Rolex a discussion

A place to discuss other watch-brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Rolex a discussion

Post by nbg »

^^^ Nope. I reckon the pics will be a while Richard. But then again I am in no hurry. Probably because I am not part of the “I want it and I want it now, it’s not fair” brigade! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Interested to see what the new arrival will be, in due course.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

nbg wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:58 pm PS: I am pleased that I have managed to type the above, without lapsing into such toe curling turns of phrase as “my AD”, “allocation piece” or “building a relationship”. :silent:

Showed Mrs nbg a pic of the favoured watches I had tried on and one that I hadn’t, explained that there was a new store manager. She indicated it was ok to buy whatever it was, but wasn’t keen on me building a relationship, as we have been happily married for absolutely ages! :lol:
I think, Neil, that you have managed to "build a relationship" with "your AD" in an honest way. You visit from time to time, you try on, chat, and develop a rapport, and (most importantly) you have bought what YOU like, not what THEY want to sell you. This is how business should be conducted. Maybe you get some preference on wait lists as a preferred customer. Maybe you don't. Either way, you didn't have to buy a bunch of slow sellers at full RRP just to get consideration for a new watch. This does not seem to be they way a lot of Rolex dealers work anymore.

General impressions of the new 36mm Explorer? It would be interesting to be able to try the new 36mm, 39mm and 36mm 114270 side by side.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Chris I didn’t see the new SS version, but I did try on the TT version to check out how it felt on the wrist. I think for me it’s a perfect size for that style of watch. The bracelet is more tapered than the 114270, but that is fine from my perspective.

I think that it would be a great one watch candidate and easier to get a good fit than the previous 36mm version, as there are more removable links on the 6 o’clock side.

Whilst looking at the TT version I couldn’t help but think how good an SS version would look with the YG hands and indices from the TT. :)

I do realise it is often potluck with many ADs nowadays. I think often the more local ones are prepared to think long term than trying to leverage every sale.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

nbg wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:14 pm I think that it would be a great one watch candidate and easier to get a good fit than the previous 36mm version, as there are more removable links on the 6 o’clock side.

Neil
Although i don't own either, I've always thought the Explorer or OP are perfect one watch candidates. Interesting comment on the bracelet links. Those are the types of things that don't typically get mentioned in reviews.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Regardless of your position on Rolex this whole thing has been fascinating to watch…
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by mibby »

I have a few Rolexes, but I won't pay silly prices. I paid around RRP for a second-hand sub, less than RRP for a second-hand Datejust, and bought the Milgauss and the OP new, but at duty-free prices.
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Quite an interesting read.

https://www.watchpro.com/corders-column ... -a-bubble/

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^
I was going to post the same article. Very interesting. Maybe except for the inclusion of breitling as one of the main alternatives?
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Nothing really new here. It has all been discussed in the thread. What drew my attention was a £35k Nautilus selling for £500k. There are a lot of people with very deep pockets these days. A bit of watch inflation is neither here nor there.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The guy who bought the Nautilus won't be able to unwrap it. It's probably a buying and selling watch, not a wearing one.
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

i currently own a couple and love them. Nothing else feels quite as nice. mine are five digit sports models, so quite dainty. I am looking at a Tudor to go with them too and maybe a farer. such as this https://farer.com/products/roche
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

There's a tread doing the rounds at the mo' other-brands/which-one-of-these-two-and-why-t57788.html which the poster asks us which watch we would choose between a Hublot and a Rolex Milgauss as he is considering purchasing one of the two. This led me to the Rolex website for a closer perusal of the Milgauss, a watch that I had seen on the forum a number of times, in fact a female friend owned one for a number of years I seem to recall. Anyway, after looking it over on the official website, it confirmed to me that it really is a thing of beauty with some very unique features, not least the green crystal and striking z blue dial.

This closer examination of the watch has probably only served to put it at the top of the Rolex pile for me. If I was buying a Rolex this would probably be the one, it has an almost unquantifiable charm. I would imagine the light play between crystal and dial is something the owner never gets tired of. It's a kind of 'if you know you know' watch. I wonder what others think of it? What do you see as its strong hand? Perhaps it has no appeal to you whatsoever? It'd be interesting to hear thoughts on a watch that is often overlooked for others from its illustrious stable.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:35 pm What do you see as its strong hand?
The seconds hand, definitely.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

I emailed “my” AD and told them to forget it. No longer interested in the Sub. I got the SMP 300m recently as well as about 6 other divers, most of them CWs, so I’m well covered.

I’d like a DJ36 at some point. Something like a 116234 - I prefer the classic 3135 movement to the newer version.