A place to discuss other watch-brands
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Rolex a discussion

Post by Bounce »

magicman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:07 am
Regarding the previous mention of Bremont, CW and Omega.

Bremont-I like them but they don't do a no date diver/tool watch. Like Rolex do, but if/when they do, it's a brand i would consider.

CW-I think they're great value for money, I own 2 currently, but I wish they would do the C60 trident with no date. Like the Submariner
With the logo #* 12 O'@#&ck.

Omega- I just bought one, no date diver, not limited but special edition, went in for an update on a Rolex, and walked out with the Omega, will it scratch the itch and replace my want and need, only time will tell.

Regards Steve
Have you considered a Black Bay Diver at all? Most of them are no date tool watches.
That is half the reason I sold my Submariner, I bought a BB Pepsi GMT when they were released in May 2018 & I wore it so much that my Sub never got a look in.
I then bought my Bremont S500 & that was it, the Sub had to go, I had completely fallen out of love with it.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

magicman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:07 am It's the people who buy at the ridiculous prices at blame too.
Of course it is, Steve, but if desire is stronger than conscience (probably not a great word in this context) and the price tag doesn’t matter too much, that isn’t going to change.

I walked past a smallish independent jewellers in Norwich the other day and they had three SS sport Rolexes in the window (I just looked on their website).

A 1999 16610 Sub date, £9850

A 2018 GMT Master II Batman, 116710BLNR, £14,750

A 2010 16610LV Kermit Sub date, £16,000

Would I pay that much for a watch? The answer is probably no. But if I did, I don’t think it would be any of those. Vacheron or Piaget would be more likely.

Then I think of all the great trips I could do in the next couple of years with that money. I’ll stick.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Bounce wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am
Regarding the previous mention of Bremont, CW and Omega.

Bremont-I like them but they don't do a no date diver/tool watch. Like Rolex do, but if/when they do, it's a brand i would consider.

CW-I think they're great value for money, I own 2 currently, but I wish they would do the C60 trident with no date. Like the Submariner
With the logo #* 12 O'@#&ck.

Omega- I just bought one, no date diver, not limited but special edition, went in for an update on a Rolex, and walked out with the Omega, will it scratch the itch and replace my want and need, only time will tell.

Regards Steve
Have you considered a Black Bay Diver at all? Most of them are no date tool watches.
That is half the reason I sold my Submariner, I bought a BB Pepsi GMT when they were released in May 2018 & I wore it so much that my Sub never got a look in.
I then bought my Bremont S500 & that was it, the Sub had to go, I had completely fallen out of love with it.
Hi Mr B

I've got the Blue BB58, I like it a lot, and I thought it would be my last purchase, but no, I think it even made my thoughts of Rolex ownership stronger, as I imagine a brilliant version of an already brilliant watch.

Now I've got the Omega SMP. The Tudor has been relegated to the watch winder.
As I'm currently in the big chunky loving phase.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ not forgetting that for some it’s loose change.

I remember at SalonQP witnessing a guy casually buying a watch priced at £250K.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

Richard D wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 am ^^^^ not forgetting that for some it’s loose change.

Indeed, Richard. One of my qualifiers was that the price tag doesn’t matter too much.
So many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:47 am
Richard D wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 am ^^^^ not forgetting that for some it’s loose change.

Indeed, Richard. One of my qualifiers was that the price tag doesn’t matter too much.
So many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones
Absolutely, now this is where I have to be careful and not stray into what might be perceived as politics. Are luxury watches a symbol of social division?
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^I suppose they can be, buy they could also be a symbol of addiction, obsession, lust, hard work, sacrifice, entitlement, luck etc.
I often think the same about cars.
Just between my 4 golfing Buddies, we have 4 very different stories regarding our so called luxury watches, but unless you speak to us, how would you ever know.

I misjudged a family member recently who was wearing a Rolex Hulk.
I wrongly presumed it was a fake, just because I only ever see him in a tatty black tracksuit and trainers. Which could be Ciro Citterio or Alexander McQueen for all I know.

I will get his story at some point, so looking forward to finding out why he made that choice.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

Hi Mr B

I've got the Blue BB58, I like it a lot, and I thought it would be my last purchase, but no, I think it even made my thoughts of Rolex ownership stronger, as I imagine a brilliant version of an already brilliant watch.

Regards Steve
Now this where you have to be very careful, the difference between the BB58, SMP & the Submariner is very small.
The only thing I thought was better on the Sub was the Glidelock clasp, an excellent piece of engineering.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Why do so many people talk about Rolex restricting supply? Where is the evidence of that?
Could it not be possible that they have continued to make the same very large numbers of watches every year but it is the demand that has increased and not the output from rolex that has been deliberately strangled?
Cheers now, Paul
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

stefs wrote:Why do so many people talk about Rolex restricting supply? Where is the evidence of that?
Could it not be possible that they have continued to make the same very large numbers of watches every year but it is the demand that has increased and not the output from rolex that has been deliberately strangled?
Rolex is an automated robotic assembly line. There should be no variation unless it’s done intentionally by the few humans involved in their production.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:14 pm
stefs wrote:Why do so many people talk about Rolex restricting supply? Where is the evidence of that?
Rolex is an automated robotic assembly line. There should be no variation unless it’s done intentionally by the few humans involved in their production.
Estimates of 800,000 to 1 million watches per year led by demand I would say qualifies as mass production. What is certain, Rolex has really succeeded in its quality control.
Richard

Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Rolex is a customer of the company I work for and I’ve seen many invoices of their shipments to various ADs. I can say with confidence it’s not a supply issue from Rolex’ side. The ADs are controlling everything. They have the watches. They just don’t sell them to schmucks like us. On a couple of shipments, certain ADs got 10 white ceramic Daytonas. In one shipment. Yet the waiting list is what… 10 years? It’s ridiculous.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just talking about the Rolex prices above, and comparing watch prices with cars....

I think many of us could choose to spend, say £15000 or even £25000 on a single Rolex. That sum might be loose change to a few, but I mean this as a viable option for many of us. £5k a year for five years could well be manageable. We buy houses worth several hundred thousand, so it's possible to buy expensive assets.

Compare this with buying a supercar, where we know it's absolutely not a possibility. Insuring and maintaining a Ferrari is just not manageable, never mind buying one.

But paying Rolex level prices for a watch is just too big a step for some of us. Grey prices are definitely too much, but even the list prices for some Rolexes, or other expensive watches is just more than we want to spend on a watch.

It's just easier to spend less than a thousand on a high quality CW watch, and wear it for 10 years. Even if it's worthless at 10 years old, which it isn't, that CW watch has only cost us £2 a week. Now that's loose change.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

stefs wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:00 pm Why do so many people talk about Rolex restricting supply? Where is the evidence of that?
Indeed Paul, but some folk would prefer to think nasty Rolex are reducing numbers of the models, that a few years ago were only generally of interest to a small proportion of their customer base.

More people deciding they want one, because they have noticed they won’t take a bath when selling, has gathered momentum over the past six years, reaching the current state over the last couple of years. Combine that with the Instagram and social media impact and it’s not difficult to understand.

People who have joined in purely to sell rather quickly, have increased. Grey dealers end up having to pay more, therefore they charge more and continue to test the boundaries of the market.

Rolex aren’t the only brand that has had an impact on.

Five years ago it was possible to find a PP Aquanaut in an AD window. Preowned prices were generally less than RRP. Now it is rather different.

Can’t get a Nautilus? Well get an AP Royal Oak. Again available in ADs. More decide they would like one, same story. Join a wait list, would sir like to buy a different AP as a start to their AP watch owners journey.

Ok can’t get an SS PP or AP RO. Let’s try that lovely VC overseas. Easily available, what colour dial would you like to try on? Excellent, I like that (off now to buy one from a grey dealer at a discount). Again no longer the case. The situation with VC happening in the past 12 months or so. For AP about 18 months before.

Have these other brands deliberately cut supply. No, it is rather simpler than that, more have decided they would like one.

Most rational people would shake their head in bemusement at the outpourings of people on watch forums, who can’t have what they want. Madness! :lol:

Particularly in the real world the average amount spent on a watch is less than about £200.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ An excellent summary, Neil.

I’m really rather glad that I’m fundamentally happy with what I’ve got.
Steve