A place to discuss other watch-brands
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Pressure Testing

Post by magicman »

Hello there.

I've just enquired at a local watch service center, and to pressure test my Octon dive watch will be around £35.

Is that a decent price ? and do you get yours done regularly ?

Just done 5 mins research, and it seems if you get your watch wet. It's recommended that you get it tested anually.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Pressure Testing

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

magicman wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:18 pm Just done 5 mins research, and it seems if you get your watch wet. It's recommended that you get it tested anually.
I’ve read that too, Steve, though I suspect it might be honoured more in the breach than in the observance by most of us. I have had my Meistersinger about 14 months and if I take it on holiday in September I’ll probably just make sure the crown is screwed in properly and trust it. Actually, I almost always take watches off when swimming these days.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

That sounds expensive, the last time I had one done cost €10 at the local watchmaker, only a 10bar test though more than enough for most purposes.

Just a thought: if you plan on testing regularly you can buy cheapo wet pressure testers (the sort that pressurise the watch case so that you can immerse it and see if bubbles escape) on ebay for something like £100 - though you'd have to factor in import charges as they probably ship out of China. At £35 a pop, I'd be tempted to go the DIY route.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^ Thanks, I've got another repairer to visit tomorrow, so I'll get a price from him.

I've never been asked if I required this testing, whenever I've had a battery change, so if it is a cheap service, I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer it. After all, they are checking their own work is done correctly.

I'm not sure I'll be removing, any more casebacks, had a problem getting a press fit one back on my wife's Tissot.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Might give this a go. Seems simple enough.

https://youtu.be/qBZbLdotrG0

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
suicidal_orange
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:06 pm Might give this a go. Seems simple enough.

https://youtu.be/qBZbLdotrG0

Regards Steve
Isn’t that a handy little DIY tip! Thanks for sharing.
Drew
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^I've got something arriving shortly from Amazon to regas my Air conditioning, so I may have valves and a gauge from that kit, that will be usable, for this.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

magicman wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:57 pm ^^^ Thanks, I've got another repairer to visit tomorrow, so I'll get a price from him.

I've never been asked if I required this testing, whenever I've had a battery change, so if it is a cheap service, I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer it. After all, they are checking their own work is done correctly.

I'm not sure I'll be removing, any more casebacks, had a problem getting a press fit one back on my wife's Tissot.

Regards Steve
I suppose it might be because of the potential cost of a catastrophic failure. There's also the cost of removing the movement to test the empty case if you are doing wet tests (offhand I'm not sure how the crown gaskets seal without a watch inside, but maybe the crown will seal without it being attached to a movement)

Anyway, here's an interesting look and learn review of what's involved by Marc at Long Island Watches, that I found. Worth watching although it's not a short video. It discusses 3 different systems, one dry and two wet.

My link was incorrect. @Lavaine below has very kindly fixed it for me. :D
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:43 pm Anyway, here's an interesting look and learn review of what's involved by Marc at Long Island Watches, that I found. Worth watching although it's not a short video. It discusses 3 different systems, one dry and two wet.
Here's the correct link to the video with Marc at Long Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS0lKaZxVVs
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
Thanks for that. I was trying to copy the link on my phone which I find hard enough anyway. I must have had that trailer instead. I didn't check it, I just assumed I had the right link.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

You would have thought, after 12 plus years on a watch forum, I would have all this knowledge. And not even have to enquire on here.
I should be answering questions not asking them.
I don't think I'll ever reach the rank of WIS.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i guess it depends upon what you're testing. i might be more likely to either "wing it" or go cheap on a $300 watch. but a $4000 watch? i want that tested properly and $35 doesn't seem that bad for the peace of mind.
the "g" is for Greg...
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

This is the best video I have found that shows all of the different equipment used to pressure test a watch. It is very in-depth but worth the time IMO.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London