Re-Visit

A place to discuss other watch-brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re-Visit

Post by kiter65 »

Read on an other thread that Patrick had repurchased a watch he had once owned, now this is something I have never done or can see doing. Just interested in how many members have done this and why :D
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Re-Visit

Post by H0rati0 »

Me neither, definitely not.

Once the decision has been made to move it on (I don't do it often and I will mull on it for a long time) no going back. There are plenty of interesting possibilities out there and the day after there will be yet others.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I noticed Patrick's re-acquisition too and, like you, found it curious. I guess it's solely about ruing letting a watch go in your past, one that you went on to realise you had greater attachment than you thought. I only have a very small number of watches and have built up a strong affection for each. To this day I can see why I chose what I chose, they still represent my current tastes. For this reason I never see me becoming a watch flipper, as well as possibly never owning more than six watches, my current watch box's capacity.

This will all be born out by time, I'll probably stray from the course. As we all know, there is a lot of temptation out there... :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I sold my first Speedmaster within 6 months of buying it, back in 2010. I found myself suddenly jobless and sold it to pay rent. I always intended to buy it again someday, and was finally able to re-visit it last year. It now sits happily on my wrist at least a few times a week, and will stay that way until I pass it on to my son :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm I sold my first Speedmaster within 6 months of buying it, back in 2010. I found myself suddenly jobless and sold it to pay rent. I always intended to buy it again someday, and was finally able to re-visit it last year. It now sits happily on my wrist at least a few times a week, and will stay that way until I pass it on to my son :D
Nice outcome after difficult times, I get that one Alex :thumbup:
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm I sold my first Speedmaster within 6 months of buying it, back in 2010. I found myself suddenly jobless and sold it to pay rent.
The one possible exception, but a nightmare catastrophe. :(
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I've never sold a watch but I think I'd treat them just the same way as women. When it's gone it's gone and never go back. There's a reason it was gone in the first place.

Selling a loved, valuable watch to fund a life choice would be a whole different bracket though.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ thanks, gents. Definitely a tough time in my life. Later met my wife, had a couple kids and now 5 years into a fulfilling and stable career. I told my wife the speedy story many times and how sad I was to let it go, and she actually surprised me with the same one last year!

I’m not a flipper at all. I sold one other watch ever, and learned from that purchase/sale what doesn’t work for me (who’da thunk a 45mm watch wouldn’t work on a 6” wrist? :lol: )
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I haven’t, but I can think of many valid reasons why someone may end up repurchasing a watch previously owned:

a) I would really like to try out watches A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, to decide which three or four that I prefer. I like them all, but given the cost, I don’t think I want to own more than 3 or 4 at any given time. It is not until I have owned them all that I will be able to decide on the three or four favourites to keep long term as part of my collection.

b) I would like to try one of these desirable PP, VC or AP models that people keep banging on about. Ok I will need to sell three of my Rolex to fund one. Some time later - well that wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, think I will sell and buy back the three I started with (or variation there of).

c) Oh look how much this one is now selling for. If I move it on I can try watch X. Still as I like the one I am selling, I will just ask the AD to get me another.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Are we talking about buying back a similar model or the actual watch that was sold?

Last fall I bought back a watch I had previously owned. It was a watch from my early teens that I had simply thrown out at some point! For sentimental reasons, I wanted to reacquire that model. After years of searching on eBay, I finally found a working model in decent condition and paid far too much to reacquire a piece of my childhood.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I've re-bought, but opting for different colour schemes. Does that count?

I purchased a 'midnight blue' Aquis, but sold it after a few months because I felt it wasn't 'blue enough' in most lighting. I eventually replaced this with the Clean Ocean LE after finding one available new.

I've also done the same with multiple C60 MK2s. Great watch, but I just wanted to try out the different 'flavours' on offer.
Ryan
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have done it twice, and ironically both times it was a CW. I had both a gold C5 Mk 1 and a C70 DBR1 back in the early days (around 2012/2013) but I sold them. Both came up for sale three or four years ago, and I decided I wanted them back. The other irony, of course, is that I don’t wear them very much. so it may be sell – buy – sell – bye-bye. Who knows. :ka:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:29 pm Are we talking about buying back a similar model or the actual watch that was sold?

Last fall I bought back a watch I had previously owned. It was a watch from my early teens that I had simply thrown out at some point! For sentimental reasons, I wanted to reacquire that model. After years of searching on eBay, I finally found a working model in decent condition and paid far too much to reacquire a piece of my childhood.
I've done this too. A couple of times. I haven't sold anything so I don't harbor any regret in that area.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I sold my Tudor Black Bay Blue, and Bought it's svelte brother the BB58 in blue, such a better fit.
I also sold my C2 FLE and later bought the standard version, didn't keep that either.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'm sure I'm not alone in regretting a few sales made in haste, perhaps when chasing a big purchase/consolidation. The Dan Henry was one such sale.

Looking back, I bought one in Feb 18 and owned for over 18 months. Here some 21 months down the road, I saw one online and regained the appreciation for what a great watch it is for not a lot of money (c. £200), not many decent watches around at that price point. One good thing is that I picked this one up for about £50 less than I sold mine back in 2019! I can't see a single mark on the one I bought either so happy with that.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way