Rolex a discussion

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Rolex a discussion

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:55 pm That is the longest sentence I’ve ever seen.

(mumbled from personal library sofa as I sip fine whiskey)
You clearly haven’t read Gibbon, Joyce or Proust.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Fine whiskey?

Not sure that I have tasted any.

Mrs nbg (a Scot) tells me that fine whisky is far more likely than fine whiskey. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ You haven’t lived!

I’ve had some very fine Irish and American whiskeys.

Nothing to compare with Islay, of course.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tally »

I think I got lucky with my Explorer given the last couple of years.

I obtained from an AD and a few hundred under RRP at the time too, I would never part with it as despite now being discontinued and seeing the prices have gone up on pre owned
It is one of my grails and the journey getting to it is a part of me as much as the watch itself.

I would love to have a no date sub or white dialled Daytona as a companion piece to it but there is no way I would or could pay the prices they are going for now.
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I’m confused witch whay is it spelt??...checked on google and spelt both ways....that’s why I drink whine I can spel that :lol:
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

kiter65 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 pm I’m confused witch whay is it spelt??...checked on google and spelt both ways....that’s why I drink whine I can spel that :lol:
With an e = anywhere but Scotland (where they make the proper stuff) :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Scotch whisky.
Everywhere else whiskey.
Although the Scots may disagree, there are indeed some fine whiskey's to be had. My preference is for Scotland and Ireland, but there are indeed fine drams to be found from many countries. It is certainly about preference of flavour profile. I'm not a big fan of corn based whiskey, so I don't drink a lot of bourbon, except in mixed drinks. That doesn't mean there aren't some damn fine bourbon's to be had.
Not entirely unlike watches.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Good grief. I was just going to say bourbon because whiskey actually sucks, and I’m still shot down.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

With an e = anywhere but Scotland
While its always "whisky" from Scotland. many other countries spell it without the "e", it's only really in Ireland (North & South) and the U.S. where you can confidently expect the spelling to be 'whiskey'.

Uisge = water
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Some real good whisky coming out of Japan as well.

I'm Scottish and I don't really care how folk spell it, no matter where it's from. I'll only be offended if you destroy it with ice or a mixer. Unless it's a bourbon, you can do what you like to that.

A wee drop of water and warm it in your hand. In your finest crystal of course, whilst wearing your Rolex.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Manx Whisky from the Isle of Man is worth looking out for. The founders described themselves as ‘elbow grease and craft whisky’. No pretentiousness just a glug of their finest distilled from local barley and tap water. The first bottled will be available from Christmas 2023 at the earliest. Something different to look forward to.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

strapline wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:26 pm I like my watch to tell the time and perhaps have a little back story that might set it apart from the mainstream fayre. When you wear a Rolex, like it or not, your wrist is making an announcement to an awful lot of people. People that don't know you from Adam...only now they feel entitled to have an opinion of you, based solely on the watch you sport.
Well what about when you wear an expensive brand, that probably sells between 50-60% of the numbers sold by Rolex per annum. What does that say about the owner?

What about if you wear a watch that sells about 4m watches per year?

Does anyone really notice any of them?

In my view someone’s wrist is only making an announcement about their choice of wrist wear, if they announce it. If I walked past you in the street you wouldn’t have the slightest clue what watch I was wearing. How would you?

I once did a controlled experiment about watch identification and the how likely someone was to notice. When I have more time I will post detail (I am getting looks from Mrs nbg, indicating I need to put my iPad down. :))

Neil
TZ-UK
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I really don’t care what some people may think of me, I’m past caring. I’ve no doubt there are a few folk think me a ‘jerk’ with or without a Rolex on my wrist.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

I visited a shop on Saturday. It is an authorised dealership for a number of well known brands, including the one in the title of this thread.

IIRC it was only my 4th or 5th visit in the past 6 or 7 years. The last time being in 2017.

I asked to try on a few Omegas and couldn’t help but notice that there seemed to be no more than a dozen Rolex (various DateJusts) in the window and internal display.

Whilst being shown the watches by the store manager, we chatted generally about watches and she asked about the brands that I liked. I recognised her from previous visits, and mentioned that I bought a Pelagos from them back in 2014.

I also recalled how at the time of that visit they had a full set of all the SS Professional models that everyone now chases after, but I didn’t buy one, as I was still trying to decide which of the models that I most wanted to buy, to go alongside the older discontinued ones I already had. I did though buy the Submariner that they had forgotten to put out on display in 2017.

I was wearing a 40mm Polar Explorer 2 and mentioned how I liked the point that the Explorer was once again being produced in a 36mm case, rather than a 39mm.

Having mentioned Rolex I was asked if I wanted to try one on. Yes please. Oh I like that (I didn’t notice that in either the window or internal display :)). Thought if I buy that and “don’t bond” I could flip it to WF or the like (NOT a serious thought!).

Second thought - best to do what I always have done and just buy watches I like and wear them. :)

Left the store without buying or asking if I could go on a list or express interest, or whatever they call it for hot watches A, B, C, D, E etc, just get me a hot watch, yes I really really like them all, anyone will do…. [well it seems that’s what most say! :lol:]

When back at the house followed up with an email to the store manager to thank her for her time, confirming I would ponder a while on one of the Omegas. In passing I mentioned about an SS Rolex that I particularly liked. A pleasant exchange of emails followed. I will post a pic when it arrives.

Neil

PS: I am pleased that I have managed to type the above, without lapsing into such toe curling turns of phrase as “my AD”, “allocation piece” or “building a relationship”. :silent:

Showed Mrs nbg a pic of the favoured watches I had tried on and one that I hadn’t, explained that there was a new store manager. She indicated it was ok to buy whatever it was, but wasn’t keen on me building a relationship, as we have been happily married for absolutely ages! :lol:
TZ-UK
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Looking forward to the pic’s Neil, 126610LV??? :thumbup: