EDOX North Sea?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

EDOX North Sea?

Post by Soporsche »

OK so I have come across this watch several times and it strangely appeals.

EDOX North Sea 1967
Its a tribute to the original North Sea divers:
LE of 320 (but its an Edox so who cares)
320m+ water resistance (uses the double O ring they invented in 60s)
Bronze with a SS back.
43mm but under 50 L2L. (Around 14mm thick, so a bit of a zombie thwacker)
Movement Edox calibre (basically a decorated Sellita sw200-1)
I know little about Edox other than they have a strong horological history and were at one time very well thought of as serious tool watches and some dressy gold pieces. Nowadays, seem to have a lot of quartz models, sub £400 market and would not be considered a desirable brand.
I really like the styling, grew up by the North Sea, spent a ridiculous amount of time besides, on, in or even under it and have an affinity, I also happen to be born in 1967 so the branding appeals.
Heres the rub, £1500, which is obviously not great value from a brand/spec perspective. I originally dismissed for logical
reasons i.e. there are a lot of nice watches at that price point and I'm currently saving/consolidating for 2 special pieces but... I keep on coming back to it (design/association/1967)?
Head its a no heart is a yes!
Edox-North-Sea-1967-Historical-Bronze-Limited-Edition-80118-BRN-N67-6-1024x1024.jpg
Thoughts and opinions invited.
PS, wish it didn't have a date window
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: EDOX North Sea - am I being silly?

Post by gannet »

I can see the appeal too :thumbsup:

if you like it...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I see that there are several for sale on the 'bay at a similar price point..I don't see many out in the wild, so you would have a fairly unique piece of wrist wear..a poster I know of on another forum quite likes Edox..if you can comfortably wear it & it won't hurt you financially, go for it..I like its' looks..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I think I'd look at the watch from as many angles as possible.
The photo you provided clearly works and I like the black date window but those "period feature" hands; they're a bit minimalist and I wonder if they look quite so good when viewed from straight on or at arms length?
Have you seen a lume shot? The lume tracks on the main hands aren't huge and, well head might say "decent lume please" whereas heart might say "sixties homage (virtually nonexistent) lume.

As always, this is your call but we'll back you up either way.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I don’t think you’re being silly at all. It’s a good looking watch that has really caught your eye. I would just say to pay attention to the dimensions and wearability. If you’re not prone to wearing zombie thwackers this may turn out to be an expensive paperweight. :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Thanks for the comments so far :thumbup:

I don't think the lume will be amazing, though I have seen a lume shot that looked 'respectable', suspect it won't last too long.

Re size, its pushing a bit but I wear CW C9s at 43mm and quite thick on the AM GT and the chrono. The case shape on this and modest L2L should work OK. Bonus if I encounter any zombies 😁

I'm impatient when it comes to watches and whilst head says wait and pick one up used at somw point, this could take a long long time for one to come up so heart says just go for it.. it will eat into the budget earmarked for this though:
20210702_172641.jpg
Stephen

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Three things I noticed from your arguments:

-Would eat into the budget for 2 pieces you really want
-You’re not thrilled with the date window
-A high price point for this brand

These seem to come together to form the “head says no/heart says yes” argument.

The heart wants what it wants though! You might regret it later when the small details start niggling and you still lust after the Breitling, but are now farther away from it financially. But it’s something most of us have done at some point!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

HI Alex... You are spot on, I've been here before as whilst I'm very logical re most things I tend to be quite impulsive/compulsive re watches.
There are a lot of nice ones out there, hence the current SOTC. 😉
Stephen

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I’m with you, Stephen. I can form a logical assessment like above no problem, but will still make that impulse buy myself. All part of the fun with this crazy hobby/passion! I may do a SOTC here soon to show a few of them :D

BTW I can see the appeal in the Edox. It’s actually similar to the Breitling in the color scheme and bezel markings. Never a bad thing to have a shiny new watch to appreciate!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

The original target for retro diver/skin diver was the LLD Bronze (below) which is kind of between the the Edox and Breitling, then I tried it on the size was perfect, colour amazing, interesting, retro fun, no date.... but the lugs were just soooo long, killed it a bit for me.
Longines-Legend-Diver-Bronze-No-Date-L3.774.1.50.2-Review-6.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
I'm still a sucker for the Edox North Sea and 1967 branding 😆
Stephen