Rolex a discussion

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Rolex a discussion

Post by strapline »

Having been on this forum for some time now, it's hard to escape the presence of watch demigod Rolex. Not a day goes by when a photo of one does not pop up in NCWOTD, sitting resplendent on its owner's wrist. Having looked at a dearth of comments that have cropped up in various threads over the years, it's obvious the brand has its stalwart fans but also its detractors. It is clear they make well made, expensive watches of a very defined type; their design DNA is, how shall I put this, well...very Rolex. In short, there is no mistaking one when you see one.

The purpose of this thread is I'm curious to hear forum member's thoughts on the brand, good bad or indifferent. Much of the reason I like being on this forum is I like to learn, often about brands I will probably never own. For so many people Rolex is the zenith of watchmaking and watch acquisition; others are turned cold by the idea, seeking out other players in the watch market. I don't know if a thread similar to this has ever surfaced before? I'd just love to open a discussion around this watchmaking powerhouse.

Do you see Rolex as a brand that has distilled watchmaking down to near perfection, with models that are almost unimprovable with a timeless elegance and, hence, cachet? Perhaps you feel the contrary, that they are a little old fashioned in their design and just do not speak to you. Perhaps Tudor have stepped out from under the Rolex shadow, particularly with their Black Bay range, and are making sizeable inroads in to what might have been considered Rolex territory? Also, what about waiting lists and the AD experience? Is this something to be celebrated, adding in a positive way to the whole buying experience. Maybe you see it as jumping through hoops and manipulation by the dealerships?

There can be no denying the Rolex phenomenon, and it means so many different things to so many different people. It'd be great to hear some views and experiences from all cardinal points of the compass, whether you are an owner or just someone with a view.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Rolex a discussion

Post by iain »

I’m on the fence with Rolex, I like some of their watches, others less so. But you can’t deny how well known they are to ‘normal’ people.

I’ve had sufficient funds to purchase a Rolex on more than one occasion and each time bought something else. Yes, I know the watches I selected instead won’t hold their value quite the same, but that’s not why I bought them.

I’m comfortable wearing all my watches in most situations, whereas as a Rolex wearer I possibly would feel a little different. It is this image to others that they have which has somewhat cooled my desire to own one.

I still think of Harry Enfield and his loads-a-money character wearing one. Irrational I know, and I know most owners will be down to earth. I can’t help associate the brand with being something someone will chose to buy as a status symbol or mark that they’ve made it in life.

As to your question on where I see Rolex in the world of horological achievement, I would agree that they are a top watch maker, they do what they do but do it exceptionally well. However I’m afraid I struggle to see past the branding they have come to be forever associated with in my mind.

Would I ever become a Rolex owner. I’ll never say never, which going against what I’ve said above probably says a lot about them.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Good question Des. :thumbup:

One for the popcorn :popcorn: I reckon, given the strong opinions on the brand.

I will just stick with stating the obvious - I like many of the watches they produce, covering vintage, more recently discontinued and current.

The point that I don’t like the frothing both for and against the watches and assumptions made about those that choose to own them is a different matter. :thumbdown:

I reckon that this thread makes an interesting read. :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53288

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I bought my my GMT and my Sub No date before their RRP spiralled and availability become only for the chosen few. Both watches are beautiful and an absolutely delight to wear. Would I have bought the same two watches today, the answer would be no. I just could not justify the price.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
MiniMpi
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

I think they are very good watches, as good as any you can buy, and I have owned an OP in the past. Styling is subjective, but value is not. At current prices and waiting lists, they are categorically not good value for money imo. Their retained value does not take into account the now common practice of buying one or several other basically unwanted watches just to obtain the Rolex of your choice. Even the current list prices don't represent good value; is a Rolex demonstrably a better watch than a coaxial equipped Omega, for example? Anyone buying a Rolex because they consider them to be rare or exclusive and reasoning that justifies high prices hasn't paid attention to huge numbers of watches Rolex produce annually.
Of course, none of this matters, Rolex is the brand to own amongst rich brand aware consumers who know of no other watch brands. Its hard to imagine any other mass produced product being able to command such elevated prices and demand over it's competitors across the range. BMW for the price of a Ferrari anyone ? I couldn't now honestly buy one and look at it and not feel like I'd been had one over on just a little bit....
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Very interesting…and perhaps daring?…topic to start. My thoughts and opinions on Rolex would have to be broken down into three areas: Rolex, the watch; Rolex, the brand; and Rolex, the COST! Any overall impression of Rolex is, for me at least, a balance of these three.

Rolex the Watch
I think there’s no disputing Rolex makes an excellent watch. They’ve come up with some of the most iconic designs in the history of wrist watches. They pioneered some significant innovations. The fact that they make everything in-house is also quite impressive. There is no disputing Rolex makes an outstanding watch, and anyone who disputes that is crazy.

Rolex the Brand
This is where things get tricky, because the brand identity has transcended watches. It’s recognized as an excellent watch brand, for good reason. But it’s also a luxury brand, a lifestyle brand, and a status symbol. Those follow-on identities are one of the things that turn me off. While I might aspire to an icon in watch brand, I don’t aspire to luxury or status brands. Rolex is all three, and different people will see a Rolex and make different connections.

Rolex the COST
Ultimately, this is what removes Rolex from my consideration. I’ll never be able to spend that kind of money on a watch and don’t know that I’d want to. The whole AD wait list thing and grey market is just ridiculous, if you ask me.I don’t know that I’d want to play that game.

At the end of the day, I’m a Rolex fan. In a perfect world, I’d love to own a few. I’ll never pursue ownership though. When I see forum members post pics of their Rolex’s, I’m happy for them and a bit envious.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

nbg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:59 pm Good question Des. :thumbup:
Neil
I know there's a lot of Rolex opinion out there Neil, it'd be good to gauge some thoughts. I'm also hopeful that I might learn something from a Rolex aficionado. I have my views of the brand which I'll be happy to tell, a little later perhaps, if this thread gains any traction. Above all things should be kept clean and respectful; I expect nothing less from this forum.

Des :D
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I happen to think that Rolex are not a stand out luxury brand, but have managed to position themselves in to such a position by marketing. I am trying to think what they would be as a car. Probably Mercedes, BMW or Porsche. Not the best, but very desired. I don't see Rolex as the Ferrari of watches.

If it wasn't for insane second hand values most people would walk on by.

I see Rolex as the Damien Hirst or Banksy of the art world.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm Very interesting…and perhaps daring?…topic to start. My thoughts and opinions on Rolex would have to be broken down into three areas: Rolex, the watch; Rolex, the brand; and Rolex, the COST! Any overall impression of Rolex is, for me at least, a balance of these three.
I can't see why this topic should be daring!? It's a discussion on a watch forum about one of the watch industries most influential players. And, for the record, I really enjoyed reading your reply, it's not too far away from my own point of view. There are many Rolex owners on this forum and, unlike me, they speak from a position of experience. They may have something quite unique to add to the mix. There are even people that have made recent Rolex purchases after being on lengthy waiting lists; I wonder if getting their watch has met and even exceeded their expectations?

Des
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Good watches, just let down by the faff you need to endure to get some models.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm Very interesting…and perhaps daring?…topic to start. My thoughts and opinions on Rolex would have to be broken down into three areas: Rolex, the watch; Rolex, the brand; and Rolex, the COST! Any overall impression of Rolex is, for me at least, a balance of these three.

Rolex the Watch
I think there’s no disputing Rolex makes an excellent watch. They’ve come up with some of the most iconic designs in the history of wrist watches. They pioneered some significant innovations. The fact that they make everything in-house is also quite impressive. There is no disputing Rolex makes an outstanding watch, and anyone who disputes that is crazy.

Rolex the Brand
This is where things get tricky, because the brand identity has transcended watches. It’s recognized as an excellent watch brand, for good reason. But it’s also a luxury brand, a lifestyle brand, and a status symbol. Those follow-on identities are one of the things that turn me off. While I might aspire to an icon in watch brand, I don’t aspire to luxury or status brands. Rolex is all three, and different people will see a Rolex and make different connections.

Rolex the COST
Ultimately, this is what removes Rolex from my consideration. I’ll never be able to spend that kind of money on a watch and don’t know that I’d want to. The whole AD wait list thing and grey market is just ridiculous, if you ask me.I don’t know that I’d want to play that game.

At the end of the day, I’m a Rolex fan. In a perfect world, I’d love to own a few. I’ll never pursue ownership though. When I see forum members post pics of their Rolex’s, I’m happy for them and a bit envious.
A very balanced view Andrew. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Rolex a discussion

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve owned a couple (a 2 line no-date Sub and a Z-Blue Milgauss), but after a while they became just watches (albeit very good watches), and to be honest I didn’t find them all that enticing after a while, particularly the Milgauss. I ended up selling them and have not had any irresistible desire to own one again.

Ok, I’d probably still own the sub if it was possible to get a decent bracelet for it. The old Rolex bracelets were… not my cup of tea, but the watch itself was very nice. My main complaint with it was that every Tom, Dick and Harry were making a clone, sorry, homage of it, so it became a bit less than special and a bit more everyday.

The other thing is that I hate bl**dy cyclops lenses with a passion and that limits it to relatively few Rolex models that could potentially appear on my “want to buy” list. Yes I could get the cyclops removed, but it’s just too much faffing around… Note,the two I owned were not fitted with a cyclops as standard…

As to the whole “dealer looking down their nose at you because you haven’t bought 17 of their otherwise hard to shift solid gold or platinum models just to get on a waiting list for a steel Rolex” thing - nah, go and screw someone else over, not for me….
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I took The Rolex Journey some time ago:
https://www.christopherwardforum.c ... y#p384391

This thread was me starting to learn about Rolex, and the thread brought out a lot of great thoughts and links for me to explore. The history of Rolex, and the vast scale of innovation they have undertaken is incredible to me.

I would be proud to wear a 36mm explorer, had I bought one a few years ago, knowing the history and excellence of the watch.

Would I buy a Rolex now? No. I don’t know enough of the industry to know where the balance of culpability lies between Rolex ‘not building enough watches’, and the ADs, but what happens when you enter an AD looking for a ‘scarce’ model nowadays is just extortion as far as I’m concerned.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

I spent many years believing I was supposed to want a Rolex...

The idea of a Submariner appealed to the Bond fan in me. The perceived achievement of just being able to afford a Daytona appealed to a competitive side fuelled by a career in sales surrounded by successful colleagues sporting expensive wrist-wear. And the Hulk just screamed "look how different I am" so for a long time was at the top of my likely never to be realised wish list.

Then I actually started trying different models on and was disappointed with every single one of them.

Put simply, they are all so small!

I was so distraught at how tiny a Submariner is that I convinced myself the Sea-Dweller was the answer. Still too small. The same with the Deepsea. And then I realised actually I didn't want one as much as I thought I did, and probably never did.

Credit has to go to Rolex for the incredible way they have made so many, like me, desire their watches. You cannot ever take that from them.

I know tastes are changing and 38mm - 40mm is the way most are going, and I'm good with that. I'm sticking with 42mm - 44mm from "inferior" brands like Bremont/Longines/Omega/Oris/TAG Heuer and loving every one of them :D
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

deleted.
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)