A place to discuss other watch-brands
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Tudor new releases

Post by albionphoto »

Kip wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 am
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 pm Am I the only one who doesn’t really “get” the Tudor Black Bay series?
You are not alone.
I don't get them either. Fear not, Steve, you're not alone.
I know someone who has the silver case version. He claims it's impossible not to really scratch the case when changing the strap. He'll baby it because the soft case is sure to dent easily. My favourite Tudor was the North Flag. Very "jewel" like and no snowflakes anywhere to be seen.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think we need a poll! :D

- are you in the category that “doesn’t get the black bay range - what are those strange hands and that slab sided case”

- are you in the category that “doesn’t get the modern Seamaster diver - what is that thing sticking out from the left side of the case”

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Category 3 option. Don’t get either.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Ah you mean “buy a Submariner instead...”

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Wot? The Blob Watch?? :shock:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Part of the non-appeal for me is the slab sided case most come in. I’ve seen it referred to as “ole slab sides”, and for some seems to be an endearing quality. I try not to be negative about most things on the forum, but I just don’t see a lot of thought or imagination going on here.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I love my original BB36 (eta movement), but then I've always liked the snowflake hand. This was released at a time when all other BB watches had movable bezels and were dive watches (not really my thing) . I liked the straightforward sports watch vibe of the BB 36 which stood out against the other models. Bracelet and clasp are excellent.

I'm not into just any Black Bay. And I just don't like this year's two-tone non-dive offerings.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

watchaholic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 am Part of the non-appeal for me is the slab sided case most come in. I’ve seen it referred to as “ole slab sides”, and for some seems to be an endearing quality. I try not to be negative about most things on the forum, but I just don’t see a lot of thought or imagination going on here.
They were always big and slabby but it got worse when they moved away from ETA movements. The original 'Rose' releases were a manageable 12.7 mm. The new in house movements pushed them over 14.5 mm. I actually tried on a Rose 41 and a new 41 last night. There is a marked difference in the wearability of both cases. I really like the regular 41 and think if I were to buy one I would try to get a Rose even though with 7.5 inch wrists I think I could pull off the new one. The older version just wears better.

I think they kept the slab sides because of the visual recognition factor. You see the side and know it is a Tudor. The problem is they boxed themselves into a corner with this line of thinking because they were reluctant to mitigate the slab in any way with say a chamfer around the bottom edge for example. Anything to break up that big wall of steel.

The BB line in general isn't trying to be imaginative. It is the heritage line harking back to when, let's face it, Tudor sold cheaper Rolexes. They basically used all Rolex parts except for the movement in a lot of models back in those days. They can't or won't do that now so they have evolved into their own thing but the BB line still harkens back to those times.

EDIT to add: I also think the long hiatus of US sales plays a part here. There were many models during that period that we didn't see. For me Tudor is still in the lane they have always been in. For those overseas in the early 2000s they were doing some very different stuff.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
watchaholic
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London