Found my grail but what do you make of this?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Found my grail but what do you make of this?

Post by Noush »

For me:
2020 was the year of putting together some sort of collection. Happy with how that went.
2021 is the year of just 3 and that's done and dusted. BB58 Blue, Big Eye and on pre-order C63 White GMT. Things are looking really good.
2022 is the year of the grail and there's saving to do. It had to be different than the rest and a proper icon. It's a Cartier Santos 35mm auto.
Here in Australia, it's (for me) a chunk of change at AUD 9800. But grails aren't supposed to be cheap.

But here's the thing, and the real subject of this thread:
You can buy a quartz version of a Santos for AUD 5850. It's a bit different - the case, the bezel, there's no bracelet, but it's still for sure a Santos - it still looks great and it's still an icon. Although personally I think the Auto in the 2018 evolved case looks better.
For some time I've had my eye on a Grand Seiko SBGA283. The smallest and most suitable of the Spring Drives for my smaller wrist. Wears a treat, superbly finished. The price is AUD 5700. Same as a quartz Santos, near as makes no difference.

SO. What do you folks make of that particular Head To Head? Is this Style vs Substance? Is this Icon vs Excellent Watch? Is this Switzerland vs Japan?
I'm REALLY interested in different perspectives on that particular conundrum.
Gratuitous pic of the subject of my swooning attached along with a pic of the GS for reference.
Cartier+Santos+De+Cartier+Medium+Midsize+WSSA0010+-+2019+Watch+Vault+02.jpg
SBGA283G_29100030955520_jpg.jpg.png
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Found my grail but what do you make of this?

Post by Bungle-ator »

I think if I considered the Santos my grail then I'd have to ignore the GS or I'd end up with them both or having to sell the GS later.

The GS is fantastic but it's not remotely similar to the Santos in any way so their isn't even any hope that it would scratch that itch.

Me, I'd be holding out and saving longer for that auto.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

I'll certainly go for the Santos auto, done deal there. I've got to a place now where another watch needs to have X factor. The GS is not so different to my Tissot in a many ways.

But nonetheless I thought the dollar for dollar comparison of the other 2 was kinda interesting.
Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bungle-ator wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 am Me, I'd be holding out and saving longer for that auto.
^^^This!

They are very different watches. The GS is lovely, and they will fulfil similar functions, but if the Cartier is what you really want you will kick yourself if you can go for it and don’t.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Oh definitely Steve. The Santos 35 Auto is really the only watch I've seen that really makes me think grail and I've looked at/into plenty of watches.
Even things like VCs and JLCs and the like are are "Yeah, but...". This one no such thing.

I was really more interested in what people made of that kind of dollar for dollar head to head.
Chris
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Well Chris, your grail would be a grail for me too. It's the Santos all the way - the first pilot's watch I believe. History and elan. Get the auto, not the quartz, personally I would never spend more than £500 tops on a quartz, at least I haven't so far. Grails should not be easy to attain, as you said. Do some shifts driving a taxi, sell a kidney whatever. That watch is majestic; it might be worth looking in to Cartier's servicing schedule and costs too, that might lead to you driving a taxi again. :lol: :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

In my opinion...
If you're looking at "bang for buck" then the GS wins hands down.
They are beautifully finished and keep excellent time.
They are very understated and, I think it's been mentioned before, that a GS is considered a watch enthusiasts watch.
You can wear a GS out in public without drawing attention to yourself.
Having said that the Cartier, whether that be a Santos or a Tank, is an iconic watch.
Both very different styles so it's what appeals to you most.
If it's the Cartier Santos go for the Auto version and start saving now - Don't accept second best, i.e. don't settle for the quartz version.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Spot on Nigel. Saves me composing a reply. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I can't find a Santos bigger than 32mm in quartz so not exactly sure what the same price comparison is between but these are two very different watches - lume vs none, crown protection vs none, date vs none, square vs round... the only comparable feature is they are both steel with a bracelet but even then there's polished vs brushed bezel.

For the price of the Santos I would have liked the screws not to be randomly rotated, there are so many of them that it bothers me to the point of actively disliking it. I don't care to own an icon because it's an icon, I'd rather look at something I like on a daily basis than to have the acclaim of random strangers.

That said if you want the Santos the GS is not going to fill that hole in your collection. Paying that much for a quartz sounds crazy especially given the lack of bracelet so it would be the GS for me, but the long awaited Santos auto if I were you.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Try to keep the eyes on the prize. Santos auto all day long for me. That's the one that grabbed you so forget the extra cost and make that one happen.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Hmmm...I was simply comparing the price of the quartz Santos with the GS because it just jumped out at me having had a good look into that GS...

Bang for buck certainly the GS is the "winner" but I don't think grails, or any higher-end watch for that matter are just about that. The GS is a great watch but it doesn't give me the same reason as the Santos Auto to grab it out of the watch box. Respect, yes, but not desire like the Santos.
As it stands, the GS is not dissimilar to what's already in the collection, the Santos is rather different.

The piggy bank has its mouth wide open and is looking rather hungry :)
Chris
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

If it’s the ultimate collection piece you seek then don’t let yourself be distracted from that path.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

1. Only the grail will completely satisfy, everything else is an also ran.

2. Having said that, a GS Spring Drive is really something (I have an SBGA099). Understated, discrete, a technical tour de force and a joy to wear. I disagree that it compares with anything else in any collection because it looks "similar" - believe me, it ain't.
IMG_1121.jpeg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I never thought I’d say this about a watch with Roman Numerals, but….. Santos Auto all day, every day! I actually tried on the Blue Dial, Large with date, a couple of weeks ago at an AD and it blew me away to be honest. I spent a while messing with the bracelet system, removing and replacing links etc.. and it really is something else. Plus, it fit like a glove and our lass really liked it. I almost walked out with one but couldn’t justify if financially. The Santos, in my opinion, really is an icon - let’s not forget it was the very first true pilots watch. Save up for the auto, no matter how long it takes, would be my advice - a true grail should not be easy attainable. My grail for nearly 6 years was an El Primero - it was worth the 6 year wait.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

A grail is a grail for many reasons, but bang for the buck is probably not one of them. Downers rules, viewtopic.php?t=33126 2,4,and 6 may certainly apply here. In my opinion, (and it's worth exactly what your paying for it) :lol: , Santos all the way. Good luck!
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight