Russian 'Grail' Found!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Russian 'Grail' Found!

Post by artphotodude »

Now most people are thinking Swiss, or at least Japanese when using the term 'Grail', but for me one of my Grails has been an Export (English text) version of the Russian made Raketa Perpetual Calendar Watch with a RED Dial. There are a lot of these in English in blue, grey, some green and in the redesigned dial format without applied indices, but for me, the Red One with Gold Markers is the one I always stop and look at. Was told by a few Russian sellers that they had never seen this in English and one in particular told me that there was an active policy of not exporting products with too much RED for fear of loosing sales over politics. In any event, 2 months ago a member of Watch-U-Seek posted a picture of the very one I wanted and proved it did in fact exist! :D

SO began contacting all the Russian Watch sellers I know of on Ebay and Etsy and one I'd purchased from before told me he ran across such a watch here in the US a while back and sent me the link! The price was over $600 and I thought "oh well, was nice dreaming..." but then looked closer and realized it was for a lot of 6 different watches. Trepidatiously, I sent a message asking if the seller would be willing to sell it by itself??? After a few days I got a reply saying YES - and for only $79!!!!. With shipping it was just over $90. AND it was in MINT condition even including the original passport (certification) and odd blister-pack style packaging.

It just arrived and I couldn't be more pleased. On first using the fancy calendar, instantly realized that this was a 3 paycheck month for me ;0p - already off to a nice start!

Am going to try to create a new calendar ring - printed on aluminum that makes it current with modern dates, but will of-course keep the old one too.

The dial is very lively. Is a light salmon in bright light, but then deepens to fruit-punch color around sunset or in the early morning. Time keeping is superb, as expected from Raketa.

To wrap-up found a matching solid-link gold-plated bracelet in great shape for just over $20 (pic 2).

What's fun about this watch is while most watch enthusiasts begrudgingly tolerate calendars (Rolex owners notwithstanding - who actually love them), the majority would prefer to NOT have them taking up dial-space. This watch flips that script - conceptually being a mechanical calendar, that begrudgingly also tells the time! A sort of office-worker / accountant form of glamour that just brings a smile to my face. Have never been one into luxury (or gold) personally, but with its tongue this far into its cheek, I'm freed-up to enjoy some of this "Molten Hot Magma" without guilt or embarrassment.

IMG_20210708_132145148.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Russian 'Grail' Found!

Post by Jkpa »

Wow what a cool find and in such great condition. Nothing better than scoring a rare watch you have been looking for!!
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Jkpa wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:20 am Wow what a cool find and in such great condition. Nothing better than scoring a rare watch you have been looking for!!
Thanks! still doesn't feel real. I only have one other 'Grail', Bulova Accutron Spaceview - and thankfully while much more expensive, there are also a LOT of those in the world.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Terrific story, super outcome. I love the fact that the year ring expired (in 2012?)… A bit like old computer systems that only allowed for 2 digit years, never considering they would ever have to contend with a year not beginning with “19”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:41 am Terrific story, super outcome. I love the fact that the year ring expired (in 2012?)… A bit like old computer systems that only allowed for 2 digit years, never considering they would ever have to contend with a year not beginning with “19”.
Do you suppose they made a "Mayan Calendar" Dial? Oh be still my heart ;0p
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A fantastic and interesting looking watch and must be very satisfying to have such a good example in your hands after a long search. It proves as well that you don't need to spend thousands to find rare and lovely watches.

As an accountant, I can appreciate the "office worker/accountant form of glamour" :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:33 pm A fantastic and interesting looking watch and must be very satisfying to have such a good example in your hands after a long search. It proves as well that you don't need to spend thousands to find rare and lovely watches.

As an accountant, I can appreciate the "office worker/accountant form of glamour" :)
Am completely satisfied with it!

The other style that is very popular is like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143976832357 .
These are much more available in English.

As a sidenote should you ever get one, there are a LOT of discussions about taking the leap-year and adding 11 on some months . . . or going to the internet to see the last available year on the dial that matches the current year, but it's actually WAY easier than that. You just look at a Current Month calendar and rotate the ring until you see a memorable year on it that offers say a (Saturday the 10th of July - in this case 2004) and Bob's your uncle - the rest of the calendar (and year) should work fine.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

To anyone who wonders how these movements perform: Wristwatch Revival on Youtube showcases a service with some SHOCKING results at the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6WtM1esdko
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

The metal bracelet arrived but sadly the color of the gold didn't match (was MUCH yellower), so wound-up instead going with a sage green nato (Pic 1 - on the watch) and a green Stingray band (Pic 2) - still coming in the mail (will need to change to buckle to match). As mentioned I normally don't wear gold, but fortunately, greens tie it with my existing wardrobe pretty well.

The End of My Russian Watch Collection!!

P.S. if anyone needs a nice vintage/retro 18k (18mm) quality gold bracelet for cheap, I have listed the one not used on Ebay - starting at just what I have into it (several good pictures in the listing). https://www.ebay.com/itm/294285007115

PICT1234.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Had to replace the buckle (and will also need to rework the holes in the band to fit said new buckle), but did want to post a shot with the other band found for this fun critter - Stingray in Green! Am ready to order an "old fashioned" with Thurston Howell III :D
Attachments
PICT0002.jpg
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Fascinating watch and backstory. I love the two watch straps you've paired it with, they really play to the vintage element. Office worker vibe? yes. On the NATO I can see Winston Smith sporting it in his little cubicle in the Ministry of Truth. As for the stingray, well that's gonzo journalism - think Hunter S Thompson. In fact I did a double take on the cert of manufacture, for a moment I thought it said '1984'. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?