shock is probably worn 50% of the time since COVID hit. Stick it on and forget about it - ideal.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Congrats. A very competent watch for what it is. It will serve you well.

I like the idea of having a G-Shock. Had one once, didn’t connect with it and eventually sold it. Have contemplated one of those Casio-oak jobs, but feel the novelty would quickly wear off. So I guess they are not for me.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia

Ten-day update.

I’m very pleased with it for what it is. Quite clearly it does what it says on the tin, actually it doesn’t say much on the tin.

It is worn for a couple of hours most days when I go to the gym or the golf range, and at other times it lives on a south facing bedroom window sill. The charge always appears to be full and I suppose it is picking up the midnight radio signal, because it is always spot-on.

I haven’t tried the alarms or chronograph function yet. I will need to throw a towel over my head and attempt to decipher the minuscule print in the instruction book.

All in all, though, pretty good for less than £100.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’m pleased to hear that it’s of use Steve, although In a way I’m disappointed as I always thought you’d be a holdout against the tide of g-shocks and their ilk making inroads onto our arms.

I guess I’ll be making a lone stand at the OK Corral, with my protest sign that reads “NO cyclops, NO G-Shocks”. I can’t in all honesty say which I dislike more.

Actually, after writing that, I just realised that I can; the cyclops is worse - a cyclops lens will absolutely stop me from buying a watch I otherwise really like; G-Shocks are simply a watch I won’t buy…. Sorry mate

P.S. Please don’t have a cyclops retrofitted to the G-Shock.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Sorry for letting the side down, Gary, but I can assure you that it’s purely for practical purposes. It goes on when I go to the golf range or the gym, and I take it off again when I get home.
Steve

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Good choice Steve. I love mine. The only problem is that I treat the darn thing with the same care & respect as my most expensive watch!!!! Go figure that one out? :lol:
Steve.
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Steve, if you google "Casio 3159 instructions," you should be rewarded with a number of much larger type downloadable/printable instructions.
Worked for me, anyway.

Regards, Tom
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Thanks, Tom. I just remembered I already downloaded it! But thank you – really kind and a top tip! :thumbup:
Steve

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:^^^ Sorry for letting the side down, Gary, but I can assure you that it’s purely for practical purposes. It goes on when I go to the golf range or the gym, and I take it off again when I get home.
It was all tongue in cheek Steve, I appreciate that necessity sometimes wins. :) But in my house, the cyclops never does (you watch, one day, I’ll be forced to eat those words!).
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier