My Dog Sighs has arrived....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: My Dog Sighs has arrived....

Post by Richard D »

jtc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:25 amThe case shape reminds me a lot of the older CW C8 pilot watches. I wonder if they're using the same supplier?
Cool is a good description, I posted the same photographs on a art enthusiasts/collectors group and the reaction has been overwhelmingly favourable. In fact not one negative comment.

As for the case, they are manufactured in Lugano, Switzerland. Any similarity might be the influence of ex CW staff who have joined TRIBUS.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

My personal idea of Artistic Adventure is my car in Turmeric Yellow :)
So this one not in my wheelhouse.
That said: I have to applaud the original artistry, the conviction to produce it, and the embrace of it all. :thumbup:
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

As someone who doesn't get modern art but wishes he did, I can appreciate why someone would love this but it doesn't do anything for me. Good to hear the watch itself is of a good quality; just make sure your wife lets you wear it on the odd occasion!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Richard D wrote:I posted the same photographs on a art enthusiasts/collectors group and the reaction has been overwhelmingly favourable. In fact not one negative comment.

As for the case, they are manufactured in Lugano, Switzerland. . . .
I'll advocate that Art enthusiasts / collectors are more likely to be the owner of this sort of watch, than watch enthusiasts.

Personally, I don't 'get' modern art. Each to his or her own.

On the quality front I recall reading somewhere that Tribus watches are made in the same facility as IWC. Perhaps in the same way that CW/SH produce watches for MeisterSinger.

For the strap? That needs to remain plain, perhaps in an alternative colour to black, otherwise it risks visual overload.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 amFor the strap? That needs to remain plain, perhaps in an alternative colour to black, otherwise it risks visual overload.
It’s difficult to see from the photographs, the strap is not black. It’s a subtle grey, more gun metal which works well with the case, the focus remaining on the dial vibrancy. As for ‘modern art’ it has been with us for approximately 100 years, known for its avant-garde aesthetic and celebrated for its forward-thinking artists. I like to think that this collaboration has made a significant contribution to how art can be enjoyed.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Fat-Sam
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The box is neat as well. I wonder if all 50 boxes are the same, or whether the box matches the watch?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

JAFO wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 pm The box is neat as well. I wonder if all 50 boxes are the same, or whether the box matches the watch?
All very different and signed individually by the artist. Something that I’ve never seen before.
Richard

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Very interesting watch and congratulations on securing #1 of the series. I do like the style of this artwork as I like brightly colours and I could see it hung on my wall, however I'm not completely sure about how it works on the wrist. Having said that, it is unique and certainly a conversation piece. I looked at a few of the others works of MDS and they were somewhat more subdued so I think it was a good choice to go with this more colourful series for the watch.

I was interested to read your earlier comment that you always thought that Tribus would not find favour on this forum. I'm sure there is a lot of goodwill towards Chris Ward, many on the forum have met him including myself, and I don't think there is a pre-disposition to dislike whatever Tribus release. I think it is more the case that people just express their opinion, in my case I've said I think a few of the watches look excellent but the prices I find somewhat high. There are many regulars on the forum who criticise CW, their watches and marketing or whatever if they do not agree with it or do not like it.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:58 pm Very interesting watch and congratulations on securing #1 of the series. I do like the style of this artwork as I like brightly colours and I could see it hung on my wall, however I'm not completely sure about how it works on the wrist. Having said that, it is unique and certainly a conversation piece. I looked at a few of the others works of MDS and they were somewhat more subdued so I think it was a good choice to go with this more colourful series for the watch.

I was interested to read your earlier comment that you always thought that Tribus would not find favour on this forum. I'm sure there is a lot of goodwill towards Chris Ward, many on the forum have met him including myself, and I don't think there is a pre-disposition to dislike whatever Tribus release. I think it is more the case that people just express their opinion, in my case I've said I think a few of the watches look excellent but the prices I find somewhat high. There are many regulars on the forum who criticise CW, their watches and marketing or whatever if they do not agree with it or do not like it.
Patrick, I have no doubt goodwill exists. However, there are few who seem to take delight in their negativity and have turned it onto me. For example, I’ve been accused on several Facebook groups of ‘ramming TRIBUS down their throats’. My posts have been no different than anyone else’s. I did hesitate posting on this forum but was persuaded to do so by a couple of friends.
Richard

golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Glad you like it, i'd still need hour markers though.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Did you go for #1 Richard for the number or the artwork? Just curious.

Looking at them on the Tribus website, 11 of 50 showing as sold at the time of writing. For such a colourful piece I think the images on the website are quite dull and don't fully show the vibrancy of the dial that comes across from your photos.

Not a buyer, or hater, just an observer.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm Did you go for #1 Richard for the number or the artwork? Just curious.
My wife and I looked at all the dials, a near impossible task to decide on which. We did draw up a shortlist but in the end it was my wife who settled on #01.
Richard

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I think it's great that a brand is prepared to get involved in something that shakes the orthodoxy of what a watch should be like and is meant to represent. Especially at the more affordable end of the market.

Because of that and because I love abstract art and am more than happy for a piece to just be, without representing anything, I should be more enthusiastic about these pieces than I am. The watch is a nice blank canvas for the artist and as nice as it is, it just doesn't really hit the spot for me. I would like to see big bold colours used sparingly. Instead, there is a sort of 'summer of love' vibe to them.

But that's just me. Others will just love the colours and not worry about anything else and that's just great.

It will be interesting to see if Tribus create another series involving artists. I hope so.
'Tis me
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Caller wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:26 pm I think it's great that a brand is prepared to get involved in something that shakes the orthodoxy of what a watch should be like and is meant to represent.
Absolutely, just one of the many reason why I was attracted to TRIBUS.
Richard

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Art is, and always has been, an intensely personal and subjective matter. It’s the nature of the beast.

Anything that is Neo and avant-garde is likely to produce a considerable gamut of reaction. Gothic building was probably the most audacious thing ever attempted up to that time (and for centuries thereafter). Look at what they were achieving at places like Reims, Amiens and Beauvais, let alone Notre Dame and the Sainte Chapelle. That movement absolutely rocked mediaeval Europe. But I dare say there were a lot of naysayers to begin with. After all, Romanesque was pretty good.

Bach and his ilk came along in the 18th century and revolutionised music. I don’t imagine they were universally applauded in their time. Wasn’t Beethoven booed off the platform?

Anyway, apologies for digressing. This particular art is not for me, I knowledge that. However, it is clear that to some people it is precious and extraordinary, and it is good to see people’s passion for things that perhaps one doesn’t always understand oneself.

Richard, I hope you haven’t felt a lot of negative reaction on this particular thread. Having read it with interest, I have seen a lot of very positive reactions. It’s a bit silly to feel negative about the brand itself, though I know their initial marketing drive was not to everyone’s taste. Chris is a thoroughly good man, and I’m sure I could be interested in TRIBUS if they produced a watch I really liked the look of. Up to now, nothing has especially appealed to me.

You are certainly right in one thing: this forum is a collection of Watchies and, whilst retaining the right to express individual preferences, we should embrace a spirit of tolerance in all things horological, excepting of course those which we are not allowed to mention!

I hope your good lady enjoys the watch which she seems to have snaffled so expertly from your wrist on Day One! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)