Breguet Type XXI 3815 Chronograph - Should I?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Breguet Type XXI 3815 Chronograph - Should I?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Breguet have recently released a 42mm, Titanium, Type XXI Chronograph Aviator LE of 250 pieces in each of green or orange/brown lume colourways, as featured in a Watch Release review by A Blog to Watch.

Breguet-Type-XXI-3815-2.jpg
Breguet-Type-XXI-3815-4.jpg

As regular readers will know I'm partial to my Type XX Aeronaval LE (of 1,000) with 39mm case but 41mm bezel.

Recent pic from the non-CW of the Day thread.

Is the Type XXI 3815 a new grail?

Should I switch?

Should I even get one as well as?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Breguet Type XXI 3815 Chronograph - Should I?

Post by ajax87 »

Whenever anybody poses that question, I’ll always suggest the “as well as” option.

Your existing LE is a very special watch in its own right. I think these 2 are different enough to each have their own space in any collection.

I have a massive respect for everything Breguet does. They one definitely one of my top brands. I admire yours whenever you post it!

Personally I’d go for the orange variant as it is just a little further different from your existing one than the green. Plus I just really like orange.

I’m sure you’ll let us know when yours arrives. :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Guy as someone who really likes the one that you bought from Dave (to the extent that I often think I should have bought it myself when offered) my view is:

Stick with the one you have. I am not keen on the colour of the lume on either of the new ones. Looks a bit forced to me.

On the other hand, if I had an ulterior motive, I would say I really like the new ones, an excellent upgrade, buy both and sell the one you have. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

What's your biggest reason for the change? Case size by any chance?
If you feel your current one is too small, then go for the larger case if you can justify the expense for 3mm and titanium.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Stick with what you have Guy. It is a lovely watch and looks a bit more natural then the more colourful new versions.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Personally I’m inclined to agree with Neil and Paul. The one you have is much nicer to my eyes. But then, I’m neither a fan of green or orange.

However, you know your own mind and if you are comfortable with it – why not?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I really like your existing XX and it fits the bill perfectly (unless the size is an issue). Of the new versions, naturally the orange.
Personally couldn't get past chopped off numbers so I'm probably not the best person to advise. :lol:
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
downer

Post by downer »

Your current watch is a class act and, to my eyes at least, these new LE's appear to be trying a wee bit too hard. So, on this occasion, I'd be sticking rather than twisting.
Richard
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Looks like it’s right up your street, big, bold and not afraid of colour. A quality brand, which you already know.

Should you buy it? Above ^ should be pointing to a yes, but who apart from you can say?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I think your type XX is the one to have Guy, personally I wouldn’t dispose of it to replace with either of these new models.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS

Wow, Gentlemen.

Thank you all for your considered and valued responses which very much gives me food for thought.

I have no true idea of how I would want to play this, but let me run through your responses and perhaps my thoughts will become clearer-
ajax87 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:12 pm Whenever anybody poses that question, I’ll always suggest the “as well as” option.

Your existing LE is a very special watch in its own right. I think these 2 are different enough to each have their own space in any collection.

I have a massive respect for everything Breguet does. They one definitely one of my top brands. I admire yours whenever you post it!

Personally I’d go for the orange variant as it is just a little further different from your existing one than the green. Plus I just really like orange.

I’m sure you’ll let us know when yours arrives. :D
I'll agree with you on colour choice Alex. I feel the green is the safe, and somewhat generic, option, whereas the orange kinda pops in a vintage way.

Yes my current LE is special. Perhaps a bit plain but classic all the same, and that is arguably the beauty of it. A particular feature of it that sold it to me when I first saw it maybe two years before I actually bought it, is the bezel with polished numeral and black lacquer infill; as on the new XXI 3815.

nbg wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:21 pm Guy as someone who really likes the one that you bought from Dave (to the extent that I often think I should have bought it myself when offered) my view is:

Stick with the one you have. I am not keen on the colour of the lume on either of the new ones. Looks a bit forced to me.

On the other hand, if I had an ulterior motive, I would say I really like the new ones, an excellent upgrade, buy both and sell the one you have. :)

Neil
Buy both, Neil? Ah, maybe you misunderstood my wistful options. I was thinking more buy one and keep my existing; giving me two Breguets.

I think I am indebted to you for putting me in contact with Dave, that led me to buy my current one, which I do really like and happen to have worn several days this week.

I can see what you mean about the colours of the lume being forced. Maybe enhanced by the numerals being on the large side.

what-time-is-it wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:27 pm What's your biggest reason for the change? Case size by any chance?
If you feel your current one is too small, then go for the larger case if you can justify the expense for 3mm and titanium.
Reason for change?

Not entirely sure about that Chris. Mostly, the Release Review caught my interest, it also featured in WatchPro's daily bulletin today, as I own the Type XX and it being a case of is this new one better / more desirable or whatever.

Case size? Yes, 42mm sits in my optimum range and arguably my XX is small but, thanks to the oversize bezel (at 41mm) it wears larger than you might think.

"if you can justify the expense for 3mm and titanium." - Its quite a substantial leap. Gulp. Justifiable? Not sure.

stefs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:10 pm Stick with what you have Guy. It is a lovely watch and looks a bit more natural then the more colourful new versions.
To the point eh, Paul. :wink:

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:50 pm Personally I’m inclined to agree with Neil and Paul. The one you have is much nicer to my eyes. But then, I’m neither a fan of green or orange.

However, you know your own mind and if you are comfortable with it – why not?

Points appreciated, as always Steve. You know I'm not shy of a bold colour or two though.

As I've already mentioned my current one has a more classic look, perhaps in the mould of a classic diver e.g. a Rolex Submariner. Thing is, one could walk down many a street in a capital city and no-one would have a clue that I'm wearing a Type XX, whereas the Submariner is recognised Worldwide.

Soporsche wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:57 pm I really like your existing XX and it fits the bill perfectly (unless the size is an issue). Of the new versions, naturally the orange.
Personally couldn't get past chopped off numbers so I'm probably not the best person to advise. :lol:
Yup, the chopped off numerals are a niggle Stephen, which highlights how large the numerals must be as its a bigger watch than my XX which doesn't have any chopping.

Also, with the numerals being so proportionally large, it rather stick out that the '6' is missing due to the date window; I quite like the no-date simplicity of mine.

downer wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 pm Your current watch is a class act and, to my eyes at least, these new LE's appear to be trying a wee bit too hard. So, on this occasion, I'd be sticking rather than twisting.
Solid and sound advice Richard. To coin a phrase (that I don't actually like) I can see where you're coming from. :wink: :wink:

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 pm Looks like it’s right up your street, big, bold and not afraid of colour. A quality brand, which you already know.

Should you buy it? Above ^ should be pointing to a yes, but who apart from you can say?
"right up your street, big, bold and not afraid of colour" - quite right, but I wonder if this is the right watch for those criteria. :-k :-k

That's the one thing with all these types of thread Wyatt. At the end of the day its down to me, the potential buyer, to decide.

Objectively my inclination is that if I bought one of the Type XXI 3851, it would have to be at the expense of my Type XX Aeronaval; I simply couldn't justify having both (or could I?).

Yes the XX Aeronaval is a tad smaller than my general preference but then that is part of its beauty; and its a classic beauty I fell in love with when I first saw it posted here on the forum some 4 or 5 years ago. Another beauty is the back story of it being in celebration of 100 years of the French Naval Air Service. As far as I can see the XXI 3851 is merely linked to the original 1950's French Air Force watches.

Much to think about, its late and an ideal opportunity to push off and sleep on it. G'night, all.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 pm I think your type XX is the one to have Guy, personally I wouldn’t dispose of it to replace with either of these new models.
You snuck that in whilst I was generating my long reply, Patrick. :oops: :oops:

Point taken.

Guy

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Morning Guy

Personally I'd stick with what you have, I think it's a very charming watch. I always admire it when I see it in the NCWOTD thread. The green and orange detract for me, but the display caseback and movement details are the standout feature. It's a very nicely decorated movement, and the white gold rotor and its decoration is just superb. It'll be your decision and I'm sure it'll turn out to be the right decision.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Thanks for your comments Des.

More weight to the argument for me to keep what I've got, which would allow me to branch out in other directions.

I agree the display caseback and movement are very attractive, but I hadn't taken note of the rotor being white gold. Thanks for mentioning it.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

For what my comment is worth, I'd be sticking with what you have. No-date simplicity, the more "natural" beauty to my eyes, which see these new ones as looking for a reason to be different. I also see the smaller size as being "more in keeping".

I may be biased of course. Bezel apart, your XX is not aesthetically dissimilar to my Big Eye (or is it the other way around?) with which I am smitten....
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.