“Robust Elegance” - is this just another way to say GODO?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

“Robust Elegance” - is this just another way to say GODO?

Post by jkbarnes »

I came across this article on Time & Tide about watches that have a robust elegance to them. The author defines robust elegance as a watch that “offers the characteristics of a sportier timepiece in a way that can also translate to more formal settings.”

What do you think of his selections? What would you add? Do you think the C63 Sealander series fits the bill of robust elegance? I think they do.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: “Robust Elegance” - is this just another way to say GODO?

Post by missF »

I find that a lot of watch advertising blurb is meaningless, and often sells you a combination of pretty opposite sounding qualities, as if they’re just trying to cover all bases and tell you that their watch is everything you want it to be. Robust and elegant are pretty opposite terms in my mind. The combination doesn’t do anything to describe the actual watch. Contemporary and timeless. Sporty and formal. Unhelpful words used in an unhelpful way..,
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Five very nice watches. You don’t get much change out of $6000 for even the cheapest of them. And five of them are the usual suspects. The Bulgari is the nicest of the lot in my opinion (notwithstanding that it’s the most expensive) and is definitely one I would love to wear. Sporty, it ain’t. No, for that matter, is the DJ in my opinion. Or the GS.

I think if he did this again, or somebody else did, with a budget to medium price range, then the C63 would certainly be worth a place.

But I very much agree with Lindsey. It’s just a form of words.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ I’m going to disagree with you two, Steve and Lindsey. Each of those pairs of terms aren’t mutually exclusive IMO. Yes they’re marketing terms, but that doesn’t make them untrue.

I think of the new Speedmaster Professional line when I think contemporary and timeless. Truly a timeless design, and the minor detail updates make it look current and fresh.

Robustness doesn’t negate elegance. I like the lines and curves on a submariner, they are elegant to my eyes. But it is still a robust watch.

And many watches can look just as good peeking out of tux sleeves or strapped over a wetsuit.

I personally don’t think the C63 collection screams robustness to me. More sporty elegance IMO. But either I would say can fit into the GODO category.

End ramble.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I would mostly agree with the article but with the possible exception of the Bulgari with a DJ, I would not wear any of them with formal wear. The C63 is very much of the genre but is not in the same class as these - nor the budget!

For black tie the watch would be discrete, slim, gold with matching cufflinks and for morning dress or white tie ideally a pocket watch.

With apology, a diver is for diving and casual afterwards, but Rolex pricing these days rules them out unless one can risk money to burn.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I think this sort of fits the this description for me, though I also agree its marketing speak and adds little value.
20210729_185205.jpg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Soporsche wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:54 pm I think this sort of fits the this description for me, though I also agree its marketing speak and adds little value.
20210729_185205.jpg

Case closed.
Mic dropped
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Marketing spin! :D

Picture the scene:

- a visit to the gym before work, without working up a sweat.
- at your desk by 7:30am. Catch up on developments overnight.
- back to back meetings, until 6:30pm, avoiding making any decisions.
- shower and change at work, before heading out for dinner with an important client.

For such demanding activities only a robust and elegant watch is up to the task…

Meanwhile in my analysis of “robust and elegant” -

I would happily wear 4 of the 5 for robust things - gardening, hiking, swimming, cooking, liquid lunches. But none of them would make the cut as something genuinely elegant.

They are normal do anything watches, but that doesn’t make them elegant.

However I wouldn’t wear my favourite of the five for most of the above, as despite its thin profile, the angular case and pin sharp finishing would be prone to getting bashed and refinishing would be difficult. Bulgari for the win.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Considering the sealander is an AT rip off, I really can't understand why it's been thrown into the ring.
Out of the list provided in the article, the Omega ticks all the boxes.
The Bulgari is my choice just due to it not being the usual suspects in these dull comparison articles.
The snowflake has been dismissed straight away even though I suspect no one has any experience of it.
In my opinion it's more versatile than most give it credit for

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I find the responses intriguing. Of course robust and elegance are marketing terms. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have validity as descriptors outside of marketing. In the marketing sense, CW’s “Go Anywhere, Do Anything” is just as much marketing hogwash.

I took the meaning of the article as describing watches that are strong and robust enough for physical activity with enough refinement or elegance to be worn in a work or social setting. While in terms of cost, the Sealander doesn’t compare with this list, in terms of utility it’s aiming at the same target.

I suppose in an increasingly casual world where personal preferences trump expected social norms, ANY watch can be defined as having robust elegance or being a GODO watch if that’s how one chooses to wear it.

My biggest beef with the article is that brand perception is perhaps being conflated with elegance. There’s nothing particularly elegant about an Omega AT’s design other than it being a high end Omega. Same goes for something like a Rolex Explorer or Submariner. I’d describe neither as elegant. If they’ve been elevated to board room and jacket & tie appropriateness, I’d argue it’s because of cost and brand recognition. And for the record, I love both the Explorer and the Submariner. If I had one, I’d wear it everywhere!
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Robust elegance you say? That’s easy - the polished ALT1-C blows all those out the water!

Currently on GGB strap from garden work etc… this afternoon so excuse the grubby marks - it needs a wash!

17A7DF34-CB46-4756-83A4-05EA36054873.jpeg

On alligator, which would be at home in any formal occasion, in my opinion

033C1EF3-A1C3-4B87-B002-052AD116B71D.jpeg
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ You're bang on there Chris. :clap: :clap:

Overall, I advocate none of the selection are particularly 'robust'. If anything they are all too posh.

Elegant? Well? Elegant watches don't fit in my usual criteria for watches so I'm not in the best position to judge. :-k :-k

I'll leave it there.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 pm ^^^^ You're bang on there Chris. :clap: :clap:

Overall, I advocate none of the selection are particularly 'robust'. If anything they are all too posh.

Elegant? Well? Elegant watches don't fit in my usual criteria for watches so I'm not in the best position to judge. :-k :-k

I'll leave it there.

Guy
Cheers Guy :thumbup:

Oh, and you do have elegant in your collection, in my opinion - the R1969 I’d class as elegant. I presume you still have it?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:34 pm Cheers Guy :thumbup:

Oh, and you do have elegant in your collection, in my opinion - the R1969 I’d class as elegant. I presume you still have it?
OK, I'll accept my R1969 is elegant and yes, definitely still got it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I will just leave this here, for those that are struggling with the concept of elegant! :)

One of these two images is, the other most certainly isn’t…
C386448D-B8A3-42E2-AE8A-243A15133A76.jpeg
91881381-B6DB-45F5-8D32-68CC25E25012.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK