How Watch Shape Affects Apparent Size

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Rather than write a long tome, I thought it easier to simply show a picture of two of my vintage watches, which to me they seem to be of a similar size. Yet, excluding crowns, the circular watch is 37.2mm across and the square one is 32.4mm across. Surface area though is very similar for the two.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: How Watch Shape Affects Apparent Size

Post by jkbarnes »

Very interesting side by side comparison! As a point of reference, I’m assuming 20mm L2L vs. 22mm L2L?
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'm useless at maths but:

I think a 40mm circular watch has an area of 12.53 cm2, and a 35mm square case has an area of 12.25 cm2?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I was so sure they were the same same I measured the diameters in the images and the sure enough the square Eterna is indeed smaller by about 10%. I knew square watches wear larger on a wrist (tried a 39mm Monaco once) but was surprised as how similar they appear in your photo.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

a round watch appears to taper to the wrist and a square watch appears to hang over on the corners.
the "g" is for Greg...
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

As an addendum to Steve’s post, the 37.2mm circular Continental (and it is truly circular, which is why it’s such a good example) is 10.87 cm2. The perfectly square Eterna is 10.49 cm2.

Andrew, the lug widths are respectively 18 and 20mm. Actually, this raises another point - the wider strap on the Eterna also adds a little to the appearance of “size”.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Goes to show how much a thin bezel affects perceived overall size.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's fascinating, Gary, a real trick of the eye, or a very good experiment in how we visually perceive things. The Continental is almost 5mm wider. The increased L2L width of the Eterna only serves to heighten the illusion. To my eye the Eterna looks way bigger.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I don't have a square or rectangular watch, but I imagine the square watches wear very well on pretty well any wrist, as there's never going to be an issue with the lug to lug dimension. I suppose the only thing is the longest hand will touch the minute track at the quarter hours, but will be a little further away between those times, eg 1:35
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Interesting stuff, Gary.
I've just done a "microscopic" examination of these two (and on suspicion, you will see why):
1. Cartier Santos Medium (square) which is 35.1mm across and has a rather wide bezel.
2. Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic, 38mm dia with a very average bezel thickness - not wide, not slim.
Result: Dial area IDENTICAL @ 6.26 sq.cm.

Not as dramatic as your example perhaps, but that is the bezel width for you as well. And yes, the Santos wears like a shorter-lugged 38.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Noush wrote: 1. Cartier Santos Medium (square) which is 35.1mm across and has a rather wide bezel.
Chris, that’s a watch I’ve looked at with interest since buying my Clé - the large model is too big for my tastes. I think the refreshed Santos range looks great with the way the bezel flows into the bracelet.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

JAFO wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am I don't have a square or rectangular watch, but I imagine the square watches wear very well on pretty well any wrist, as there's never going to be an issue with the lug to lug dimension. I suppose the only thing is the longest hand will touch the minute track at the quarter hours, but will be a little further away between those times, eg 1:35
HI, re Square watches wearing well on any wrist I have mixed experience.. it comes down to size (obviously) and exact case shape ie rounded corner square or sharp square... I have a very prominent wrist bone and after years lusting after a Monaco (original calibre) I finally acquired.. after 6 months I gave in and realised I could not comfortably wear it for any length of time. If above the wrist bone would dig in when flexing my wrist, too big to wear below the bone as it limited movement, looked very odd and dug into back of hand. It was just a couple of mm too big and corners sharp angles.
Tried on a Cartier Samtos XL last weekend and that fit beautifully with its rectangle shape, gently curved corners and perfect size.
Cushion shape seems perfect compromise for me, retro shape, comfortable square/circle mix, interesting design.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Soporsche wrote:Cushion shape seems perfect compromise for me, retro shape, comfortable square/circle mix, interesting design.
One advantage of both square and cushion shape is the shorter lug to lug lengths. A clear advantage of cushion cases is that there are no corners to dig into your wrist. Even with a “petite” square like the Eterna, the corners can dig in if your wrist is pressing against something. Ok any watch can cause discomfort, but square has more opportunity to do so.

Cushion case watches often have the combination of wrist presence and comfortable wearability; a great example is the Seiko Turtle. It’s been around since the 80s and at 44mm was very large for the time; yet with its short L2L it’s a very wearable size for many, many people (and no sharp corners), whereas a 44mm round watch with the longer L2L (think CW C8) may not be.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

You count the diagonal. Squares wear large.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

sinner777 wrote:You count the diagonal. Squares wear large.
But the diagonal of a 32.4mm square watch is almost 46mm. It definitely doesn’t wear that large!

Maybe if you used the halfway point between the side and the diagonal - that’d be 39mm, which is certainly closer to how it wears than the diagonal.

Then it gets complicated with rectangular watches. I’ll dig out my Oris Miles tomorrow and compare the three together.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier