Tudor BB Ceramic Master Chronometer

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Tudor BB Ceramic Master Chronometer

Post by strapline »

My thoughts...at that money give me one of the new chrono's or the 925. LBH as a genuine dive watch, useless. No lumed pip for timing dives, and a bezel with what appears to be limited contrast. And what about this hybrid leather/rubber strap; how will it stand up to an hours' immersion in seawater. I guess the real draw is ceramic, if that's your thing, and a timing tolerance of 5secs per day. Not their best IMO, but there will be many buyers, Tudor are the darling of the watch world right now.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Ceramic is a terrible material for a watch case especially for a tool watch. It is very hard so it doesn't scratch but it is also somewhat brittle. It doesn't take much of an impact to break or chip. It is also weak to shear and tension forces. It is also very resistant to chemicals.

I'm not sure why companies continue to put them out other than they can charge a premium for an inferior material. They look great but don't drop it or bang it on anything.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

rkovars wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:59 pm They look great but don't drop it or bang it on anything.
How many 1000's have been made over the last 20+ years and how many reports have there been of damaged watches. Probably the same % as getting a seriously bad reaction to a covid vaccine.
'Tis me
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I see them on forums all of the time with chips and broken lugs. It takes far less than you would think.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

rkovars wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:37 pm I see them on forums all of the time with chips and broken lugs. It takes far less than you would think.
No it doesn't. Not at all.

I bet many of those pics are recycled.

When I used to belong to the Omega forum, no-one could substantiate the first photo that came out with a lug missing after the release of DSOTM. Then two members reported issues and Omega replaced the cases. One had dropped his. The other had a piece break off from the lug area

I have had my DSOTM for seven years. It's been bashed by car doors, iron security doors and dropped on to hard tiles with zero effect. The same iron security door put a ding in my Bremont U2 Blue. In fact, I used my DSOTM regularly to fly, as it brushed off all the minor knocks against metal and whatever as you journey thought an airport in the tight spaces of cattle class. A friends wife had a Rado from new bought over 20 years ago. Still looks brand new, and that includes the ceramic bracelet.
'Tis me
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

To each his own. You can't argue the physics. It is simply a more brittle material. It has its uses but not in watches.

EDIT TO ADD: The photos I see aren't the same watch. Over the last few years I have seen multiple examples of different ceramic cases over multiple price points. You can also see it in the ceramic bezels on places like Crown and Caliber. They look like saw blades because of the chips out of them. I admit they might not be visible to the eye without magnification but they are there.
Jack London
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

rkovars wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:42 pm It has its uses but not in watches.
And that, quite frankly, is a ludicrous statement.

Go and buy one and live with it for 7 years like I have, then come back and give an opinion.
'Tis me
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I recall a thread here not too long ago of a forum member’s ceramic CW (can’t remember the model) having the lug sheared off, and CW saying they cannot repair or replace it.

That would never happen to a SS/gold/titanium watch.

Caller, you have had a good experience with your ceramic watch. That doesn’t mean all ceramic watches are free of ceramic’s propensity to shatter.

Rkovars, I’d argue that it DOES have its use in watches. Simply because watch companies make them, and people buy them :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

ajax87 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:13 pm Rkovars, I’d argue that it DOES have its use in watches. Simply because watch companies make them, and people buy them :D
Can't argue that one! :lol:
Jack London
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well it is certainly not the watch that I was hoping Tudor would be releasing on 25 May. :thumbdown:

It is still not clear to me whether this is the watch intended as the tie in with the MN, or just a random release, with the expected MN watch still to be launched.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

ajax87 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:13 pmCaller, you have had a good experience with your ceramic watch. That doesn’t mean all ceramic watches are free of ceramic’s propensity to shatter.
I have never said they didn't, although 'shatter' is rather over-egging it. It's actually one of the reasons I replaced the buckle on the original DSOTM with a titanium and ceramic clasp from another DSOTM model. There are other valid reasons for ceramic watches apart from the obvious reason they are popular, hence companies keep producing them. They are lightweight, longevity and appearance - they continue to look new.
'Tis me
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Caller wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:28 pm
ajax87 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:13 pmCaller, you have had a good experience with your ceramic watch. That doesn’t mean all ceramic watches are free of ceramic’s propensity to shatter.
I have never said they didn't, although 'shatter' is rather over-egging it. It's actually one of the reasons I replaced the buckle on the original DSOTM with a titanium and ceramic clasp from another DSOTM model. There are other valid reasons for ceramic watches apart from the obvious reason they are popular, hence companies keep producing them. They are lightweight, longevity and appearance - they continue to look new.
Good points. Maybe I should have used shear or break instead of shatter.

Ceramic’s scratch resistance and lightness is very desirable in a case material. Enough to counter the brittleness of the material? Consumers have obviously said “yes”.

A better option with those same perks might be titanium in a high grade or with a hardened coating. Much like the RZE Endeavor that you and I have both pre-ordered :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925