"Sub Rosa"...those secretive gems.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: "Sub Rosa"...those secretive gems.

Post by watchaholic »

Not sure what the financial parameters were meant to be, we have all seen plenty of overpriced tripe over the years, so I will try to keep this to to the truely unique.
Lang and Heyne, Dresden Germany should "fit the bill" as a secretive gem. Some may think the triple lug unnecessary. I think the squared dial in the rectangular case is brilliant, though I would like to see this done with Roman numerals.
Don't get me started on the movement.
20191013_232858.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:13 pm Not sure what the financial parameters were meant to be...
There weren't any, and that is magnificent at ANY price! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:58 pm Thanks to Gary's post above, I'll go for my Panerai also Halios.

My Omegas, Rolex, Tudors, Tag, Hamiltons I guess would be recognised by most. I reckon though we might be surprised by how many non-WIS wouldn't recognise a Black Bay let alone something like a North Flag.
I think you might also be surprised by how few non-WIS would recognise any brand, unless you handed them the watch to enable them to read the brand name on the dial! I include the likes of Rolex and Omega in the category as well.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

nbg wrote:I think you might also be surprised by how few non-WIS would recognise any brand, unless you handed them the watch to enable them to read the brand name on the dial! I include the likes of Rolex and Omega in the category as well.
Indeed Neil! I have commented any number of times in various threads how few people actually comment on any of my watches (and I’ve owned, shall we say, some very colourful watches in the past. Still do have a few... But if bright colours or classy watches or whatever don’t raise people’s interest what will? My experience of the relatively small number of instances, is that it falls into two categories...

The first is people who have an interest in watches. They don’t have to be a WIS, just a moderate interest may be enough.

The second (and largest in my experience) is people that are currently shopping for watches, but have no significant interest other than the momentary one of checking out everyone’s wrist to see what they’re wearing. A couple of months (or weeks) later they show little to no interest. Most lose interest when they discover:
a) the cost (let’s face it most casual watch shoppers don’t allocate the same sort of budgets we often do for watch purchases) or;
b) that it can’t be bought from the local department store.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:53 pm
watchaholic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:13 pm Not sure what the financial parameters were meant to be...
There weren't any, and that is magnificent at ANY price! :clap:
I must apologize as I have a bad habit of speed reading and thus missed that portion of your initial post pertaining to watches owned. Pics of the Lange and Heyne should have been in the Dreamers thread.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Do we think my Type XX Aeronavale is discreet enough to fly under the radar? I'll advocate it is, especially when worn on a NATO strap, as I prefer to do.

Taking a British perspective I'll suggest, as the antidote to ZeroWest, Pinion. Maybe not quite the bravado as a brand but suitably classy.

Finally, at the affordable end of the spectrum, I'll concur with Paul (@Dickchins) with a shout out for Kiwi brand Draken; particular when bought as a super early bird on Kickstarter.

Their latest release, the Benguela.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re:

Post by watchaholic »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 am Do we think my Type XX Aeronavale is discreet enough to fly under the radar? I'll advocate it is, especially when worn on a NATO strap, as I prefer to do.

Guy

On the outside chance I might be successful in fooling the masses and going Sub Rosa, I would wear that Type XX every chance I got! :lol:
Dwight
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ One of the reasons that it is one of three watches I am taking on a week's holiday, this morning, Dwight. :wink: :wink:

The other two both have Sub Rossa vibes as well.

My Newmark HS Chronograph and, perhaps less so, my white dial/blue bezel Elliot Brown Bloxworth (Julia Bradbury is currently wearing a black/cyan Bloxworth on the TV).

Guy

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

^^^^With the selection you have, I'm not sure how you can ever decide. Have a great trip and keep us posted. :wave:
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

Re:

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 am Do we think my Type XX Aeronavale is discreet enough to fly under the radar?
Absolutely. My original idea was superb watches that most people wouldn't recognise. Discreet doesn't mean small, dainty and slips under a cuff in this case.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re:

Post by StrappedUp »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 am Do we think my Type XX Aeronavale is discreet enough to fly under the radar? I'll advocate it is, especially when worn on a NATO strap, as I prefer to do.

Beautiful watch, but nope, Joe Public would definitely pick out that Daniel Wellington on the NATO I'm afraid Guy.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Ryan.

Guy

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Surely this one qualifies then as I attended an all class reunion last weekend, spoke to literally hundreds of people over 3 days and got exactly 0 comments.
20190403_011302.jpg
Sorry, old photo
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

watchaholic wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am Surely this one qualifies then as I attended an all class reunion last weekend, spoke to literally hundreds of people over 3 days and got exactly 0 comments.
I'd argue not. Unless it was completely under the cuff, I would suspect it was recognised even if verbal comment came there none...
Steve

mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by mibby »

CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot