Orient Kamaso crown issue

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Eat My Goal
Junior
Junior

Orient Kamaso crown issue

Post by Eat My Goal »

Afternoon all... earlier today I went to adjust the date and time and the crown came off:

Has this happened to anyone else and is it cheap/easy to fix?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Orient Kamaso crown issue

Post by JAFO »

Will it screw back on, or has it sheared off? If it screws off in one direction, but works normally in the other, then you can probably glue it back on with a bit of light strength loctite (the blue one?). If it's sheared I presume you need a new crown stem, which will also need some specific tools.
Eat My Goal
Junior
Junior

Post by Eat My Goal »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:53 pm Will it screw back on, or has it sheared off? If it screws off in one direction, but works normally in the other, then you can probably glue it back on with a bit of light strength loctite (the blue one?). If it's sheared I presume you need a new crown stem, which will also need some specific tools.
I'm pretty sure it's sheared off, so will pop to a local watch shop to get a quote.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

It might be an easy fix.

I’m pretty sure you can get a spare crown and stem as one piece, and it’s pretty easy to remove and replace it. There’s a small button on the movement where the stem enters that you push to release and pull it out. With the crown broken off, you might need tweezers to pull it out from the tube. But slipping the new one in would be easy. Just slide in till it clicks/locks.

You’d just have to source a new crown/stem assembly.

Never happened to me before, but I tinker and have removed many a crown/stem to take the movement out.

Might be a cheap fix for you local watchmaker too. That would save you the trouble of worrying about messing something up and sourcing the new part. But it might save some money and be fun to boot to try yourself!

If someone with more horological knowledge wants to chime in to verify, feel free!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I was thinking that you have to cut the stem.to size, don't you, and maybe file burrs off and so on, so it's a bit more challenging. You might need a movement holder or a vice of some sort also. Maybe it's not that hard though.
Eat My Goal
Junior
Junior

Post by Eat My Goal »

Thanks for all the replies... I'll be going with a quick chat with my local watchmaker, rather than attempting a repair with the risk of damaging further.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just repeating what I said before, as I am not sure whether you tried this, or just assumed you needed a repair.

Will it screw back on? I had a phylida that did that. I could wind the time backwards, but advancing forwards just caused the crown to screw off the thread. A tiny bit of threadlock sorted it out. If yours can't be reattached by screwing it on, then I imagine you do need a new stem.