New watch disappointment

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

New watch disappointment

Post by Gower8484 »

So I get a call telling me that the new Tudor Chrono is in store waiting for me.
The moment i saw the photos of both the black and white versions i knew I wanted one of them so phoned my AD and put my order in.

I drop what I'm doing and head straight into town to try the watches on.
Now I'm a big Tudor fan and own 2 of their watches, but for me the new Chrono is a huge disappointment. Before even trying them on I knew I wouldn't be buying one.
I really loved both in the photos and feared I wouldn't be able to pick one.
However getting close to them I think they look way too big and out of proportion and just a little cheap to be honest. (White is nicer than the black though).

Has anyone else been absolutely convinced they wanted a watch only to be let down once you've actually got your hand on one?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: New watch disappointment

Post by downer »

Yup. Many times.

Here's one example - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19056

I also recall trying on a VC Overseas, which, for a long time was my "one watch to end the madness" watch. I was underwhelmed by it.
Richard
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Yup many times. The original Christopher Ward chronograph, the recent Omega America's Cup chronograph to name just two. Watches by Tudor, Rolex, and many others haven't been what I wanted when I saw them in real life. It's part of the fun. The build up, the disappointment, the renewed search and finally the "one".
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Funnily enough I felt this way when I got to try on the BB58 blue when it has first come out. The previous version had been the darling of the internet. I went in to the AD wearing a quartz £500 diver that I love. When the 58 was presented to me it felt small, delicate, almost like a jewellery item. It seemed to really lack the physical presence I like in a diver; it felt more like a dress watch than a tool watch. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine looking item; but the more I cast my eye back and fourth between the two watches, I wasn't convinced that spending an extra 2G was going to leave me feeling anymore satisfied than I already was.

This isn't a criticism that I'm levelling at Tudor alone, I think this can happen with any mid to high end luxury watch. This was just my experience of one watch, one brand.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

100% and it's part of The Game. Almost anybody who has been down the road a few times knows the experience.
You are right about the Tudor Chrono - for you. And someone else who responds quite differently to it isn't wrong either.
Nothing beats "in the metal" and what works for you or otherwise. Pics and vids are not 3D and someone else's opinion doesn't matter. It's your experience that does.
I've certainly been there a few times and I've also tried on some that surprised the hell out of me in a good way.

And there you go with Des' experience of the BB58 Blue. I have a smaller wrist perhaps so the presence factor is fine for me. The BB58 Black didn't do it but the Blue is now a firm favourite.
Good news: the Chase is FUN.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I've never been disappointed initially with one that I've bought, but a few have left me underwhelmed when I've looked in a store.

I used to lust after a watch from Christiaan van der Klaauw, a triple-date moonphase chronograph. I tried on a Longines that was exactly the same size and had the same functions and a virtually identical appearance (albeit about 20% of the price) - everything was far too small to read properly and the dial still looked overcrowded. The CvdK lost its grail status around then.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Not long after I got into watches, I was in an AD and offered the chance to try on a few watches. One that I recall being disappointed with was the Omega Speedy Moonwatch. I must try one out again at some point but it just didn't resonate, despite obviously being an iconic watch loved by many. Shows that we are all different.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am Not long after I got into watches, I was in an AD and offered the chance to try on a few watches. One that I recall being disappointed with was the Omega Speedy Moonwatch. I must try one out again at some point but it just didn't resonate, despite obviously being an iconic watch loved by many. Shows that were are all different.
I was disappointed with the moonwatch 'in the metal.
That is why I went with the reduced. Clearly it doesnt have the prestige of the moonwatch and the movement is nowhere near as good but for me i much prefer the reduced
20210505_202131.jpg