Rolex Hulk on Dickinson's Real Deal

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Rolex Hulk on Dickinson's Real Deal

Post by JAFO »

A woman on Real Deal just sold her grandfather's Rolex Hulk. The auctioneer's validated it as genuine, but it sold for only £4100. There's some buyers premium, which might bring it up to £5500 but that's a world away from a selling price of £13000 plus, isn't it?
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Rolex Hulk on Dickinson's Real Deal

Post by Soporsche »

A decent pickup for someone. When was the episode filmed though? As you say a long was from current SP.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Not sure when it was filmed. I just noticed it as the last item on today's show. There were no papers, but the auctioneer's checked it out and said it checked out as a legit watch. I thought it might sell for 7k or 8k, but maybe you need to allow for a service. There's obviously a big difference between the chrono24 "Market" price, and the real open market price.

This seems to be series 14 of 15, so perhaps 2018.

I was watching a Paul Thorpe video about him mentoring a chap who wanted to be a watch dealer, and Paul was making the point that a dealer needs to make customers aware of the profit margin there needed to be between the buying and selling price for a trader.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

That episode was aired January 2019. May even have been a repeat at that stage, therefore your guess re 2018 seems reasonable.

Did the auctioneer explain why it seemed to have an incorrect box?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

No. There were no papers, just a green Rolex box. Not sure if you are familiar with the programme. An antiques dealer tries to agree a private deal with the vendor,who can either accept the deal.or go to.auction.

In this case it was said to be the woman's grandfather's watch, but there were no papers. The dealer would not make an offer (unusually). The watch went to auction, and it was said the auction house had verified it as a genuine Rolex. Nobody commented on the box. Did you see the show today, Neil?

I just thought £4100 plus buyers premium would have been a good price for a genuine watch.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Hi JAFO I didn’t watch it. When I was using Google to try and find when the show was aired I came across a thread on another forum from January 2019, where the box was mentioned. It also had a link to the auction lot, that showed the older style box.

As you say, with buyers premium still a good price for a genuine watch. That would still have been the case back then, albeit before the prices for that model became hyped.

As to chrono24 prices - I once heard a non chrono24 dealer indicate that ch24 wasn’t really an indication of the real market price. It was an indication of the price at which watches weren’t selling! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK