IWC service

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

IWC service

Post by iain »

I have today received my IWC MKXVIII back from service with IWC. The cost was £475 and the turnaround about 6 weeks so not unreasonable for a brand of this nature.

What isn’t acceptable though is all these scratches that have mysteriously found their way into the Crystal. So back it goes.

Not the best photo but you can clearly see them. You can see the ones next to the date window, the one above the number 4 and the one running at 45 degrees down from the date window. And those are the ones on this part of the dial, there are others as well I can’t seem to photograph.

779DDB8E-B43A-4495-A9A7-8DA2633F56B1.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: IWC service

Post by missF »

:thumbdown:
No good. Give them an earful....
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Worth checking the serial numbers, it may be a different watch.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

what-time-is-it wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:31 pm Worth checking the serial numbers, it may be a different watch.
Already checked that as it was my first thought seeing how bad the marks actually are. It is my watch, or at least my caseback……
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

That's appalling.......truly.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I take it it's sapphire?
What would you have to do to scratch a sapphire like that?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 pm I take it it's sapphire?
It is sapphire but it has a very good anti reflective coating, which in 5 years I’d only managed to add a couple of hardly noticeable marks.

These seem to be the coating rather then the actual crystal. The mark above the number 4 has gone right through whereas the others aren’t that deep and it’s more that they catch the light quite obviously as you move the watch.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

The watch is now back with the AD who are arranging to have this sent back to IWC for attention. I have been promised a priority turnaround so hopefully it will be back soon all repaired. Fingers crossed.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Well it’s good and bad news with this so far. Richemont have stated those marks were there when they received the watch and the reason I see them now, and not before, is because they’ve cleaned the glass. B@##*§Ks!!.

However the good news is that the AD has asked them to change the Crystal at their expense. Frustrating that they have to take this stance but at least I should be getting it back repaired at no cost to me,
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

AD - 15
Richemont - Love

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

iain wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm
JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 pm I take it it's sapphire?
It is sapphire but it has a very good anti reflective coating, which in 5 years I’d only managed to add a couple of hardly noticeable marks.

These seem to be the coating rather then the actual crystal. The mark above the number 4 has gone right through whereas the others aren’t that deep and it’s more that they catch the light quite obviously as you move the watch.
Hi Ian

Sorry to bubble this back up, but I have a similar issue with my new IWC. Except in my case I scratched the AR coating! I'm just curious if you have found the coating scratches more easily on the replacement crystal? Mine has a 4mm scratch which I did without noticing (ie I didn't smash my hand against a brick wall!). I'm planning on taking it to IWC boutique for a moan next week as imo the coating should be sturdier!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I haven’t had a problem with the original coating. I’ve had the watch for about 5 years and had a couple of slight marks which were only visible in the right light. The watch came back from service quite badly scratched and is still away having a new crystal fitted, so I can’t comment yet on how the new one holds up. I am expecting it back next week so planned to update this thread when it arrived.

Now you’ve made these comments, I will be keeping a close eye on it for a while to see if it marks easier. I’m not sure why it would, I can’t see IWC changing how they apply the coating but you never know.
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

iain wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 pm I haven’t had a problem with the original coating. I’ve had the watch for about 5 years and had a couple of slight marks which were only visible in the right light. The watch came back from service quite badly scratched and is still away having a new crystal fitted, so I can’t comment yet on how the new one holds up. I am expecting it back next week so planned to update this thread when it arrived.

Now you’ve made these comments, I will be keeping a close eye on it for a while to see if it marks easier. I’m not sure why it would, I can’t see IWC changing how they apply the coating but you never know.
Here is my theory, which might be absolute tosh but nevertheless...

Applying more AR coating creates a really awesome "invisible dial" effect. In the showroom the watches look incredible. This has, I think, also become another point of differentiation for these watches to justify the cost. However, the more they apply the easier it is to scratch. Its a bit like those fancy matt car paint jobs you can get for fancy cars, the look great but poor durability.

Just a theory, as I'm not really sure the "more AR makes it's easier to scratch" argument is true, particularly if you look up how AR works (which is pretty cool).

Anyways, I shall let you know what they say in the boutique.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I can now report all is well and the watch is back in my possession fully repaired, however it’s not all good news.
Richemont service centre claimed the only reason I could see the scratches now was because they had cleaned the watch! Utter rubbish. However Berry’s jewellers asked them to replace the crystal at their expense which was very much appreciated. It’s a shame they had to step in though and Richemont wouldn’t own up to the issue. It also took 6 weeks to turnaround which was as long as the service took in the first place. But all’s well that ends well.

F00D888F-BA26-4D48-8B83-BEA40DE4F782.jpeg
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Good to hear, that watch is well worth fighting over though, very nice.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)