Cuervo y Sobrinos - cool, Cuban and left field!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Cuervo y Sobrinos - cool, Cuban and left field!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Hand wound movement, CYS2052, based on the ETA 7001 ébauche. Looks rather pretty through the display back. They use that style of lug on all the Historiador collection.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

watchaholic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am I like the lugs on these a lot. Seems they are the same across most of the line.
What are they using for a movement?
ETA?

Certainly looks to be the case from that pic of a small seconds dial sitting stranded in the middle of the dial, rather than closer to the edge.

I agree about the case shape and lugs. IIRC a similar shape to that used on a couple of high end brands.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

nbg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:08 am
watchaholic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am I like the lugs on these a lot. Seems they are the same across most of the line.
I agree about the case shape and lugs. IIRC a similar shape to that used on a couple of high end brands.

Neil
They are similar to the cornes de vache lugs used by Vacheron Constantin, which comes on this at a trifling £36,800.

0A564783-1F47-4133-9B6B-78010854B51D.png
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 am They are similar to the cornes de vache lugs used by Vacheron Constantin
¿Cuernos de vaca?
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

del toro para machos, surely? :D
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ ¡Sí, claro!

In a picture I have quoted before, I find myself again between my two little friends.
  • Hómer Diablo: go on, buy it – it’s really pretty whichever model you choose and it will make a lovely addition to your collection.
  • Hómer Ángel: get real, you don’t actually need ANY MORE WATCHES, let alone dress watches which you don’t wear very often nowadays, anyway.
Steve

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I'd vote any day for that gold/blue Flameante - a snip at a mere 12k:

A retirement watch should be gold
blue and gold suit perfectly together (quite a rare combination these days)
gold is very practical for cases - easily repairable and scratches polish away

You would wear that as something extra special - drop dead gorgeous!

:twisted:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am ^^^ ¡Sí, claro!

In a picture I have quoted before, I find myself again between my two little friends.
  • Hómer Diablo: go on, buy it – it’s really pretty whichever model you choose and it will make a lovely addition to your collection.
  • Hómer Ángel: get real, you don’t actually need ANY MORE WATCHES, let alone dress watches which you don’t wear very often nowadays, anyway.
Just went throught that EXACT scenario when contemplating my latest "proper gold watch". This time the angle won, as my actual retirement is still a few years off. You, my good sir, while fortunate to be retired, may feel a bit more pressure. My two cents says, no hurry. Plenty of time for contemplation. Especially if the one pulling at your heartstrings is a new piece that may be available in the future.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am
I guess you know what you mean when you describe a watch as a ‘dress’ watch, but I don’t think the description needs to be exclusive. To me, none of these watches look ‘exclusively’ dressy (ie you wouldn’t or couldn’t wear them in any other situation). You look dapper in shorts, shirt and Panama, so why not wear any of these watches for any occasion?? Now THAT’S Homer Diablo talking! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm My two cents says, no hurry. Plenty of time for contemplation. Especially if the one pulling at your heartstrings is a new piece that may be available in the future.
Nothing is exactly pulling at my heartstrings, it was more a passing fancy for something a bit unusual.
missF wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:21 pm Now THAT’S Homer Diablo talking! :lol:
Get thee behind me… :twisted:
Steve

artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Very Pretty. Substantial, but not Heavy.
Jambers33

Post by Jambers33 »

I was the purchaser of the Historiador GMT! Such a small world on t'interweb; I was looking for ideas on straps for something else and stumbled upon the thread.

The watch is totally unique and I understand CyS is a brand with a strong individualist aesthetic but the quality of the finish and materials is superb and the humidor alone would set me back a pretty penny. As a long time cigar smoker, I can assure you it's not cheap or gimmicky by any stretch.

I'm thinking about changing the strap out; I really want to get some lizard skin onto the lugs, just got a feeling it'll really work with the aesthetic.

Also have to say Jura are always a pleasure to buy from in my experience.

Will post some photos soon.

PS Now if anyone can help me with finding a leather strap for a 38mm Constellation Co-Axial Chronometer......
Amor Vincit Omnia

Hello and welcome! Fantastic that you found us. I can’t wait to see your photographs of that watch.

Meanwhile, do pop over to the Member Introduction section and tell us all about yourself. You certainly sound like a proper watch enthusiast. 8)
Steve

Jambers33

Post by Jambers33 »

I will do Amor, thanks for the welcome!
Jambers33

Post by Jambers33 »

The Double Luna Negra is a watch you could see for just how different the CyS aesthetic can be. Hopefully the pp will fall a little as it's around 5.2k and relatively new to their range. I'll be keeping my eye out for one next year. I'll post photos of the GMT on the original strap tomorrow and also the presentation humidor.

My gut feeling re the lizard skin is a dark sand/caramel if I can find one suitable. I'm open to suggestions though. I have red hair and fair skin so I like to keep things to the lighter end of the spectrum generally.