Incoming - but not what you think

A place to discuss other watch-brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Incoming - but not what you think

Post by H0rati0 »

Recently @Christnt bought himself the very nice Sinn 903 Navigationsuhr :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56739

And that set me thinking about the Breitling Navitimer as the Sinn derives from an old iteration salvaged from Breitling's dark days of near bankruptcy. No budget for now, but hours of lockdown amusement beckoned and a speculative punt on ebay resulted in:
IMG_1230.jpeg
IMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_1229.jpeg
So, back to my schooldays before the Sinclair Scientific changed the game.
IMG_1232.jpeg
I have to confess that my memory of the more advanced functions is hazy enough in English so the German instructions will be "interesting" :lol:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Incoming - but not what you think

Post by StrapMeister »

Good grief :shock: I haven't seen one of those in donkeys years.
As an Engineer my Dad had and used one.
As for me, I had a Casio Scientific Calculator* (c1978) :oops:
(*I actually think that I still have it somewhere)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

StrapMeister wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:38 pm Good grief :shock: I haven't seen one of those in donkeys years.
It's true, me neither. Like you, I switched to a calculator during A-levels (c1975) so only had about three years with mine (long since disappeared). The Breitling slide rule started me down memory lane but what clinched it was chats with first my step-daughter and then one of my students (age about 20) who was asking advice because he and a bunch of friends are into the "old" ways, mechanical cameras (and Polaroids - remember them?) vintage bikes and cars etc, not to mention of course mechanical watches.

I'm so anti-fashion that I'm cool again!

I would have liked to get an old Brit (eg a Thornton like my original) but would have run into German VAT/clearance issues pushing up costs unrealistically :roll:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:56 pm
StrapMeister wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:38 pm Good grief :shock: I haven't seen one of those in donkeys years.
It's true, me neither. Like you, I switched to a calculator during A-levels (c1975) so only had about three years with mine (long since disappeared). .... (and Polaroids - remember them?) ....
Noooo :yes: :lol:
Polaroid instamatic - point, fire and out came the photo :D
H0rati0 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:56 pm I'm so anti-fashion that I'm cool again!
Yep :D
Hope you kept those old flares...back in fashion and called boot cut now :thumbup: