Antiques Roadshow comes through again

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Antiques Roadshow comes through again

Post by jkbarnes »

I love when great watches come up on Antiques Roadshow. In this case, a man tears up when he learns about his late father’s beloved Rolex Submariner.

Vintage Rolex “Red” Submariner.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Antiques Roadshow comes through again

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^^
How do you get the roadshow in the US of A, Andrew?

I do struggle with all these valuable old Rolexes. Why so valuable? I can see the valuations heading south, like brown furniture at some point. Those pearls were some price as well, weren't they. And the old RAF uniform at the end.

Long case clocks/grandfather clocks used to be expensive. I bet you struggle shifting them now.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 pm ^^^^^^
How do you get the roadshow in the US of A, Andrew?
I don’t! The link is to an article on the Time & Tide website. I did watch the clip however, that was linked to in the article.
Drew
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

A priceless family artifact with personal and emotional resonance, or £20k?

Maybe he has no interest in watches but needs a new kitchen :lol:

Lovely thing to own but you'd be terrified to wear it :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:40 pm Lovely thing to own but you'd be terrified to wear it :(
Very true! If it were me, I’d be scared to wear it because of it’s monetary value, but I could never part with it because of it’s sentimental value....what to do with it then? I guess I’d try to find away to commemorate my dad with it in some sort of display?

Or if I did sell it, I’d use the money in a manner that pays tribute to dad, paying college tuition with it perhaps?
Drew
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I will have to check, but I believe Antique Roadshow is still being aired on PBS here in the states. Can't say if they are still filming or just showing reruns. Worth checking into, Great show. As for me, though obviously not a daily beater, that Sub would get worn everytime the mood struck me.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

watchaholic wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 pm I will have to check, but I believe Antique Roadshow is still being aired on PBS here in the states. Can't say if they are still filming or just showing reruns. Worth checking into, Great show. As for me, though obviously not a daily beater, that Sub would get worn everytime the mood struck me.
It is; I watch it regularly. But this was from the British version which is NOT routinely aired here.

I’m fairly confident I would just be too scared to wear the watch!
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:40 pm It is; I watch it regularly. But this was from the British version which is NOT routinely aired here.

I’m fairly confident I just be too scared to wear the watch!
That's correct Andrew.

This Rolex was in the programme aired last Sunday, May 16th, on BBC1 here in UK.

My niece has my Father's Omega Constellation, that was his daily wear for many years, so the 'would I be scared to wear a valuable heirloom?' question doesn't arise for me.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

I have a work client that has a Rolex "Red" received in 1975 as a gift from his late father on his 15th birthday. He was kind enough to show me one day at a project meeting after I complimented him on his Sub. At the time I was not aware of the rarity of the "Red" version but he explained some of the history and I later looked it up.

He indicated that it had been valued in excess of $50,000AUD a 'few' years ago.

He has worn it as his daily since he received it and it is still in very good condition.
Ian
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I would wear it and get pleasure from it, simply because I know the minute I’m gone my boy would be straight up the pawnshop, so keeping locked away I would only be saving it for him to sell :D
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

[quote=jkbarnes post_id=863634 time=1621374005 u
[/quote]
I’m fairly confident I would just be too scared to wear the watch!
[/quote]

I'll be honest and say that I struggle with this way of thinking. His father didn't pass it on for it to be hidden away in a box and he sees it as part of his father. The value is immaterial as it's only a watch. The only value this watch has for the bloke is sentimental. I'd have it on all the time.

I got a fright recently when I checked the 2nd hand market for my now discontinued explorer 214270 MK2 and I had a 30 second debate with myself on whether it should just sit in the safe or not. At the end of the day it's just a watch and it's meant to be worn.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

For those that want to know a bit more about the 1680 Red Submariner, here is a decent article, that explains the different versions.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/ ... -1680.html
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 am I'll be honest and say that I struggle with this way of thinking. His father didn't pass it on for it to be hidden away in a box and he sees it as part of his father. The value is immaterial as it's only a watch. The only value this watch has for the bloke is sentimental. I'd have it on all the time.
I don’t disagree with that at all. In fact, I absolutely think it should be worn and enjoyed. What better tribute to his father? I’m just being honest that, knowing it’s value, I really do think I’d be scared to wear it! My head would constantly be filled with thoughts of, “What if I lose it? What if I’m robbed? What if I fall and smash it?” I’m a born worrier, can’t help it.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The value is in selling it, and treating it as an inheritance, I think.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I absolutely think it should be worn and enjoyed.
That's the rub isn't it - it should be worn ... and enjoyed. If concern about loss or damage removes the enjoyment, then there's no pleasure in wearing it. While the value may be sentimental. there is a financial value too that can't be ignored. If he's lucky enough not to need the money, then keep it certainly, but if he needs the money well, it's not as though he will forget his Dad if he sells.

I always think (I do enjoy AR) that in a way, the best result is if something you love is worth enough, but not a fortune so not faced with a decision as to sell or not. Of course if something you don't really like IS worth a fortune ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left