Proper watch brand name pronunciation

A place to discuss other watch-brands

What do you believe is the proper watch brand pronunciation? Please select one for each brand

Poll ended at Sun May 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Zenith ( ZEN-ITH)
33%
Zenith ( ZEE- NITH)
1%
Bremont (BREM-ONT)
27%
Bremont (BRIE-MONT)
5%
Brietling (BRIGHT-LING)
32%
Brietling (BREET-LING)
2%

Total votes: 92

cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Re: Proper watch brand name pronunciation

Post by cincfleet »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 pm
cincfleet wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:06 pm One of my problems is "Ulysse Nardin"? I get the "Nardin" its just that first bit, is it 'You-le-see' or 'You'll-see' or 'You'll ease' or something compleely different? :lol: :wave:
The nearest you will get to it with an English transcription is something like: “You lease” but you have to try to drop the Y sound at the beginning, because it’s not a diphthong. The sound is the same as the German Ü.

The best way to make this sound is to put your mouth in the position to say “Ooh”, but then without moving your tongue, teeth or lips try to say “Eee”.

The problem being that French vowel sounds tend to be much purer than English ones, which are often made up of two or three individual sounds. Someone like the Queen, for example, trying to say “oh” back in the 1950s would have sounded like a cat in distress. “Ay-ow”. Her accent has become much flatter as she has got older.

When I taught French, I always used to tell the kids that the best way to sound authentic when reading French was to pronounce it as if you were on the program “Allô Allô”.
Steve, many thanks for that, I struggle with my English as it is! LOL, but this one has bugged me no end LOL :thumbup:
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

NO PARKING
This space is reserved
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Interesting that the majority thus far have gone for BREM-ONT - which is actually wrong!
The Company's name originates from the name of a French farmer that rescued/helped Nick and Giles father when he crashed landed in a field.
Therefore, it would be pronounced in French such that the E would, strictly speaking, have a accent over it and you wouldn't pronounce the T, so something like BREY-MON
:klugscheisser:
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I think the brothers pronounce it Brem-ont, but, rightly or wrongly. I pronounce it Bray-mont. I pronounce the T because I'm hopelessly anglophone (and us North Americans are terribly uncouth).
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 pm
When I taught French, I always used to tell the kids that the best way to sound authentic when reading French was to pronounce it as if you were on the program “Allô Allô”.
That must have been a long time ago if the kids had heard of Allo, Allo. (I hope you told them to listen carefully as you were only going to say it once :) )
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

StrapMeister wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm Interesting that the majority thus far have gone for BREM-ONT - which is actually wrong!
The Company's name originates from the name of a French farmer that rescued/helped Nick and Giles father when he crashed landed in a field.
Therefore, it would be pronounced in French such that the E would, strictly speaking, have a accent over it and you wouldn't pronounce the T, so something like BREY-MON
:klugscheisser:
I would have voted for Bray-mon/Brey-mon had it been on option as the French pronunciation is the one the English brothers use.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ The point being that in a closed pole, you can only vote on the options you are given.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:27 pm
JAFO wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:18 pm Omega. I think it's omm ig uh"
Some say "om ee ga"
They’re all wrong. It’s o-MAY-ga.
I think I'm getting them all wrong, Steve.
Google seems to think it's
Uh-mei-guh, which definitely agrees with you. :D

I was in France one year when Denmark won the Euros, and the French commentators didn't bother trying to get the players names right, unlike the BBC. Peter Schmeichel was Shmay-Shell.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Doesn't surprise me. French and English speakers are among the world's worst and laziest linguists.

All I know is that Omega is a Greek letter, and that's how the Greeks pronounce it. Seems a bit disrespectful not to follow their lead.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I genuinely thought the stress was on the first syllable. Clearly it's not.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Proper watch brand name pronunciation

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
JAFO wrote:Omega. I think it's omm ig uh"
Some say "om ee ga"
They’re all wrong. It’s o-MAY-ga.
I freely use both O-mee-ga and O-may-ga interchangeably and frequently within the same sentence. I probably use O-mee-ga 75-80% of the time, O-may-ga the rest of the time. Don’t thing I’ve ever used the OMM-ig-a pronunciation ever, except perhaps by mistake or in parody... Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier