Oh the Joys of Milanese Sharkskin Mesh!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Oh the Joys of Milanese Sharkskin Mesh!

Post by artphotodude »

I have a vintage 24Hr navy/submarine watch I really enjoy wearing and that is nearly always on my arm during creativity time. It has a very 'appliance'-oriented aesthetic that keeps me on task and reminds me to nap (by virtue of the rotational shift-ring), when loosing track of time.

Initially, it was one of the most difficult watches to find a band for ever, and ultimately settled on a navy-themed bund-strap. It gets a lot of comments and questions from people. BUT sometimes its austerity feels a bit undersold with the "Gilligan's Island" quality of the blue band and it seemed like their should be a more serious-looking option.

1 (1).jpg

Long-story short, found a lovely stainless sharkskin mesh on Ebay for only $10 with free shipping. Is thick (over 1/8"), firm and smooth. Very comfortable, and awesomely elevates the watch's look to more Classic Bond level like something from "Dr. No" or "Moonraker".

The clasp wasn't the best, and required a little surgery, so if you are wanting to find one, you might want to spend a bit more, but this style is likely a good match for a lot of tool watches with serious vibes.

IMG_20210717_124902986_2.jpg
IMG_20210717_124712365_2.jpg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Oh the Joys of Milanese Sharkskin Mesh!

Post by jkbarnes »

The mesh strap is a great compliment to the watch. The Dr. No reference is spot on!
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Looks great. I've always found Milanese a little dressy for a tool watch, preferring a traditional shark mesh. On the Raketa it elevates it from tool watch to dress watch, and it looks like the strap it should have shipped with.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:25 pm The mesh strap is a great compliment to the watch. The Dr. No reference is spot on!
I just need a Plastic Rad-Suit to go with it and I'd be all set! :lol:

dr_no.jpg
Lavaine wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:31 pm Looks great. I've always found Milanese a little dressy for a tool watch, preferring a traditional shark mesh. On the Raketa it elevates it from tool watch to dress watch, and it looks like the strap it should have shipped with.
There's always a balance to find. If this were on say an Oris, it would probably look too fancy, but in this case it does seem to bounce will off of modern design to look "Functional On Purpose".
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Looks great. I’m also a big fan of Milanese mesh straps- I think it’s worth tryin it in a lot of different circumstances- it can really complete a great look :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

What a great find! Looks simply awesome in combination. And you aren't likely to bump into someone wearing anything remotely similar.
Dr. No would indeed be jealous. But then he was quite the spiteful character....
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Great match, Im a fan of shark & milanese, generally prefer them to bracelets (if they suit the watch). 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Soporsche wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:30 pm Great match, Im a fan of shark & milanese, generally prefer them to bracelets (if they suit the watch). 👍
Agreed. Bracelets are either WONDERFUL or DREADFUL (like no inbetween), but mesh just works.