New Arrival

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

New Arrival

Post by Lavaine »

A recent new arrival thanks to the Forum. This is a watch I've had my eye on for a while. I like military style watches, currently owning a Hamilton Khaki Field and Khaki Field Chrono, a CW C5A, HK ED 1963 Chinese Air Force and a Speedbird III. Even more than that though, I've been wanting this watch in particular because it just happens to have my initials on the dial.
Our own Miss F mentioned in another thread that she owned this watch, and was thinking about selling it. A few PM's later, and the watch was on it's way to me.
Without further ado:
20210425_081404.jpg
The CWC G10 is a quartz field watch that is issued by the British Armed Forces between 1980 and 2008. It was the follow up to the mechanical W10 watch issued during the 1970's. CWC still produces the G10 today for sale to civilians. Unlike other 'military inspired' field watches, this one is identical to the military issue. That means fixed spring bars for durability, acrylic crystal, and bead blasted case with no shiny bits. It ships with a traditional Admirality Grey NATO strap. Lindsey included this grey and white RAF strap, and I think it matches the watch perfectly. Despite owning more NATO straps than I will ever need, I've never owned an RAF strap. This one won't be my last. I prefer the shorter length with nothing tucked in.
The MOD spec NATO strap included with the watch is good quality, but odd. It is easily the longest NATO I've ever owned. I normally have a few holes left on NATO's and they generally fit a 6" wrist, or even slightly smaller. On my 6 3/8" wrist the NATO is on the last hole, with more excess strap than I can tuck.
20210426_133845.jpg
The back features an easy change battery hatch (why aren't these more common), The model number and NATO stock number. (W10 6645-99), the serial number, the issue number (4 digits followed by the year of production), and the pheon, or broadarrow, mark. Oddly, even though the watch is designated as a G10 to differentiate it from the mechanical W10, it still carries the W10 signifier on the back.

Thanks for selling me this one Lindsey. It's fun to wear a watch with your own initials on the dial, and it's a perfect addition to my other military and pilot inspired watches. I'll try and add a picture of my small mil/pil collection later.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: New Arrival

Post by exHowfener »

Well done bagging that. they really are great watches. I have a 1989 version - a genuine military issued watch, the case back is completely different. I think the civvy versions have details on that play to the market a bit. Yes, the battery change is a great feature - Swatch are the same and you only need a small coin to open it.
Incidentally, they were never officially called 'G10', that's derived from the G1098 form used to list/issue a unit's stores, watches being just ones of the items.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Glad it arrived safely Chris, and thanks for the write-up. Glad the watch has found a good home :D :wave:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Congratulations Chris! Totally agree on the battery hatch idea they have.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

As promised, a shot of my military/pilot watches. I quite enjoy this as a sub-collection. I think most of us, myself included, love divers, but mil/pil's provide more variation in design. Interestingly, they are all under 40mm as well, and all would qualify as affordables, with the most expensive being the Glycine, which was under CAD $1000.
20210426_151537.jpg
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.