Vostok Submarine Clock Escapements...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Vostok Submarine Clock Escapements...

Post by artphotodude »

PLEASE don't be mad about this being a clock rather than a watch question (not sure of a place to ask it), and if it is breaking some rule to ask here, won't be upset if you take it down :wave:

Have thought one of these would be really cool for a long time, and they are up on Ebay all the time,
sc.jpg

BUT a lot of them don't work and on talking to the sellers they all have one thing in common (They've been DROPPED). Well it turns out that they have balance wheel 'escapement' modules with essentially pocket-watch parts,
esc.jpg

in a convenient replacement 'board' inside that controls the big, beefy clock parts - apparently these got dropped enough on actual submarines that they made fixing them EASY!

So the question is: Does anyone know a good source for these replacement escapements? All the Vostok clocks seem to use the same one. I've emailed Meranom to ask if they still have them (they were still selling the clocks just a few years ago), but if not, I'd like to pickup a couple to keep should mine fall. The clocks are otherwise next-to-indestructible, and this seems to be the "Glass Jaw" of the unit.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Vostok Submarine Clock Escapements...

Post by Kip »

It is called a "Platform Escapement". Frequently, when dropped, the balance staff pivot breaks. you can tell this pretty easily by trying to spin the balance wheel by hand. If it wobbles or won't turn it is broken.

I have never worked on a Vostok marine clock so don't know if the staff can be replaced. They can on US marine clocks. If so, a watchmaker could do so if he can source the part. I don't know a source, but if you look up "Vostok Platform Escapement" several sources come up. I see replacement ones for about $70.00 which seems reasonable assuming they work okay.

I might also suggest if replacing the escapement it is a good opportunity to get the clock serviced.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Kip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:29 am It is called a "Platform Escapement". Frequently, when dropped, the balance staff pivot breaks. you can tell this pretty easily by trying to spin the balance wheel by hand. If it wobbles or won't turn it is broken.

I have never worked on a Vostok marine clock so don't know if the staff can be replaced. They can on US marine clocks. If so, a watchmaker could do so if he can source the part. I don't know a source, but if you look up "Vostok Platform Escapement" several sources come up. I see replacement ones for about $70.00 which seems reasonable assuming they work okay.

I might also suggest if replacing the escapement it is a good opportunity to get the clock serviced.
Meranom says they are not available anymore. The sad fact is there are roughly 3 replacements for every 6 broken clocks! NOT great math :shock:
I'll just find one that's working. Trying to repair this part is likely very difficult.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

UPDATE - so found a strategy. There are SCADS of these with very plain dials available for cheap that WORK - apparently the Soviets wanted all the pretty ones on the front lines! Many of these are under $100 and represent a great replacement-part source, and for people who are not into all the old "C.C.C.P. Swag" a better deal anyway.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A donor movement never hurts. Always good to have spare parts for old clocks.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Kip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:48 pm A donor movement never hurts. Always good to have spare parts for old clocks.
TrueDat! This is a great strategy in general with Russian Horology, where there really aren't that many movements. Raketa (my Fav) has SO MANY Styles of watches that rock, and really only 4 or 5 movements (all variations on the 2609) that can share parts.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Picked up a good sample (came with mounting plate, 2 keys and the Clock in close to mint condition.
WHAT A GREAT CLOCK! Has currently been running +- 10 seconds a week!