Maen Skymaster 38

A place to discuss other watch-brands
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Maen Skymaster 38

Post by J0EMI »

What is everybody's thoughts on this watch, I recently saw a video on YouTube of it being covered by Watchfinder & Co. At first I thought it was quite nice although I couldn't put my finger on why, as the colour combination wouldn't normally be something I would go for, I now keep finding myself going back to look at it.
Screenshot_20210714-222211_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-222051_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-222117_YouTube.jpg
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Maen Skymaster 38

Post by gannet »

It's different, a bit, but not for me.

Red and orange for me don't work together.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Funny you should ask.

I have very recently sold one of the other colour combos (blue dial, white subdials) to a member of this forum. I bought in the original KS campaign and thought it a good way for me to test out the Heuer Autavia CBE2110 look without spending £5k. For me the Skymaster was just too small to become a premier league firm favourite. I looked at this colourway too but it wasn't my first choice, nor my second.

Maen are a small watch brand and make (or have made) watches in small batches.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I watched it too. The 'talking hands' at Watchfinder really was a big fan. I thought it looked really good too, certainly at that price point. I even visited the Maen website to look further, as you do. The colours are an unusual marriage, but it all seems to work well. My only gripe is the 38mm case size, I've set my lower case size limit at around 41mm. I think all those subdials, large hands and prominent hour indices could look bit busy in what is quite a modest case size.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I like that. It reminds me of the speedmaster, which makes it familiar immediately.

I too find it a bit small. The speedmaster case is down as 42mm, but the actual dial and bezel is only 40mm. The speedy wouldn't hurt being slightly bigger, but it's based on where the movement places the pinions, and the subdials are already closely spaced. Any closer and they start overlapping. Therefore, a bigger speedy would need a redesigned movement I imagine.

The same with the skymaster.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

strapline wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:45 am I watched it too. The 'talking hands' at Watchfinder really was a big fan. I thought it looked really good too, certainly at that price point. I even visited the Maen website to look further, as you do. The colours are an unusual marriage, but it all seems to work well. My only gripe is the 38mm case size, I've set my lower case size limit at around 41mm. I think all those subdials, large hands and prominent hour indices could look bit busy in what is quite a modest case size.

Des
JAFO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:45 am I like that. It reminds me of the speedmaster, which makes it familiar immediately.

I too find it a bit small. The speedmaster case is down as 42mm, but the actual dial and bezel is only 40mm. The speedy wouldn't hurt being slightly bigger, but it's based on where the movement places the pinions, and the subdials are already closely spaced. Any closer and they start overlapping. Therefore, a bigger speedy would need a redesigned movement I imagine.

The same with the skymaster.
And I think I'm right in saying that the Maen dive watch, the Hudson, is also a 38mm case. You've really got to want those smaller cases oherwise it's not going to work out.

Put the Skymaster in a 41mm case or bigger, ditto the Hudson or even the "wait for it" Greenwich GMT watch and I'd be in.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

You would think these watch brands would have their case sizes sat somewhere at around the middle 40mm mark rather than sizing out the other side of customer base who have larger wrists :?
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I had a Hudson 38mm and it felt very small. Perhaps I expected too much from a sub-£400 Swiss-Made automatic, but for me the quality was disappointing.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot