Coolest watch of 2021 - Zero West H1-P3708

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Coolest watch of 2021 - Zero West H1-P3708

Post by strapline »

Watched this 45min watch review by the Timeless Watch Channel earlier today. Only the last ten mins or so is about the watch, everything prior is about the battle of Britain; the Spitfire and Hurricane fighter planes and the role played by our fearless airforce. This is not solely, or even just, a watch review; it's a piece of masterful production. I had a lump in my throat watching it. I urge you to crack open a cold one and sit down for its duration; I fail to see that you won't be smitten as I was. It's a fantastic timepiece, too.

Des

Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube URLs corrected
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Coolest watch of 2021 - Zero West H1-P3708

Post by Dickchins »

Absolutely epic :clap: :clap: :clap:

Still going to be a few weeks until I can get my hands on my next Zero West, but ive already spoke to Andy about these. Soooooo different and literally a piece of history.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

I meant to add, when I was last down at ZW, they had the initial one in their case drawer. I was sworn to secrecy by both of them as they hadnt even announced they had a new offering coming!

The dial is obviously totally different to almost everything you see "mainstream" and it may not be for everyone, but when you actually see it in person and see how the dial works with the case size, shape, and perfect finish, it absolutely works. Its stunning.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I really enjoyed watching this. The story itself is interesting both historically & with the connection to a watch brand I support. He (Oisin) produced a similarly detailed episode about the ZW S4 late last year.

ZeroWest is one of the most exciting British watch brands at this time, with industrial (they call it “engineered”) designs that stand out from the crowd, a high quality build & impeccable attention to detail. “Reviews” like this can’t be hurting their sales, and they deserve it.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

If only they weren't so bulky.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Not really on the H1 subject, but for those of us who love ZW, and maybe considering a purchase....... hurry up if you want an S4...!!!

20210729_130403.jpg
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

WOW that H1 is one cool watch 8)
I found the video extremely moving and very sobering.

I'm happy enough with my S1 :wink:
ZERO WEST S1 05.JPG
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

The video was very moving and I could easily forgive the half truths that were expounded. From Paisley, I have visited Alexander Girdwood's grave on a number of occasions and I was once given a severe telling off from his sister for mentioning him at a Remembrance Service in the late 80's as I didn't consult the family first. The grief at losing her wee brother was still so raw.
Alexander Girdwood scored a number of victories before his death. His squadron - 257 - had been badly mauled and the famous Robert Stanford Tuck took command to restore morale and effectiveness. In his book (Fly For Your Life) he made it clear that he didn't think much of the sqn. However he also made it clear that he had the utmost respect for certain individuals and Alexander Girdwood was one of them. He was made Tuck's wingman and it was in that position that Girdwood was killed in Oct. As stated in the video the airfield came under attack from ME109s but they were attacked during the 'scramble'. Alexander Girdwood got airborne alongside Tuck when a bomb went off beneath him. The blast threw his Hurricane on its back and Tuck describes watching the pilot wrestle with the controls as the aircraft barrel rolled over his cockpit before hitting the ground. Alexander Girdwood was killed and buried in Hawkead Cemetery Paisley in the family plot. Girdwood is specifically mentioned by Tuck on the last page of his book when he lists a number of colleagues he specifically remembered.
To briefly mention the watch, I am afraid the video makes too much of the 'turn and bank, or sideslip indicator'. Yes it informed the pilot if he as sliding across the sky but in the heat of combat the pilot was concentrating elsewhere. But that said, Robert Tuck one of the RAF's greatest marksmen, claimed he always glanced at the instrument before opening fire. He knew his bullets would not be going in the right direction if he was sliding the aircraft at the point of firing.
I joined the RAF in the late 80's and before doing so studied the Battle of Britain. Every Remembrance Sunday and Battle of Britain Sunday I remember Alexander Girdwood.
Gordon