Nine-Day Wonder (well, ten really)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Nine-Day Wonder (well, ten really)

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:56 am Spent an hour also walking on the seafront and tried to photograph the famous Triton statue. Difficult because the sun was right behind it.
That’s not a bad image at all, considering the location of the sun right behind it. And the images with repetion of the bright colors (are those doors?)….fantastic!

Well done!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 pm That’s not a bad image at all, considering the location of the sun right behind it. And the images with repetion of the bright colors (are those doors?)….fantastic!
Thank you, Andrew. Yes, they are beach huts. They are quite common in the seaside towns around here. I believe people can hire them or buy them. I did hear of one in nearby Southwold, which is a bit more upmarket, on sale for £150,000! :megaeek:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Beach huts are just crazy prices. Many have no electric, and you can't use them overnight, ( you might be able to use some) so I've no idea why they change hands for so much.

Once you get out of Lowestoft there are some lovely places on the Suffolk coast going south to Felixstowe. It's a lovely stretch.

On the other hand, I was flabbergasted when I happened upon Hemsby which may be in Norfolk. My flabber has never been so gasted, as Frankie was wont to say.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Pier Hotel in Gorleston make an appearance in the Yesterday film.
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:42 pm Once you get out of Lowestoft there are some lovely places on the Suffolk coast going south to Felixstowe. It's a lovely stretch.

On the other hand, I was flabbergasted when I happened upon Hemsby which may be in Norfolk. My flabber has never been so gasted, as Frankie was won't to say.
Hemsby is in Norfolk. Basically a suburb of Yarmuff. However, once you get further round the coast there are some lovely places, especially out along the north facing coast near to the Wash.

Some of those Suffolk places are lovely, as you say. A lot of second homers down there, so the prices in pubs are eye-watering and you can’t escape the black labradors and the hee-haw voices intoning: “Crispin, darling, please don’t do that to Jemima.”
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

My wife and I are regular visitors to both Suffolk and Norfolk. Three years ago we came close to buying a traditional Suffolk farmhouse near to Framlingham but with my growing commitments we changed our minds. One of our favourite coastal spots is Orford, off the beaten track but well worth visiting. The sunset never disappoints.

B0E2A6C6-A7D4-4ACF-AA4B-DAD2DF546D8A.jpeg
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Beach huts are harder to get than a Rolex, and similarly can go for ridiculous amounts of money too.
Plus they come in about as many colours as the Oyster Perpetual :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Day Six. Off to the gym later for a good session, then out for the afternoon. Today’s shirt is a real favourite. Just perfect on a Mediterranean seafront.

17535F5F-63F7-45D6-8F85-74032F6F2C43.jpeg
37184F25-5D90-44DA-90C1-546AD147F061.jpeg
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

Day Seven

Special shirt today. Bought in Lanzarote in 2003, and has been on every holiday since then.

Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

Day Eight. We will definitely make it through the full 10 days and could very easily stretch it to 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the prospect of work on Monday and Tuesday makes that somewhat impracticable.

Today’s choice of shirt is a Blanc du Nil.

3D8463C8-15EF-4C6B-B082-66322F5BC6EC.jpeg
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

Day nine...

275C92D5-5399-418C-A582-0205999C2FB6.jpeg
B7A093B5-D5A2-4667-99FF-171CE9C6474C.jpeg
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

A successful experiment concludes!

So, the final day of my MeisterSinger experiment. I think we can say it has been a success. When I can get around to taking a two week beach holiday, I will certainly be happy to take this as my only watch. As I said when I first bought the watch, it’s absolutely useless for a busy working day. But this week I haven’t really had to look too closely at the minutes, and in fact I haven’t found myself glancing at the time as much as I would normally do. Also, I really haven’t worried about whether it is gaining or losing the odd few seconds here and there. I check it every morning and it seems pretty spot-on.

BBC3AED8-9635-45FA-AD1A-0E5D07D23D41.jpeg

And for the final shirt of the week, a few parrots. Back to boring tomorrow.

D512A4EA-A284-48F9-B0AE-460E6B8C1D84.jpeg
Steve

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Interesting experiment Steve- and some super photos in there.

Although I know it was primarily geared towards understanding if one watch (and a single-hander at that) would work for a fortnight away, does it change your perspective on whether a solitary piece or significantly smaller collection might be more appropriate as you start to wind down from work and move towards a new chapter?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:56 am Day Five. Up early to take the car into Lowestoft for service. Found a nice little Italian café and had breakfast in the shady courtyard. Best café latte I’ve had for years (probably since the last time I was in Italy!) Spent an hour also walking on the seafront and tried to photograph the famous Triton statue. Difficult because the sun was right behind it.

Still enjoying the relative freedom of one watch, and being an automatic it needs no real interaction. As far as one can tell with these things, it’s pretty spot-on.
Splendid set of pictures. Gave me a real sense of vacation. Quite envious really.
Bjørn
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Would I be mistaken in the assumption that your affection lies as much with the lifestyle the watch represents as with the watch itself? Somewhat inseparable I would imagine.
Good luck, by the way, in that pursuit.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

richtel wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:39 am Interesting experiment Steve- and some super photos in there.

Although I know it was primarily geared towards understanding if one watch (and a single-hander at that) would work for a fortnight away, does it change your perspective on whether a solitary piece or significantly smaller collection might be more appropriate as you start to wind down from work and move towards a new chapter?
A solitary piece? No. A significantly smaller collection? Quite possibly.

Though the thinking, especially as regards the latter option, has been skewed in the last few weeks by the arrival of the Ulysse Nardin, slightly out of the blue and very left-field. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it has shot to the top of the Want to Wear list. It is going to be quite difficult to dislodge.

I had some doubts about the Meistersinger, but it has now proven its worth and I reckon it is safe. The Moonwatch and the Cartier Tank are similarly safe, being memento pieces. I’m reassessing at the moment, but I’m aware that I have several watches that I’m simply not wearing and, if the truth be known, I’m fairly unlikely to wear regularly in the future.
Steve